“Poor service - Malaysia”

The Oriental Residency
Ranked #53 of 454 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Poor service - Malaysia”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was my first trip to India with my family and Mumbai was our last destination before we headed back to Malaysia. After reading all reviews on tripadvisor I booked this hotel thinking it will be a great hotel to stay. Unfortunately I didn't like the service that was received , the cleanliness was very poor and unfriendly staff especially Mr Amit and Mr Deepak.

Whenever we had a small request, there was always a negative answer first before a solution can be given. It was always a ' cannot Mem ' , ' I'm sorry mem we can't ' ... What kind of a customer service is this ?

On our last day of checkout , our flight was at midnight and hence we needed a place to just freshen up at abt 6.00pm before we headed to the airport. I had requested tht can we just be given a room ( not to stay obviously ) but just needed to freshen up and change into warmer clothings. Well the response we got from Mr Deepak was sorry we need to charge you RS 3000 for that. I mean what kind of a service is this ? It was not that we wanted to sleep or bathe in the room that the hotel needed to take money out of us. In Amritsar and Delhi we had late flights and the hotels there were so accommodating and great that they were ever willing to do anything for us.

The most important thing is that there was no wifi. Guest at the hotel needed to pay to get wifi and this to me was utter rubbish because being guest , we should be given access on a complimentary basis and not pay.

The worst thing is I had given clothes for laundry and when it came back, they lost my daughter's jeans. I told Mr Fahad and the person who took my laundry to please find the pair. The first response given by them is it cannot be lost by them because previously there have never been complaints from customers. I was already furious at that moment and I told Mr Fahad no matter what I want the jeans back. On the same evening the housekeeping guy knocks on my door with my daughter's jeans in his hands. So what does this tell you ? They are so unprofessional.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone . This hotel was bad.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SimeeNov2013
Sameer Y, General Manager at The Oriental Residency, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel The Oriental Residency, Mumbai and taking your time out to share your experience with us through TripAdvisor!

We are glad you were able to enjoy a generous service experience with us and have carried back fond memories of your stay at our property. Every effort is made to ensure that world-class facilities and comforts are offered to our guests and appreciative comments such as yours are most encouraging and will always be our greatest reward.

Sameer Yelve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Blanes, Spain
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Timeous pick up, clean rooms, lovely food, convenient location and amazing staff. Joshua who was always smiling and checking on my injured foot..Deepak who always gave me the wake up call and did a seamless check in..and Fahad who was simply so so helpful that he just went the extra mile in too many ways to describe.. Sweety and Steven and even the quiet but helpful bellboy! Luggage weighing.. Suggestions for nearby doctors when I needed it...and even breakfast in my room when I Cldnt make it downstairs due to my injury... Simply a superb experience.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Neelu786
Sameer Y, General Manager at The Oriental Residency, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. It is feedback from esteemed guest like you that helps us to constantly introspect our systems and procedures and assists us in striving for a better product and service.

London, UK
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My first time to India, I stayed at the Trident, a classic "Western" hotel in South Mumbai. I wanted to try something different this time, something more "local", so decided on The Oriental Residency.

The hotel is great in the things that matter most to me - the room and bathroom were clean and tidy, the air conditioning worked great, the staff were friendly and accommodating, and the wireless worked well (fast enough for eMail, browsing, but not for streaming video).

The neighbourhood is typical Mumbai, bustling and crowded, but the hotel is tucked on a relatively quiet place on a cross street. It's a short walk to Khar Road station and a Rs 10, 30-minute ride to Churchgate. I loved "commuting" and getting more of the local feel of the city.

If you want the luxury of the Trident/Taj, this isn't the place for you. But if you want a good, clean, comfortable hotel for a more local experience, and at a great price, it's the perfect spot.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank shaunism
Sameer Y, General Manager at The Oriental Residency, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Mumbai and also for posting a very positive review of our hotel for the benefit of the community.

The entire team at the Oriental Residency feels elated that you had a great experience while staying with us,it is our constant endeavor to provide highly personalized,unobtrusive service to our guest and your comments do help us know that we are achieving that objective

We look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Mumbai.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

The hotel is well located, close to the Linking Road markets. The room was clean and service was good. However, the rooms are quite cramped for a couple. We had the complimentary breakfast and it was not very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aswin P
Sameer Y, General Manager at The Oriental Residency, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that you have enjoyed the hotel services. It further encourages our belief to customize food for our esteemed guests.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoyed the room size of our hotel. We also have Luxury rooms which is quite spacious and comfortable in our hotel. Please let me know for your next visit so that we can make your stay more comfortable.

oxford
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and I must say it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.we were on top floor pleasant and quick inside the room . Good and knowledgeable staff specially Mr joshua tallkar who assist us and I felt like the rooma. Shopping was kms away and a decent place to visit, overall exerperience was very good,thanks to all staff at Oriental residency

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank nartey
Sameer Y, General Manager at The Oriental Residency, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Mumbai.

SAINT DENIS REUNION
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The Hotel is well located , in khar bandra west !!
Room is clean and it is not noisy !!

I appreicate the welcoming , the kindness and the attention of the staff

Delicious meals are served in the restaurant by a qualified personnal : GOPAL was an excellent person well attentionned and taking care of us !! I APPRECIATE HIS SERVICE !!!

Room Tip: VERY GOOD HOTEL for taking a rest , for shopping ( shopping area is near: linking road!!) Nic...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

It feels great to receive positive feedback and encourages the staff to strive for the better standards of the Hospitality. Thank you once again for sharing your experience of your stay at the Oriental Residency.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The hotel rooms are too small for the price they quote... I have stayed in much better places in Mumbai for that kind of money... the hotel exterior specially is very disappointing... the road was closed, so at first, one can't even make out that there is a hotel there... I expected much better... the room pics on website look much better than they actually are... I asked for breakfast at 6 in the morn earlier night as I had a flight to catch, but I had to call twice to get it, that too late...only 1 lift was working n that too took long to come, I had to take the stairs everytime... food was decent though... Location is perfect if u wanna go shopping as linking road is just 2 mins away... and hill road 10 mins away... so if it suits u, good.. but mine was not a delightful experience I wud say...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business