The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla
  • Room Service
Hotel Surya(Shimla)
  • Room Service
1,807 results
All reviewsindoor poolchef rajgreat rail journeyscentral atriumgolden trianglesteam roomwildflower halltoy trainfabulous hotelnorthern indiadressing roomviceregal lodgeold world charmthe general managerrestaurant staffactivity roomheritage property
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My friend suggested me to visit this heritage hotel as she is already in with shimla. I stayed for 4 night and i was amazed that every single staff interacted with me knows my last name & they already had my preferences from my previous hotel. Hotel manager (Vivek) is so nice & his team is so humble... I will come with my family in Jan to enjoy snowfall till the time remember me..

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Freeroamlance
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest

It is wonderful to know that the recommendation of your friend to stay at The Oberoi Cecil matched your expectations and that we have an ambassador in you. We look forward to your visit in January.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed at the Oberoi in Shimla this summer when me and my family went there for a vacation for 4 days. The hotel has a dedicated parking right below the hotel which is an advantage because parking can be a nightmare in Shimla. The hotel is one of the 5 star properties in Shimla and lives up to the Oberois reputation. The rooms are big, cleanliness is maintained and staff is very helpful. Once you check in they approach you enquiring if you already have a go around plan else they will create plans based on your need. Their plans include adventure camping trips, river rafting, etc. Separate space for kids recreation if you have small kids who are well taken care of. Beds are comfortable. The hotel is within close distance to the Mall Road. A very decent and recommended hotel for people visiting Shimla who have big pockets to afford 5 star stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience at The Oberoi Cecil. I am glad that the hotel and its facilities were to your liking and that the entire family enjoyed the stay.

Warm Regards

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in September. It was our second visit as we stayed there in 2008. It is an absolutely fabulous hotel with superb service and exceptionally attentive, friendly staff. It was my husbands birthday and we returned to our room to find a birthday card from the housekeeping staff along with a towelling monkey made up on the bed. They even left bookmarks in my reading books. Nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff including the hotel car and driver who took us to visit Bishop Cotton School where my husband had once been a pupil. We were very sorry to leave the comfort of the hotel and hope to return at some future date. A superb civilised experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms in this hotel are extremely comfortable Rooms at the back have a better view perhaps but this was not important as the hotel is so good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It is always special to welcome our guests back. I am delighted to know that you and your husband enjoyed your stay and the special touches the team did to ensure you felt at home. We eagerly look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed at the Oberoi Cecil during one of my recent trips to Shimla and this place lives up to the Oberoi hospitality. My every need was taken care of, from my food choices to room requirements. The staff is warm and courteous and makes you feel at home. I always love my stay any Oberoi property for their hospitality is par excellence and Cecil was no different.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience. I am happy that the team at the hotel ensured that your stay was comfortable. We look forward to more visits from you.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night on 28th Sept, 2013 and when I made the booking by calling them directly, they knew my previous history of my stays at Wildflower Hall and they offered a room in spite of the hotel website showing full on that specified date. I reached there by 11:30 AM and was greeted by all the front office staff and the General Manager himself to the extent of me feeling squirmy and shy.... I was offered a room, the corner room ( 208?) which did not have much view outside other than a road and cars coming up. This hotel is a heritage property and maintained very well and the rooms are bigger and comfortable than Wildflower. Ok, this review is not " compare and contrast " of Wildflower and Cecil. The room service was quite fast and efficient but, I cannot say the same about the taste of the food. It was very ordinary. I always find the Indian Food at Oberoi, a little hybrid to suit the palate of foreigners and not authentic to an Indian taste. But the breakfast disproved my findings.... It was quite delicious and the Masala Dosa was almost prefect, compared to a one coming out of Saravana Bhawan kitchen in Chennai.

I still have some observations... one has to jump in to the bath tub for taking a shower, a concept most of the luxury hotels have done away with, almost some 10 -15 years back! I also found the exhaust fan at the lavatory not very effective... do you have one? I could not see...
Apart from these bigger, structural issues, which cannot be fixed immediately, I found the towles very, very used ones. I also found the housekeeping sloppy... while removing the used plates from my room by myself, coke and and other liquids spilled on the floor and I called housekeeping to clean it up around 10:30 pm. The plates were removed, but the liquid stains were not cleaned till I left the room next day at 12 noon! Coke stained, sticky, wooden flooring at the entrance of the room was quite a sight to cross over 2/3 times during the morning activities of spa, breakfast and check out!

In spite of all these, a stay at Oberoi is always refreshing and very fulfilling!

Room Tip: the higher floor rooms with a good view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to know that you have experienced both our properties in Shimla. I am happy to read that your stay was comfortable and that you enjoyed your time at The Cecil. I have also made note of your constructive comments and would surely work upon to improve the errors. I would surely pass on you appreciation about the breakfast quality with our Chefs. I look forward to meeting you again on your next visit.