“The room smelled of urine”
Review of Mysore Dasprakash

Mysore Dasprakash
Ranked #56 of 116 Hotels in Mysuru (Mysore)
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had had my wallet stolen and needed a quick place to leave my belongings. The door did not close properly, there was a visible 1/2 inch gap. Dingy does not even begin to describe the property. The walls have not been painted in what looks like 25 years. The window opened to a public hallway with very little light. In fact, the entire place was gloomy. From reading other reviews, it seems as if certain rooms are given to certain people. I took pictures in every hotel but could not even bother, it was so disgusting. The gentleman who showed me the room said that the fan just needed to be run in the bathroom to rid of the smell. Yes the property is centrally located, but that's about it. Front desk staff could not have been more indifferent, bordering on hostile.I asked for a refund and they gave me 60 rupees back. I ended up renting a room elsewhere that was a breath of fresh air, Aishwarya Residency. I paid 1000 rupees and the room was 40 times nicer with a lovely rooftop and room service. Dasprakash could have cared less about my complaint. I do not understand how Lonely planet could even recommend this place. Stay away is my best recommendation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Martha633

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had read on gthe net that the restaurant is good for vegetarian food. M wife and I went thee early Oct '12. We ordered a thali meal. I have never tasted food so insipid and so indifferently cooked. I looked stale , was cold and tasteless.

The dinig hall area looked worn out and like a railway station waiting room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ajay J
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

I still get upset about this place. The men at the front desk are by far the most unfriendly people I have met in India. We could not coax a smile out of them over the course of 3 days and they are the main reason I would never recommend this place to others. Their behavior bordered on being just plain mean because we were foreigners (the only foreigners in a 120 room hotel). Yes it is cheap, and thats the only thing it had going for it. You will not get any sleep. Horns are constant, the call for prayer must have a major sound system directed right at the place, and if you try for a daytime nap to recover from the dreadful night, the constant horns and ice cream truck in the courtyard will ensure you get no comfort. Their arranged tours were dramatically overpriced and came with unsafe drivers. My only fond memories of this place come from the old man that cleaned the rooms, he was a good dude.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Cleg2
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here twice within a few days of each other.
One week in a single room then back again for 2 days in a double room.

The single room was lovely - overlooking the garden , quiet , lovely old furniture, cheap, basic.

There's an excellent pure veg restaurant.

On returning from Bangalore with a family member we moved into a double room at the rear of the hotel.

The room was okay -if a bit dingy. The real problem was a tour group which arrived at 9pm , They shouted, screamed, chatted, ran around, slammed doors and yelled until 11.30 and then started over again at 3am.
The corridor seemed specifically designed to amplify the sound.
The tour group exhibited no conception of consideration for other guests.
We moved out and went to the SCVDS Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

On a trip to Mysore last week, we ended up at the Dasaprakash. We have eaten here on past visits but this was our first actual stay at the hotel.

The Dasaprakash though a Mysore institution, has a very tired look about it. Everything and everyone within is tired, period.

Check in was both a tiring and a trying experience with the 'receptionist' if you can call him that (a dour faced man behind the counter) making us repeat our address details several times. We would have walked out at the third repetition but all the other hotels were full.

Our Deluxe AC room was clean but that was about it. The bathroom was very basic. At the risk of being repetitive, the words tired and shabby immediately come to mind.

Dinner that evening was nondescript. Room Service took ages to bring our coffee the next morning, though the coffee when it arrived was good. Breakfast again was nothing to write home about. In all fairness I must say that the Evening Tiffin as it is quaintly called, was brilliant. The guliyappas and coffee were outstandingly good. Unfortunately there is no consistency in the standards and it is anyone's guess whether what you order will be up to expectations or not. On previous occasions, we have had good and bad food at this hotel

Another nuisance was that hot water is available only in the mornings so if you traipse around all day expecting a hot shower in the evening, bad luck boss! For the price of our room, this was just not acceptable.

We had taken a dormitory room for our driver. He said there were bed bugs in his mattress and preferred to spend the next night in the car! Fortunately there were no bed bugs in our room; and we got his room changed too after a few words with the dour faced man at reception.

The hotel is conveniently located within a very short walking distance of the palace and the main Devaraj market. For those on a budget, it is not bad though having said that, there are other similar hotels in the area. The Dasaprakash is vegetarian for people who are particular about this.

For our third night, we managed to get a room at a more comfortable hotel so we moved.

I would not really want to stay here again. The Dasaprakash would do well to undergo major renovation of both its tired rooms and some of its dour staff.

Room Tip: Take a look at the room before checking in
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gita-TA
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Mysore Dasprakash is a Hotel situated in the Heart of Mysore City. It is a budget hotel within the reach of Common Tourist. The hotel has a vegetarian restaurant catering mouthwatering south indian delicacies. The beauty of this hotel is its location: which is a walking distance from the Main Mall area of Sayyaji Rao road, Devaraja Urs Road, Mysore Palace, Bus Stand and Railway Stations.

Room Tip: select a laxury room
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ARLITHAYA
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The hotel is pretty centrally located and done up in spacious manner. Rooms are reasonable good too. Pricing wise it is quite economical. The advantages are location, price and its fairly good structure. Th drawback is the maintenance, not very well maintained and some hygiene issues in the rooms. Also staff is friendly but not as responsive and informed as you would like them to be.
But knowing other places in Mysore I guess this still one of the good places to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are better.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business