“Part of the Mysore experience”

Sri Chamundeshwari Temple
Private Excursion to Mysore and Srirangapatna from Bengaluru
Bacolod, Philippines
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Part of the Mysore experience”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

One can have too many temples in a tour itinerary. We went to this temple because it seems to be the most important temple in Mysore. The Chamundi Hills are sacred to the Hindus so I can imagine people including the temple in their pilgrimage routes.

The temple is a temple and not an attraction for tourist to gawk at. Signs are in Sanskrit and Kannada script used in Karnataka state. There is no information office and tourists just have no choice except to decipher for themselves where they are to go and what they are to do. We joined the free line but were forced out almost rudely when someone saw that we were still wearing our sandals. After we deposited our footwear, we had to join the end of the line again.

I wish I'd read about the 1,000 odd stairs that I could have climbed. I'm sure such a climb would have made our visit more memorable.

A Hindu temple is strange enough as it is. Something in English to tell us about the temple and what we would see inside and within temple grounds would have been helpful. After our visit, I left feeling even more puzzled about the temple and what was going on inside.

• Polish first
Navi Mumbai, India
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Tall temple on the top of a tall mountain”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

You can either climb up the 1000 odd stairs or simply climb up the hill in a car. In both the cases you will reach atop the hill for a darshan of Chamundeswari devi. You will be visited by the tall statue of Mahishasur. Also there is Nandi Bull statue near the way which is also very famous.

1 Thank harishvas
Bengaluru, India
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Nice temple on hill top with beautiful Citi view”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Visiting second time to the temple, it was a nice experience. In my previous visit, I could not see the main temple from inside because of the excessive crowd there. This time crowd was little less and also I had better idea of darshan ticket structure. with Rs. 100 ticket we were able to bypass most of the crowd and did our darshan easily. We went by our own car. The drive way to the temple was good. We had to part the car near the pond side. From there we have to climb through stairs (not too many). If one can come little early in the morning (Before 8 AM), they can take their car till the top of the hill. While returning back, we went via the Nandi Statue route. We could not saw that side in our last visit. There is a huge nandi statue, I suppose, must be the main entrance for the temple. The road on that side is little rough but it was ok. That road also takes you to Nanjangud side of Mysore.

Visited October 2013
Hyderabad, India
149 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 243 helpful votes
“pleasant temple”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

located 7km from the main town of mysore, this chamundi hills bless us to kill our own enemies which are inside us

Kerala, India
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Nice quiet place to sit away from the temple.”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I didnt like the temple itself at all. Lot of devotees and lot of noise. The temple can be reached by bus or by taking a 1000 steps from the other side. We went and came back by bus. After reaching there we went down the steps to Nandhi. The steps are not that crowded. I spent some time there reading a book. If you are looking for some isolation I suggest you take the 1000 steps up to the temple. It may be physically exerting, but a good way to enjoy nature.

Visited October 2013