“relax and enjoy the stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Viceroy

The Viceroy
Ranked #99 of 138 Mysuru (Mysore) B&B and Inns
BANGALORE
“relax and enjoy the stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2007

Spend 3 nights in the hotel in November.

Rooms are very nice and very clean - Staff is very friendly and offers very good service.

Also the other restaurants of the hotel are very nice (nice settng, very attentive service and very nice food).

A very nice business hotel !

I would highly recommend this hotel for the attentive, friendly and genuine pleasure of the staff in making guests feel welcome and valued;

• Liked — AMBIENCE
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

My stay at the Viceroy is memorable only for the smell in the bathroom. Not sure what climbed into the drains and died but it was the worst thing I have ever smelled in my entire life. When I opened the door to the bathroom, the smell was overpowering and the first thing I noticed was two dead cockroaches in the middle of the bathroom. I think the smell killed them. The rest of the room was fine and the stay relatively pleasant - if you didn't go in the bathroom. We were moved to a new room and the smell was marginally better. In speaking with other guests in the hotel, everyone had the same problem. The front desk staff wasn't overly helpful or friendly. The restaurant was below average and the staff were in hiding most of the time. Our breakfast was included and most days we had to knock on the kitchen door to get someone to come out and serve us. The location of the hotel isn't bad as it is only a 10 min walk to the palace but any positives I might mention are outweighed by the smell.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank vanboro

Travelers are raving about these Mysuru (Mysore) hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2007

I stayed at the Viceroy in January 2007 with a tour group.

Although I am quite tolerant in general, I was very unhappy with the level of cleanliness and hygiene at The Viceroy.

The Viceroy was covered in mould. You could see the mould on the shower curtains, you could smell mould in the air, and you were constantly surrounded by humidity and dampness, even though Mysore itself wasn't particularly humid at that time. The airconditioner, broken with wires hanging out, was hidden behind a curtain.

There were random holes in the walls and the carpet was frayed - not huge issues on their own, but it did add to the overall poor experience. I ordered room service as I was unwell and was disappointed that my cutlery and water glass were filthy.

The hot water was abysmal at best, and would randomly fluctuate from freezing cold to boiling hot, not funny at all when you have gastro.

Although the hotel is fairly proximal to interesting sweet shops and stalls and things, it is a good 20 minute walk to the key attraction in Mysore - the Palace, and the nearest fast internet is a rickshaw ride away (albeit a short one).

In summary, you can do better than the Viceroy no matter what your budget is - and I would recommend choosing a clean hostel over this dirty old hotel.

• Liked — Nil
  • Disliked — Smelly, male staff walking into my room without knocking on 3 occasions and once I was changing clothes
  • Stayed January 2007
2 Thank Maddy1982
US
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2007

This hotel was a terrible dissapointment. The entrance looks nice, but the rooms are absolutely awful. The sheets and towels were old and dirty. Even after asking for a new set, the 'new' ones were dirty as well. This is by NO means a business hotel.

The room was dark and run down as well and ... again just dirty.

Bathroom was terrible and the showercurtain was nasty.

The hotel is right next to a mosque so instead of getting a nice view on the palace, you get woken up by the call for paying at 5am. Unimpressed.

Stay away!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank CassieB4
Barcelona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2006

We had quite the same experience as told in the first review written about this hotel.
There is no view on palace, bed sheets are dirty (we had to ask them to change them, but afterwards they were as dirty as before, after third change we have given up...), bathroom dirty, no telephone working and therefore no creditcard acceptance.
They even returned us a banknote, one day after advanced payment, saying it was ours and their bank would not accept it, because it was fixed with some transparent tape. How did they made sure that is was ours? It finally ended up in a big discussion and we were forced to take back this 1000 rupees banknote.

Apart that we can not recomend Mysore as nice travel location, the hotel was the worst thing.

Never again!!!

• Liked — To leave it
  • Disliked — dirty sheets
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not go there
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
Delhi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2006

I stayed in this hotel a few days back and it was a terrible stay.

First of all they duped me by showing me a different room and charging for a different room.

They have two types of double bed rooms (Executive @ 1575/night & Luxury @ 1875/night). Before checking in, I had asked for the Executive double bed room. They showed us the room and we told it's fine. But later at the time of filling the check-in form, the reception staff told me that the rate is 1875. I told him that you had given me the Executive room. But he was not ready to agree and told me that in the Executive room the beds are separate. So, i was left with no option.

Tell me, where do you get double bed rooms with the beds separated. I mean this could be the case with a Single bed room with extra bed but DEFINITELY not with a double bed room.

We felt cheated. However, we let it go and chose to stay in the Luxury Room deciding not to spoil our mood. But that was not the end of the story.

Their LUXURY room had lots of issues:

1) The phone connection was not working. We had to go down to the reception for every little thing. The staff didn't even try to fix the phone.

2) They had a split AC and remote was not provided. We ended up switching off the AC for the night because there was no way to regulate it.

3) The bathroom was dirty. wash basin was broken, door lock was defective. the ceiling had seepage and to top it all we spotted a couple of insects inside the bathroom.

4) They sell their rooms by saying that you'll get a beautiful view of Mysore Palace but from the room you'll be able to see only trees (that obstruct the view of palace)

The restaurant was equally bad. They serve water in Aquafina bottles. Now, everybody knows that the Mineral Water bottles should not be reused and so it should be crushed after use. But in the Viceroy Hotel - sab chalta hai...
you'll find a lot of items in the menu, but when you'll ask for it they'll say its not available.

At the time of checking out, they asked me to sign an empty discount form. I asked what is it... you haven;t given me any discount so why should i sign it. They tried to give some stupid reasons like it is required to know how much tax has been charged... but the details of taxes are anyways there in the receipt. I didn;t sign that form and strongly told them not to mislead / cheat the customers.

Overall it was a terrible stay. Since we had to stay for just one day, we somehow held to it but I would strongly suggest people who are going to Mysore to avoid this Hotel. you'll get many better options in similar range.

Vishal

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Abyssmal service & cheating attitude
  • Tips/Secrets — Please avoid this Hotel