Radisson Hotel Shimla
Kapil Hotel(Shimla)(Great Value!)
$43
  • Room Service
1,137 results
All reviewsswimming poolkids roomexcellent propertyrooms are nicesteep walkdeluxe roomexcellent stayroom servicevalley viewlakkar bazaarhill stationmemorable stayexcellent viewcomfortable stayhotel stafffood qualitycourteous staff
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This was my first visit to shimla, after reaching to hotel room service was very slow. Room was big and clean. We thought of having dinner in restra inside hotel and it was bad. there were no food options and all other options were tasteless. Its advisable not to had food in restra.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed in mid-April for 4 nights. We were supposed to stay here for only 2 nights. It so happened that, I fell sick while going to Manali, and had to call in to the reservation manager (Mr. Dinesh), who offered us an Executive/Business class room which was the only one available, till our reservation dates. So, we took that and were very glad that our concern was understood by them. Once we arrived, the room was quite big and still cozy with a Jaccuzzi(which we never used). The best part of the stay we felt was the interaction with their staff. There was always a smile, and even a few calls to check how our stay was. In particular, Mr. Ajay at the front-desk was very kind and taking the extra effort - for eg. transferring our luggage to the new room after 2 nights. The restaurant menu for vegetarians was limited, and we then requested for our own dish one time. The food otherwise was good, breakfast had idli, dosa and a few similar South-Indian choices like Upma. At the restaurant, Dinesh and Kamal, were familiar with us and giving us the attention and getting us what we want promptly. There was a finesse in their dealing with us which I liked - not too over-bearing but made us feel important. I remember their names because everyone in my family felt the difference and we talked about the simple but hardworking people of Himachal. Virendar, for eg. took the call for a glass of hot-milk from the restaurant phone, when the in-room dining phone was busy. After a while, he followed up on my order, and he himself came and delivered the milk as someone else who was supposed to deliver the milk to the room did not. Interestingly the superior room which we went to for the last 2 nights, was shining clean(much more than the Business class room, I confess) and Chander was very attentive to the details here. One crib, I do have is I was not told of the free-wifi, and I kept wondering if it is restricted, as I overheard the manager saying that it has to be given only to a corporate training group and no one else. Once again, during checkout, Mr. Dinesh considered my walk-in rates, and had to charge my child's stay - but gave me Rs. 1000 off from the expected price. Overall, a nice and warm property, and frankly, it is because of the hardworking staff that this hotel is a good place to stay.

1  Thank vashok
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This was our first trip to Shimla with our little one! The stay was amazing and the property is superb.
The staff was super friendly and very responsive to all our requests!

We were in the Hotel for the most part of the trip and didn't feel the need to step out.
5 stars to this 5 star property!

Room Tip: The C wing is right next to the Valley!
1  Thank Mayank J
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We ended up booking this hotel just because of the Radisson brand, and assumed that rooms and services would be all top notch. At check in counter, we were told that the rooms in the main building were not available and were transferred to some cottage rooms at the back of the hotel.

Upon entering the room, I couldn't believe if it was actually a hotel room? It was in really really bad shape, not in terms of cleanliness by staff, but in terms of the way it was built. I wouldn't be surprised if they had purchased someone's house at the back of the hotel and made it part of the hotel. It seemed worse than a small no star hotel.

The door of the room was in very shabby state, the room furniture and layout was really bad, entire furniture of the room looked old and of very low quality - with light brown wood colour. Imagine the entire room, furniture, floor, door windows everything in light brown wood color that was probably 20 years old.

We requested them many times to change our room to the main hotel, were even willing to pay extra, but the hotel was full and they couldn't do anything. We refused to stay there and asked for refund of our money. After making 15-20 frustrating phone calls from our room, to all departments, we were put to the manager who simply refused to give us refund. We were so agonized by this whole incident, that after 2 hours of frustration and fighting, we left the hotel. They spoiled our entire evening and mood for our trip to shimla. Late at night we had no choice but to make last minute booking at another hotel. On our way out, there were a group of 3-4 ladies from New York who were also fighting with the hotel staff about something and were threatning to leave the hotel and post bad reviews about them.

Oh well, I would never go back there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank FrankieWalli
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Dont know where to start..!!Last weekend when we decided to stay in this hotel with family we were looking at good times ahead of us in one of the most talked about properties in Shimla..Sadly..forget about being a five star property this is not even close to a three star.

The moment we entered there was water in our room's balcony. Repeated calls to the reception and no response. Finally after about half an hour an extremely slow house keeping guy came trudging along. He took another half an hour to clean up the balcony. We booked three deluxe rooms for 6 of us in the family. All of us were given rooms in three corners of the property. The rooms in this property are surprisingly quite small and only a few have balconies with them. On a leisure trip to a hill station like Shimla this is the last thing that you expect. A claustrophobic room with no vents but the air conditioner's.
Dinner was awful, with some 2 guys constantly on our heads trying to convince us to go for a buffet meal instead of a la carte. I am sure none of the staff present at the restaurant was trained.(obviously you would expect trained and polite staff taking care of you while you are at a five star property). The quality and taste of food was a rude shock WE liked nothing! Had to wait forever for cutlery.All that the staff was prompt about was the bill at the end of our meal.. Breakfast was no different. They had a live dosa counter running. I ordered a dosa. A dry and uncooked piece of I dont know what, landed on my table without any accompaniments. When I asked them for Sambhar I was told I could get up and take it myself from the buffet spread.
The next day we wanted to visit the swimming pool that was visible from the cafe where we had our breakfast. The property is quite confusing as everything is in a different wing. Apparently it was so for the staff too. None of them was able to guide us to the swimming pool. Finally one of the floor managers did. The pool was dirty and smelling. The sight of it was such that I would never step in it. Wi FI was free but not working in our room. It took the "IT team" almost a day to send someone to the room to fix the Wi Fi(desoited repeated calls)
The last but not the least when I tried pointing all this out to the manager on duty(Mr. Nishaat Singh or so I think) all that he had to say was that it was our fault that we did not book the rooms together in advance - Yes that was the response to my earlier query about us being placed on different floors. Rest everything else was conveniently ignored.
Small things matter the most especially when you decide to stay in a property like Radisson. Bad quality food, lack of trained staff and an ignorant attitude are sure to take away any customers that this hotel might have. Never going back again!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay ask for rooms with a balcony
11  Thank DishaNU