“Another world in the hills......”

The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla
Ranked #1 of 123 Hotels in Shimla
Reviewed November 16, 2012

After a long train journey from New Delhi, we noticed that our 'name board' was the first in line as we left Shimla Station and we were swiftly driven to the Cecil, to a very warm welcome and a room upgrade with vaulted ceiling on the 5th floor with glorious views over the hills.
Everything at this hotel is Oberoi standard - first class, spotlessly clean, unfailing service - but I have just one critisism. A fellow guest was allowed to dine in the beautiful formal dining room in the evening wearing a rugby shirt and baseball cap - he should at least have been asked to remove his cap by the management in this standard of hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for a wonderful review. We are all delighted to note that the services at our hotel matched up to your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay thoroughly. I have also taken a note on your observation about the dining room dressing. I am happy to note that you enjoyed your room and the view.

Arpit Pant

Write a ReviewReviews (1,713)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

this is a beautiful colonial style hotel in a convenient situation in Shimla.
The rooms were spacious, clean and bright.
The staff were outstanding, courteous, cheerful, and attentive.
The food for both breakfast and dinner were also excellent with lots of choice, both Indian and Western dishes.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank colinr_03
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Guest,

The hotel is indeed a 100 plus year old colonial structure in the most prominent area of Shimla town. Thank you for appreciating the hotel facilities and the service of our staff during your stay. We hope to have you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel a little while ago now, but reading recent reviews I notice little has changed,in that it was a truly lovely expierence. The rooms are great, the staff are great, the food was fantastic.
Sheer joy, Oberoi you should be proud.

Room Tip: Top floor if you smoke, try the spa, fab.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank forestAndorra

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and posting your review. It gives us immense pleasure to note when our guests appreciate our consistency in service. We look forward to your continued patronage.

Regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Oberoi in October 2012. The staff at this hotel are exceptional and ooze kindness and efficiency and attention to detail. You feel like you are part of a family. Unfortunately my mother fell sick during our stay and had to attend the local hospital on several ocassions. Without the support of the staff my world would have fallen apart. They helped me in every way possible; a member of staff sat with my mother throughout the night (in casuality) while I got some rest and when she was transferred to a hospital in Chandigarth a member of staff travelled with me and stayed with me until the tour company provided support.

The hotel is beautiful and the facilities are wonderful but it is the staff that make this hotel great.

Debra (Manchester)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Debra Jayne S

Dear Guest,

Greetings, I hope your journey back was comfortable. Thank you for such kind words about the team at The Oberoi Cecil. I do hope that your mother is feeling better and the team joins me in wishing her good health.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Wonderful room, exceptional comfort. Staff superbly efficient but warm, kind and always smiling.

The whole athmosphere was delightful. Exceptional kindness was shown to us with flowers and cake to celebrate a very special anniversary.

What could have been an inconvenience in the travel arrangment back to Kalka was solved prompty and effeciently by the beatiful lady manager on duty.

All the staff cannot be praised more highly.

I hope I will return

M

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a very superior room on 5th floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at The Oberoi Cecil. Your kind words and positive comments inspire the team to continuously do well. I am also pleased to know that our colleague at the Front Desk was able to help you with your transfer arrangements at short notice. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Cecil for 3 nights in September 2012, and enjoyed pampering ourselves whilst there.

As arranged, the hotel chauffeur was there to meet us at the train station and drove the short distance to the Cecil. Due to a flight cancellation, we also used their chauffeur service from Shimla to Kalka on our hastily rearranged return to Delhi. Their drivers are excellent, ensuring we had a stress-free personal transport while there and down the mountain.

My wife was impressed by our room, and was blown away by the enchanting vista from our balcony. Being tired from the long train journey from Delhi, we dined in our room before crashing into bed. The room service and meal was faultless, and the wonderfully large comfortable bed (and choice of pillows) ensured we awoke refreshed. There was a minor problem with the refrigerator, but hotel engineering soon remedied that.

Dining room staff demonstrated the perfect balance of professionalism and friendliness, attending to needs without hovering around us, yet being willing to chat about their lives and career aspirations during breakfast each morning, The continental breakfast was first class, and offered excellent variety of fresh juices, fruits, cereals and danish pastries etc.

My wife enjoyed a spa session at the hotel so much, she insisted I have one the following evening. Very enjoyable indeed.

The Oberoi is expensive, but it does offer real value for money...and great service!

Room Tip: We opted for a Premier Room with a Mountain View, and were not disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and posting such a detailed feedback about your stay. I am happy to note that all the hotel services that you utilized have left a positive impression and made your experience with us better. Our focus has been always to provide efficient yet unobtrusive service to our guests. I would share your kind words with all team members at the hotel.

Warm regards

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our stay at the Oberoi Cecil Shimla will always remain a wonderful memory. From check-in to check-out, the experience was nothing short of terrific. The Oberoi staff have exceptional service with a smile attitudes. I loved the ambience, the tasteful room, and the attention to detail. Knowing that it was a special trip, the staff went all out to ensure we had a great time. They gave us one of their best rooms. If you are visiting Shimla, I highly recommend you stay here. You will have the best experience.

Room Tip: Select a package that includes breakfast.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review about your experience at The Oberoi Cecil. I am happy to note that we have been able to create a special place in your heart, and that you had a memorable stay. We look forward to having you with us on your future visits to Shimla.

Arpit Pant

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shimla
Clarkes Hotel
Honeymoon Inn Shimla
Honeymoon Inn Shimla
#5 of 123 in Shimla
Marigold Sarovar Portico

Been to The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla? Share your experiences!