“Superb Service”

Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Shimla
Fareham, England, United Kingdom
“Superb Service”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had a great stay here, only 2 nights but wush it was more. We received a free upgrade to apremium suite, very nice. The restaurant was excellent, the chef spoke to every table, and in our case reccommended and produced some lovely food. We would definitely go back given the chance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lee W
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Clarke’s Hotel, Shimla. We thank you your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay, it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.
I once again thank you for your kind words. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Shimla and every endeavor will be made to ensure that Clarke’s Hotel becomes your home when visiting this city.
We look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits and assure you of our best attention at all times.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hebrew first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Located in the heart of Shimla, on a traffic free stretch of The Mall, Clarkes is a great base from which to explore the old town. There is lots of heritage charm, while the facilities are modern and comfortable.

The restaurant fantastic, with attentive service under the direction of Isa Musheer and his Team. Young Chef Meet Singh Malhotra is a revelation, cooking some of the best Indian dishes we've ever tasted and with an eye for contemporary presentation.

All in all a lovely hotel & highly recommended.

Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

I have conveyed your generous compliments to Chef Meet. It has been a tremendous source of inspiration for him.
Mumbai
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Visited the hotel in March 2013. Had initially booked a Deluxe Suite which was later upgraded to the next category Premier Room. However, I discover a catch later that the upgraded suite had no windows. For someone claustrophobic it can be a very disappointing. The suite as such was quite spacious, had a entrance area, a separate bedroom, a dressing room and a large bathroom. So, if you are looking for views of the city or the valley, insist on the rooms that are not in the basement.

The hotel does carry the old world charm, with furnishings in its common areas, dining areas.The courteous restaurant staff dressed in crisp starched white, the shiny silver ware, scrupulously clean sheets and towels were there consistently on all 4 days that we stayed with them. Breakfast spread was rather average, except for the piping hot choice of paranthas. The other preparations were very lame and average. But breakfast in itself was a great experience with the whites and the silver and large windows offering a nice view of the valley. The restaurant staff was excellent and attentive. One of them observed my wife coughing at breakfast and sent a "kaadha" later in the day to our room. I also observed that the food in general was extremely expensive at the hotel, it was not bad but exorbitant for its quality. Right after this stay we had moved to Wildflower Hall and the food there, pretty much the same price as Clarke's was way too good.

Location of the hotel is fantastic, you can reach the main attractions of the Shimla town on foot. And it is conveniently close to the Lift. However, when coming from the railway station, you wont be able to drive up to the hotel, you will be dropped at something called "The Lift" a cramped elevator to lift you up the ridges. You may however hire porters to take your luggage from the lift to the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms at all cost.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AzimuthalP

Ambala Cantt, Haryana, India
Reviewed October 9, 2013

this property is bang on mall road and is a genuine vintage with all the modern amenities. we really enjoyed every bit of our stay here. one minus which of course is with all the hotels on mall road is that you can not take your car to the hotel. but they have their own parking slots just down below (high court parking). and beware, the parking guy will con you by issuing you a ticket nevertheless so get your free parking coupon from the hotel. the food too was excellent.
highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank anj191824

New Delhi, India
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel is located at the end of the Mall. A plus could be that it is accessible by car -- but the car route was closed when we were there. This means, we had to take the lift up to the mall. The lift is a bit if a mess. The view from our window was good inasmuch as you could see -- the courthouse behind obscures the view somewhat. (On the other hand it was fun to watch the lawyers mill around as you sipped your coffee.) The view rooms are in the back -- but I am not sure if the extra price would be worth it. The view from just outside the hotel is much better. I liked the interior decor and also enjoyed the ping pong table in the basement. The restaurant is also very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We have noted your comments regarding view of the room and will take this into considerations.
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

In addition to the usual chaos associated with Indian towns Shimla also has areas of tidyness and gentleness with buildings of a bygone era. To match this Clarkes Hotel provides professionalism mixed with great charm. Its relaxed atmosphere suits the town and is a great relief from the world outside. The dining room with its superb food is ruled over by waiters no less ancient and splendid that the room itself. Friendliness, courtesy and helpfulness are taken for granted. Shimla is well worth the long train trip ( don't miss going on the Blue Train ), from Delhi and staying at Clarkes provides the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a valley view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Very attentive servers who display genuine attentiveness with a toothy smile...Hot piping food after a long walk on the Mall on a cold evening. Dont miss the kulfis and the blackberry mocktail. Out of this world. Too bad we didnt stay here though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business