“Not value for money over charged rooms but better than other options in the area.”
Review of Hotel Fortune

Hotel Fortune
Ranked #318 of 486 Hotels in Mumbai
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for a day. As i wanted to go to bombay hospital for my mother's check up.i booked the room over phone and requested for early check in. I reached mumbai 6.30 am,from mumbai central station i directly came to the hotel it took me 10mins . After a few disscusion the staff agreed to let me do early check in . I took the supirior room which cost 4500rs. The amount was too much for this type of room but i guess they r charging for the loaction of the hotel. The standerd room is very small like a cage. U cant even breath freely in that room. Even though the hotel is renovated but its still was average to me. Talking about the staff they never smile. All blanks faces. And to my suprise next day when i was checking out they asked for two days rent as i early checked in . Then again after few arguments they agreed to charge for just one day. I cant say i had a good experience in the hotel but as my porpose of the visit was not leisure it was okay type hotel for me.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We booked and paid in advance through Agoda, on arrival the hotel Night Manager tried to make us pay an additional 25% Service Tax in cash. We refused as all services and taxes were inclusive of the price that we paid. This dispute went on for 2 days and the staff were frankly rude and aggressive. They only stopped hassling us when I showed them an email from Agoda customer Services stating that we should not pay any more cash. Then the free wifi service disappeared and was replaced by a service that you pay 100 rupees per hour for.
The accommodation is not cheap- even by Mumbai standards, the room was OK however the sheets and the bathroom were dirty, the toilet was disgusting and when we asked for toilet paper they gave us a stack of paper serviettes that would not flush.
We had 2 windows in our room, one looked out on a brick wall and the bathroom window opened into a mechanics garage- not ideal when you are in the shower.
The location is not great either, it's a good 40 minute walk to Colaba and surrounding tourist attractions.
I would not recommend this place at all, the staff are dodgy, they are clearly trying to scam money out of tourists and there are very few plus points.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Intrepid. That's the tour company that we were with when we started our trip from Mumbai to Delhi. Intepid apparently means 'Daring' or 'Fearless' and you'd have to be to stay in this crap fest.
I honestly thought I'd been done over by the company. I mean, if your first night is bad, God, makes you think what else they've got lined up for you.
And an extra nights stay in this thing through Intrepid costs £20 for a twin room. I've stayed in nicer places in Delhi's backpacker district for half the price. Twin Room. That's misleading. What you've got is a single room with two of those childrens beds it it, you know, the ones you buy when they're 6 and by the time they hit 7, you wish you'd just gone and bought normal single sizes. Ha! fool you. And fool you again if you book here.

A few observations... there were mosquitos in my bathroom because not all the slats in the bathroom window would close.
The air con system in the room didn't work. Fan did though. Can always open a window with the traffic outside right? Beep Beep!
This was the first of the hotels I stayed in that had a leaking toilet bottom. You do your thing, flush and the watch all that discoloured liquid seep around the bottom of the bowl... making its way to the 'shower' plug hole before stopping a foot or so away. Phew! Thank God the lighting in the bathroom was dim. Yuck!

Loved the Hotel rules on the back of my room door "Management not responsible for accidental death" (..just to the left, a plug socket falling off the wall..one of two actually)

I'd gladly exchange a few of the mosquitos I had for some of the other reviewers creepy crawlies. Where were my cockroaches that's what I want to know? I've been short changed! Minus a star!

Would I stay here again, what do you think?

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Please do not book at this hotel. It is dingy and uncared for but stiil worse they allow the porters to use guests rooms when they are out. We had been out for five hours during the day, on returning we had a quick shower (cold I might add) asked for clean bedding as the duvet looked grubby, enquired at the desk directions to nearby restaurant. As we werer exhausted we were only out an hour. On our return our room key was not in reception, I ran upstairs to try the room door, it was unlocked and a porter was lounging on our bed under the duvet amongst my clothing.
The hotel management just said "sorry" no offer of changing rooms or help to find another hotel. They then started beating the boy, which was totally unacceptable and distressing. Keys were the managers responsibility.
It was only due to the kindness and help of some friends in Mumbai that we moved to another hotel
I belive our tour booking agent is still trying to getr a refund.
Please do not book with this hotel and if you have please cancel.

Room Tip: Hotel Wild Orchid Chembur
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank paul t
Reviewed March 25, 2012

If you do not want to be conned and catch a terrible disease - DO NOT STAY AT THIS DREADFUL HOTEL EVER.
I had booked a 'Deluxe'!!! room before my tour started and was plonked into what can only be described as a disgustingly dirty, dangerous prison cell facing the road so the constant noise was unbearable.
My bathroom window was broken and I had 2 pigeons for company; the air con wires were wound round a metal curtain pole and live wires showing; most of the sockets were hanging off the wall; dirty linen and mould on the walls.
I complained to the useless reception man who waved his hand at me and said it was a 'Deluxe'.
After demanding to then view a standard and another deluxe, the man was very nervous and I saw that my room was disgusting compared to the standard room and mine was supposed to be 'Deluxe'
He moved me to another obviously standard room. CON CON CON and a very poor way to treat tourists.
I later (after talking to 6 other Westerners) found out that they had all been put in these awful rooms (they are all the rooms ending in 01 so beware)
Worryingly the rooms given to Indian guests looked clean and quiet.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE AS IT IS NOT EVEN A CHEAP PLACE TO CRASH FOR THE NIGHT - RESEARCH OTHER HOTELS.

THEY WILL CON ANY WESTERN TRAVELLER, HOWEVER HARDY A TRAVELLER YOU ARE.

Room Tip: RUN AWAY VERY FAST TO THE NEXT HOTEL AND NEVER LOOK BACK - or if you are forced to stay here as you...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We booked online in advance from America and when we arrived at the hotel they did not honor our paid booking and charged us another $72 for a room. We had nowhere to go so reluctantly stayed the night. There were large cockroaches crawling on the walls at night and the ceilings were filled with mold. There was no shower stall, just a bucket on the floor. To make matters worse the front desk staff are rude, arrogant and unhelpful. Nirmal Daas and Giselle were staffing the desk and they deserved to be fired for the way they treat guests. They are currently being investigates for fraud as they do not honor reservations that are prepaid and charge your credit card again and they lie about it!

• Stayed: December 2011
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 1, 2012

This place is not really in walking distance to anywhere. A cab to Colaba was only $1 so that was good, but the rooms sucked. Dirty EVERYTHING, the a/c was either on or off and if it was on it was at 25 degrees no higher or lower. The sheets were stained. The shower head is right betwen the toilet and the sink so its impossible to shower without completely soaking the ENTIRE bathroom. The service was fast and friendly but I think you can find that anywhere

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com