“excellent little place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mysuru (Mysore)
Anokhi Garden Guest House & Cafe
Ranked #15 of 148 Mysuru (Mysore) B&B and Inns
Issy-les-Moulineaux, France
“excellent little place”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

One of our favourite stays in India. The hosts were charming and welcoming.
The room was clean welcoming, comfortable, had hot water, no AC, but it wasn’t hot enough to be needed (we were there in July). They provided plenty of filtered water in the room, internet was included.
We really liked the attached café and a proper western breakfast, after a couple weeks in India went down very well. We paid 2000 rupees per night and found this to be very reasonable.
The location requires that you take a rickshaw to get to the centre of Mysore, but the calmness of the area in comparison to the hustle bustle of the centre is welcoming. The area around the homestay is nice and there are restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LesFranglais

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bangalore, India
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Being a Bangalorean and a Kannadiga, I've been going to Mysore all my life... ok, at least, for as long as I can remember and I'm familiar with the ways of 'Hale Mysuru' - Old Mysore of yore... which is a world away from the current yoga-chic Mysore. It's where my mother was born and it's where her mother was brought up and HER grandmother lived and so forth. And I still have extended family in the city. But the last few times that we've travelled to the city, my husband and I have taken to staying at Anokhi. The first time we were there, we found it quirky and fun, in a "Wow, who would've thought that we'd be staying in a guesthouse run by two French people in Mysore of all paces" kind of way. But over the last month... we have really come to love the place and can't think of staying elsewhere... yep, even with close relatives. Consider this: you have a clean-home-y-bright-airy room and bathroom all to yourself, you have plenty of storage space, you have all sorts of books to read and a perfect little window seat, you can use the kitchen and washing machine if you want to, you have clean, filtered drinking water, you have a garden and backyard to hang around in, you can have a great breakfast anytime you wake up (assuming you wake up by 1pm latest?), you have a docile, languid, quietly friendly dog (Vanita) to come home to, you get your own keys to the house - which means you don't feel awkward about ringing the bell and waking people up and so on, you have all the spare yoga mats and blankets you'd ever want... and best of all, you have two fabulous hostesses in Flora and Marie. They are both super friendly, warm, very well-informed and non-intrusive. Together, they run Anokhi in a relaxed but professional way. So yes... though Mysore is familiar to us in a city-next-door kinda way, staying at Anokhi makes it feel like a mini vacation - especially because of all the travellers and yogis you see in the cafe everyday. I'll say this much - though my husband and I are considering renting and eventually buying a place in Mysore, Anokhi almost makes us wish that we shouldn't. Just so that we can keep going back to stay at Anokhi. :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank ItchyFeet_Blore
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Staff are friendly and the guesthouse is in an interesting and fairly quiet neighbourhood, with lots of yoga schools around. The garden cafe is nice, though we felt a bit cheated when we were told at check out that contrary to the information inside the rooms (written on cards) breakfast is not included after all - a breakfast which is delicious though. The room we had was okay, though it was the only toilet flush on our India trip that did not work (and we stayed in comparable places). The bed was as hard as a brick, very uncomfortable. In fact it was propped up on some bricks, which may have explained it. The two french girls running the place are nice and can give good advice. All in all, an okay place to stay if you are looking for something in that price category

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ghanbg
UK
Reviewed March 22, 2011

The breakfast was delicious and the lovely French owners are delightful. However the rooms and bathroom are very basic... hard beds, wardrobes with fronts peeling off, horrible plumbing.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gill123England94
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Words really cannot describe the wonderful experience I had staying as a guest at Anokhi... and I was actually made to feel more like family than a guest. It is beautifully located, very clean, and yes as described by other travelers - the best breakfast in Mysore. Flora and Marie could not have been more gracious hosts with pure hearts. My stay was for almost 6 weeks and I encountered many other guests come and go.. some of which were there for short periods while trying to find other long term accomodations. All of which reflected back to wishing they booked a longer stay at Anohki since there is just no better guest house in Mysore. I cannot return soon enough!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank loveofindia
Paris, France
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We stayed here for one night. This homestay is correct, clean enough to feel comfortable (but not super clean).Unfortunately, the bed was quite bad.
The two owners are nice people and the place looks more like a family house for yoga/relaxation fans.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CapablancaTraveller
New York
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Anokhi Garden is the best guesthouse I stayed at out of over 3 months of traveling in India. The house is lovely, Flora is adorable and very helpful and her cuisine is to die for (I didn't meet Marie who was out of the country when I visited). Little services like free high-speed internet and free laundry also add to make it a gem. Not only would I give Anokhi the "best guesthouse prize", I'd give them also the "best breakfast/brunch prize". If you can't get a room there, don't miss the food: Flora and her team prepare the tastiest fruit salads, juices and shakes, vegan pancakes, delicious tea (home-blend) , and a salivating brunch menu on weekends. I hope that I can escape to Mysore again next year and stay at Anokhi Garden for a few days.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo