“Good hotel but could be better”

Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel
Ranked #2 of 101 Hotels in Mysuru (Mysore)
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good hotel but could be better”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks while studying yoga in Mysore. The hotel is nice. The location is decent - away from downtown and somewhat private. However, the location is near the train station which makes it very noisy. The train whistle blows at all hours of the night and in my room, you could even hear the station announcements. The rooms are small but clean. They could use some updating. The room had a nice balcony on which I enjoyed many evenings. The wifi was a bit unreliable and their are hefty charges for adding daily or weekly wifi to your room. When I first arrived, there were bugs in my bathtub and I had to call housekeeping to come clean the tub again. But after that, the room was clean for the rest of my stay. The staff was very welcoming and responded quickly to any issues that came up. Overall a nice place to stay with lots of character.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the side that backs to the train station.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013

Dear Guest

The entire team joins me in thanking you for staying with us during your visit to Mysore.
We sincerely appreciate your time in sharing your experience at our hotel.
Your positive /Negative observations regarding our service and hotel is inspirational for all of us.

We thank you once again for your support and do hope to have the pleasure of your continued visits to our hotel.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Pinecrest, Florida
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I am a nostalgic fan of the old British Colonial architectural style, and chose this hotel for that reason. I was pleased to find that the bathrooms were all updated with western comforts. (Loved the orchid scented bath soaps.) In contrast with another guest's review, my bathroom was fully supplied with sample sized shampoo, lotion, etc etc. No complaints there, and the hotel staff were more than happy to supply whatever I required. My room was large, comfortable, and cozy with a wonderful secretary desk where I could sit and write out my postcards and travelogues. The room also had a huge, pleasant balcony with large trees in front where I sat in the evening and watched birds. The hotel's large open courtyard hosts the outdoor seating for dinners, and is very pleasant and nice ambience. I did enjoy dinner there, and found it to be good, but a little pricey. Breakfast was very good, with alot of variety including cooked-to-order omelets and all the best of South Indian traditional breakfast selections.

My room did not have a room safe. When I enquired, I was invited to place my valuables in the "safe" belonging to the front reception, which was not convenient. All the other hotels that I stayed at in South India provided bottled water free of charge, and although this one provided 3 small bottles gratis inside the room, they only offered a very large size bottle of water to me at breakfast (as I was checking out to take a flight) which they wanted to charge me for. It made no sense. I protested, and they took it off my bill but they didn't seem to happy about it. I did pay for the WIFI for one hour (125 Rupees), and they had to deliver the password to my door (and of course a tip was expected for that) or I would have to go to the reception desk to collect it. This seemed to be unnecessary. I felt that the price I paid for my room was very reasonable.

The hotel is well-situated just a few blocks away from the train station, and from the Mysore Palace (which I saw and LOVED the incredibly detailed historic processional murals on the walls!) All in all I did enjoy my stay at Royal Orchid Metropole, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013

We sincerely appreciate your time in sharing your experience at our hotel.

Our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services.We do take pride in our hotel and will do our best to prevent problems from recurring .

Blackrod
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed with my family in the suite, which was good value for 5 of us. There is a wonderful feel of the early 20th century with the decor and ambience, however one gets the feeling it has not been well-maintained. The staff were friendly and helpful. The lunch was expensive and average, but dinner of mixed kebabs sitting in the veranda area was lovely.

Room Tip: If you are a family of 5 or less, book the suite.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

We sincerely appreciate your time in sharing your experience at our hotel.

Our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services.

Chicago
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Metropole Hotel in Mysore, now part of the Royal Orchid chain, is a nice place to
stay. The location is excellent, not far from the center of town. There is some street
noise, although not too bad, and not noticeable late at night. The hotel occupies what
was formerly a building built by the Maharajah of Mysore to house visiting foreign
dignitaries in the 19th and early 20 centuries, and reflects that historical fact in many
ways, mostly good. The hotel is small and intimate, with the two floors of rooms facing a
lovely central courtyard. It has a charming historical look. Its rooms are quite large with
high ceilings and traditional furnishings. The beds, I am glad to say, are modern and
very comfortable. The bathrooms, however, reflect the historical origin of the place, and
are undecorated, barebones and spartan; they require a serious overhaul, redecorating and
updating. There is a large clawfoot bathtub (be careful getting in and out), and a
dedicated water heater that must be turned on 15 minutes prior to needing hot water.
Not a big deal, but you get the idea. The staff is extremely nice and helpful, but the hotel
is not as well run as one would expect. Our room safe had not been reset so that it
would be reusable; we had to call the front desk to send someone to reset it, which
they did, right away. But--shouldn't that automatically be done prior to a new guest's
arrival? There is an odd wifi system (like many Indian hotels not free). You need to
request a voucher with a username and password each and every time you want to
have wifi access. A bit of a pain. And the first time I tried it, the credentials did not even
work and I had to get new ones. On the first night of our stay, I used a can of tonic water
from the minibar. At 5 PM the next day, one of the staff knocked on our door with
another can of tonic water to replace the one I used. In most hotels, this would have
been done routinely during the day. And---the bathroom amenities are are poor. Not
even shampoo is provided, although you can ask for it. The tissues are of inferior
quality. Lighting in the bathroom is poor. So there you have it. Overall, this is a nice
and comfortable place to stay, but it definitely has some quirks and a few rough edges.
It has the potential to be a top flight hotel, but has some work to do first

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on recent south india trip
Hotel is great location, pretty central...short tuk tuk ride to Mysore palace and only a five min stroll from main shopping area
Room was very comfortable with good amenities
Only downside was the bathroom..desperately needs updating especially the low power shower
Tv was good with fair choice foreign channels
Lovely grounds around the hotel with nice outdoor eating options in the evening
Bar was ok ...unfortunately very quiet but still a nice place to have a pre/post dinner tipple
Good choice of drinks available ..beers were about £1.50/ £2.50 for sm/lge kingfisher
Wifi was a little expensive at 620 rupees for 24 hrs + taxes but in fairness was pretty fast even though I couldn't seem to get it in the bar!
Food in restaurant was excellent with quite wide and varied menu...chicken biriyani was exceptional...ask for it boneless
Breakfast was buffet style and reasonably good...just improve the tea!
What set the hotel apart though was the staff....thoroughly friendly /approachable and genuine and a credit to the hotel
I didn't know that much about Mysore before my trip but I know when I return I will almost certainly return to the royal orchid Mysore
Many thanks

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013

We sincerely appreciate your time in sharing your experience at our hotel.
Your observations regarding our service and hotel is inspirational for all of us.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 4, 2013

It is a lovely old building but you should be warned that 'heritage hotel' means that the rooms smell of damp. And I checked two rooms, as the first room we were shown was too small and they both smelt damp. The plumbing is a bit crazy as well - I'm not normally challenged when it comes to running a shower but in this room I had to get my husband to fiddle with the taps so that the water was neither scalding nor freezing.

Whilst the room was clean, I did notice that the lampshades had a good deep layer of dust on them. And the once white telephones were grey. And the rugs had seen better days. But the bed linen and the bathroom were clean.

The food is not good. Breakfast was not great. The hotel serves up coffee that has chicory in it - disgusting. And they have no other coffee option. And if you ask for tea, you get a Tetley tea bag. A Tetley tea bag! In India! Outrageous! Dinner is not much better on the food quality front.

The hotel's playlist is a continuous loop of pan pipes 'lift music' muzak; thanks, it's been many years since I've had The Carpenters' 'I'm on the Top of the World' going round and round AND ROUND in my head.

Generally the staff are pleasant and the hotel is peaceful yet in a convenient location in the city. However Mysore is very small and so most of the hotels are centrally and conveniently located. And given that the hotel messed up our bill and we had to spend half an hour 'discussing' it with the front of house staff, the hotel manager, and then on the phone to their Bangalore office, you know what, we won't be staying at *any* Royal Orchid again, let alone the Metropole.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time out to review our service standards..

Kindly accept my sincere apology for all the inconvenience .

We noted experience you have had with our services.
I have addressed this matter with the team/Managers and assure you that all internal procedures have been strengthened and emphasized to avoid any recurrence.

We will certainly work on bettering our service standards .

I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the not too distant future.

Bangalore
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here with wife on our trip to Mysore. The property is located centrally in Mysore. The property was with Mysore Royal family earlier, so it has the charm of the days of the Raj. The property is very well maintained and is very neat and tidy. We got a smaller room overlooking the courtyard, but it was very nicely done and had all modern amenities. The best part of the hotel was the service and the food. The staff was very polite and helpful. We had a check-in, which was breeze and the gentleman who took us to our room was very polite and told us about the history of the hotel. I had issues with dinner served in the night because of some marriage party in the restaurant and I complained to the manager of the hotel. The response was very positive and they apologized profusely, which reflected on their professionalism.
The food served in the restaurant including breakfast was amazing. The spread was huge and the food was very tasty.
Overall, very good stay at a very good location in Mysore. Very strongly recommended!

Room Tip: Opt for rooms facing the gardens.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013