The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla
$43
Hotwire.com
  • Room Service
1,827 results
All reviewsindoor poolchef rajgreat rail journeyscentral atriumgolden trianglesteam roomwildflower halltoy trainfabulous hotelnorthern indiadressing roomviceregal lodgeold world charmthe general managerrestaurant staffactivity roomheritage property
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Nice old colonial hotel. Enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi after trips out. We stayed as part of golden triangle/himalayas tour. Room was nice but view was a wall, shame but we did not spend much time in the room. Heed the warnings about the monkeys, even if you think they cannot get near your window, they can! Bath was very slippy, had to ask for a slip mat, unfortunately after I slipped in the bath. This was readily provided though.
Communal areas nice, staff all excellent. Walked back from town, a fair walk but pleasant. Food on first night was all Indian, also limited choice. Food was pleasant but in a five star hotel I would expect a bit more choice. My husband does not eat desserts and no cheese ect available. We did mention these things on our survey and the staff came and spoke to us about these things. Lets hope they listen to customer comments. As always alcohol in any form very expensive as with all india hotels. Breakfast was self serve with fresh cooked options if required.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank norfolknic
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you with us and to know that you enjoyed your time in Shimla and at the hotel. Your feedback has been incorporated and I thank you for your feedback. We do hope to have you again with us on your next trip to Shimla.

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Great property, took us back to days of raj, I always wanted to stay in a vintage property at shimla.
Highlights of our stay
- Great location
- Well appointed rooms with right blend of colonial and modern styling.
- Kids Activity area
- spacious balconies

Lowlights of our stay
- we were offered rooms on first floor, inside of which is visible to people sitting In ground floor lounge.
- we were told that connected rooms are not available ( me and my brothers family were together), however room adjoining one of our rooms was vacant, this as discovered accidentally as the staff left the connecting door open and kids pushed it open, we were disappointed by this carelessness and lack of sensitivity towards our request.
- we were welcomed and asked to sit in the lounge while the welcome drink is served and check formalities are done, later staff escorted us to our rooms and told that welcome drinks would be served in the rooms, the welcome drinks were never served!!!!
- it took almost 1 hour for staff to get a cork screw to our room,

Summary: It's a great place definitely, however the service levels are much lower than the expectations. No special experience.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank ajaysharma2411
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you and the family stay with us. Your gracious comments on the rooms, location of the hotel and the kids play area are much appreciated. I have noted your points on delay of service and I assure you we would work upon the same. As for the interconnecting rooms, One of them was of a Premier category that was blocked for a guaranteed arrival. The hotel has two blocks, the Cecil block where you were staying and the Tudor block. We are happy to offer rooms as per guest preference. On your next trip do write to me directly at arpit.pant@oberoihotels.com and I would be happy make arrangements for your preferred room category. We do hope to have you at The Oberoi Cecil again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Hi

Went with the family for a quick weekend, the hotel is very nice, the staff is good.. till you reach the restaurant....

What is worst is being told that this is the way a dish normally tastes like... (Like we are having something for the first time).... it was so bad.. that had to walk to a local place called Tara near by.... (the food is much much better)

Someone can argue that the hotel & staff was good.. then Y did i give a "terrible" in my ratings.. 'cause for me food forms a good part of the experience... & specially with Kids & elders.. had to hunt for good food around....

Cheers

Room Tip: Don't go if you really want to enjoy with family... if you don't mind to hunt for food... then a good place....
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Saching357
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking my call and sharing your feedback. I am disappointed that we fell short of your expectations during your stay with the dining experience at the hotel, especially food. The team strives hard to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay but on this occasion we have not been up to the mark. I would like to assure you that I along with the chef would surely work upon the points shared by you. I am also happy to note your appreciation for our team and other hotel services. As discussed with you I do hope to have you back on your next trip. You also have my coordinates. Do let me know for any assistance.

Warm Regards

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The oberoi cecil is indeed a place to be in Shimla. Walking distance from Mall road and excellent service by hotel staff. In terms of service id give 5 stars, but the rooms are a bit old and would not suit some travelers, hence getting 4 stars from me. Guess they want to leave the building that way to preserve the vintage feeling... In spite of the hotel being an old building, amenities are actually okay with heated indoor swimming pool and a great activity room for kids to enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hashim5745
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for giving us a thumbs up. It is great to know that are services and facilities were enjoyed by you. I regret that the rooms were not upto your liking. If you could send me more details it would help me get a better understanding. You could write to me at arpit.pant@oberoihotels.com

The team and I look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

It is a heritage property and excellently maintained to provide all modern amenities. Luxury and service are a highpoint as you with expect with Oberoi hotels. Location is good being situated a few hundred meters from the Mall. Hotel has its own parking and vehicles go till the hotel and this works out as a added advantage. Food is good with a wide choice and buffet breakfast is very elaborate. Heated Pool & Jacuzzi is superb and fun to be in. A host of kids activities and excellent views are another plus. Hotel is certainly the best in Shimla.

Room Tip: All rooms are good with good valley views
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities during your stay and that our service and food were to your liking and that the children enjoyed all the activities arranged for them.. The hotel ample parking is indeed an advantage for our guests to use. We do hope to have more visits from you in the near future.