“Home away from home”

Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Shimla
New Delhi, India
“Home away from home”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We have been visiting the hotel since many years and each time ,we leave the place with beautiful memories. Located in the heart of Shimla, Clarkes is a heritage hotel and a wonderful place.The staff is excellent and very welcoming .The chef Meet Singh cooked few exotic dishes especially for us and the manager took personal care of all the guests.Strongly recommend the hotel to everyone to enjoy the hospitality .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank archana3108
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Clarke’s Hotel, Shimla. We thank you your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay, it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.
I have conveyed your generous compliments to Chef Meet. It has been a tremendous source of inspiration for him.
I once again thank you for your kind words. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Shimla and every endeavor will be made to ensure that Clarke’s Hotel becomes your home when visiting this city.
We look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits and assure you of our best attention at all times.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hebrew first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Everything was fine there. Summer is the best choice of season. I missed my family, as I was on business tour. I can only say that something you can not express, it can be experienced only. I would like to plan my next holiday trip with family. I wish, what I have had experience, i would like to share it with my family.

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny. congenial atmosphere.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013

delhi
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The Clarkes is a heritage hotel and the first purchase for the prestigious Oberoi group. I have stayed once earlier in 1998 and had very good memories.This time i stayed at the Hotel on a business trip and a dinner meeting.The best part of the Hotel was the Staff. All were ready to do and help the guest for comfort.The Chief Chef Meet was a wonderful person and the food he served was just amazing.The rooms were comfortable and cozy for a chilly winter night.

Room Tip: Take rooms with a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sandeepdelhi
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have been to Shimla couple of times & stayed at Oberoi Cecil & Wild flower hall. Somehow we were not able to get bookings of Cecil & thats how we landed at Clarkes. Hotel Clarkes is value for money & goes very well when you are travelling with a small kid & your frequent outing is on Mall road (as it is on the peacer side of Mall road). The property gives you the feeling of the Raj times & is well maintained (however needs further improvement). Touching point is there staff, old timers: very welcoming & supportive. Chef Meet & Manager takes care of your individual tastes & gives personal attention to all guests. We booked a premier room & breakfast included in our room price. We were upgraded to suite free of cost & dinner was inculded as well at a nominal charge. If you are travelling by your own car then parking on mall road can be an issue but ample parking is available at nominal charge which is next to hotel along with porter services. If we come back to Shimla, Clarkes would be now our first choice.

Room Tip: Go for a suite, its worth your money if travelling with family.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Clarkes-Shimla, Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was quite concerned about the hotel's recent reviews on the website. The Clarkes is a heritage hotel and the first purchase for the prestigious Oberoi group. I have been returning to the hotel over a period of 20 years and couldn't believe some of the negative reviews. Although I think subtle upgrades to upholstery and the bathrooms are due, the staff are impeccable and lovely, the food and service excellent with rooms that are charming and cosy. The hotel is authentic (as opposed to the nearby, not very clean Combermere) and old. Those who fail to realise this and claim it is over priced are clearly unable to grasp the heritage of the hotel. The price, for what you are getting, as well as it's ideal location are a bargain! If you want cheaper or more modern, by all means take your bad taste or budget elsewhere! I'm sticking to the Clarkes and thanks for another lovely stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bay window or a suite as they are lovely
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Harpster2013
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Clarke's Hotel, Shimla. We thank you for your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to learn from your feedback that your visit to our hotel was pleasant and comfortable and that the facilities provided to you were to your satisfaction.

Your valuable comments regarding the upholstery and bathroom maintenance have been noted and necessary actions will be taken.

Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration to our staff.

Warm Regards
Fareham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had a great stay here, only 2 nights but wush it was more. We received a free upgrade to apremium suite, very nice. The restaurant was excellent, the chef spoke to every table, and in our case reccommended and produced some lovely food. We would definitely go back given the chance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lee W

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Located in the heart of Shimla, on a traffic free stretch of The Mall, Clarkes is a great base from which to explore the old town. There is lots of heritage charm, while the facilities are modern and comfortable.

The restaurant fantastic, with attentive service under the direction of Isa Musheer and his Team. Young Chef Meet Singh Malhotra is a revelation, cooking some of the best Indian dishes we've ever tasted and with an eye for contemporary presentation.

All in all a lovely hotel & highly recommended.

Stayed October 2013