“Good Gujrati / Rajasthani Thali”
Review of Golden Star

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Had a good experience with Gujarati Thali at Golden Star at Mulund. The food was good esp different vegetables were well cooked and tasty. Further more I did a on-line booking and got 10% discount too! Good place to visit with family for a wholesome Indian meal. Service is good too.

2  Thank NishDangle

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The ambience is good.....and the serving staff is really that goes out and makes to try different varities easily. You would just tend to go over your limits....

Reviewed November 7, 2012

this famous gujrati eatery serving thaliis centrally located at charni road near opera house.the diamond street. the food is simple and homely. though they have a long way to go to compete with similar joints like rajdhani and mahabhoj. the experience is okay, not very tempting to go back for a try.

2  Thank NEWPROBLEM
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Today being a festival day, our family trooped off to Golden Star, a well known thali restaurant at Charni Road.

We reached by around 12:45pm before it could get crowded. The restaurant has two levels, we chose the ground floor as the elderly in our group could not climb the stairs. The tables are laid out in a rather cramped manner, you feel this all the more due to the large number of waiters moving around all together with different items to serve in a relatively small space.

Getting into our seats was not very comfortable due to the tables being close to one another. Because it was not yet crowded, we could just move the chairs aside but if someone else had been occupying the next table, this would not have been possible.

Once seated, the typical thali service began with the usual assortment of Gujarati - Rajasthani items.

This is an unlimited thali with quite a few items on offer, changing each day. We paid Rs340 per head for 3 farsans, 4 types of vegetable, dal bhatti, dal, kadhi, 3 sweets, buttermilk, pulao, chapathis, puris, papads and pickles. Salad consisted of cucumber slices.

The farsans were fresh and tasty. The vegetables were varied but devoid of taste, appearing to be cooked without any onion, ginger or garlic - catering to the Jain palate in all likelihood. I asked for lemon and raw onions which were not brought until I reminded the waiter twice.

The chapathis were soft in texture and served piping hot. The Dal Bhatti which was supposed to be a speciality, was tasteless. I was quite full by the time I had finished my vegetables so I did not have the pulao but must say that it looked and smelt good.

The sweets were good and one of the, the Moong Dal Halwa was outstanding, so good that I asked for a couple more helpings which I was given promptly though the waiter who was serving this was rather stingy with his portions.

Towards the end of the meal they brought around a selection of canned carbonated soft drinks which we did not take.

After you finish, they do not bring around a finger bowl. You are expected to wash your hands in the one and only tiny little wash basin in a corner of that cramped room, just not acceptable for the price of the thali.

Undoubtedly you can eat as much as you want and at the end of the meal you are certainly full .... but not particularly satisfied.

I will not be returning to Golden Star in a hurry, if at all.

To be fair, I must add here that it is not just Golden Star. Most of the thali restaurants in Mumbai nowadays, leave a lot to be desired in the taste department. Quantity is not everything, I would rather have a limited quantity of good quality and very tasty food than an unlimited tasteless thali.

2  Thank Gita-TA
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Golden star is the best thing that has happened in Bhandup. As my office is in Kanjurmarg. It is the only place where you get decent homely and quality food in the whole area. Worth every penny.

3  Thank durgaramesh