“wonderful hotel”

Ranked #1 of 112 Hotels in Shimla
Exeter, United Kingdom
“wonderful hotel”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

this is a beautiful colonial style hotel in a convenient situation in Shimla.
The rooms were spacious, clean and bright.
The staff were outstanding, courteous, cheerful, and attentive.
The food for both breakfast and dinner were also excellent with lots of choice, both Indian and Western dishes.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

The hotel is indeed a 100 plus year old colonial structure in the most prominent area of Shimla town. Thank you for appreciating the hotel facilities and the service of our staff during your stay. We hope to have you back with us in the near future.

Arpit Pant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
andorra
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel a little while ago now, but reading recent reviews I notice little has changed,in that it was a truly lovely expierence. The rooms are great, the staff are great, the food was fantastic.
Sheer joy, Oberoi you should be proud.

Room Tip: Top floor if you smoke, try the spa, fab.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and posting your review. It gives us immense pleasure to note when our guests appreciate our consistency in service. We look forward to your continued patronage.

Regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Oberoi in October 2012. The staff at this hotel are exceptional and ooze kindness and efficiency and attention to detail. You feel like you are part of a family. Unfortunately my mother fell sick during our stay and had to attend the local hospital on several ocassions. Without the support of the staff my world would have fallen apart. They helped me in every way possible; a member of staff sat with my mother throughout the night (in casuality) while I got some rest and when she was transferred to a hospital in Chandigarth a member of staff travelled with me and stayed with me until the tour company provided support.

The hotel is beautiful and the facilities are wonderful but it is the staff that make this hotel great.

Debra (Manchester)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Greetings, I hope your journey back was comfortable. Thank you for such kind words about the team at The Oberoi Cecil. I do hope that your mother is feeling better and the team joins me in wishing her good health.

Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Wonderful room, exceptional comfort. Staff superbly efficient but warm, kind and always smiling.

The whole athmosphere was delightful. Exceptional kindness was shown to us with flowers and cake to celebrate a very special anniversary.

What could have been an inconvenience in the travel arrangment back to Kalka was solved prompty and effeciently by the beatiful lady manager on duty.

All the staff cannot be praised more highly.

I hope I will return

M

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a very superior room on 5th floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at The Oberoi Cecil. Your kind words and positive comments inspire the team to continuously do well. I am also pleased to know that our colleague at the Front Desk was able to help you with your transfer arrangements at short notice. We look forward to your next visit.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Cecil for 3 nights in September 2012, and enjoyed pampering ourselves whilst there.

As arranged, the hotel chauffeur was there to meet us at the train station and drove the short distance to the Cecil. Due to a flight cancellation, we also used their chauffeur service from Shimla to Kalka on our hastily rearranged return to Delhi. Their drivers are excellent, ensuring we had a stress-free personal transport while there and down the mountain.

My wife was impressed by our room, and was blown away by the enchanting vista from our balcony. Being tired from the long train journey from Delhi, we dined in our room before crashing into bed. The room service and meal was faultless, and the wonderfully large comfortable bed (and choice of pillows) ensured we awoke refreshed. There was a minor problem with the refrigerator, but hotel engineering soon remedied that.

Dining room staff demonstrated the perfect balance of professionalism and friendliness, attending to needs without hovering around us, yet being willing to chat about their lives and career aspirations during breakfast each morning, The continental breakfast was first class, and offered excellent variety of fresh juices, fruits, cereals and danish pastries etc.

My wife enjoyed a spa session at the hotel so much, she insisted I have one the following evening. Very enjoyable indeed.

The Oberoi is expensive, but it does offer real value for money...and great service!

Room Tip: We opted for a Premier Room with a Mountain View, and were not disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and posting such a detailed feedback about your stay. I am happy to note that all the hotel services that you utilized have left a positive impression and made your experience with us better. Our focus has been always to provide efficient yet unobtrusive service to our guests. I would share your kind words with all team members at the hotel.

Warm regards
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our stay at the Oberoi Cecil Shimla will always remain a wonderful memory. From check-in to check-out, the experience was nothing short of terrific. The Oberoi staff have exceptional service with a smile attitudes. I loved the ambience, the tasteful room, and the attention to detail. Knowing that it was a special trip, the staff went all out to ensure we had a great time. They gave us one of their best rooms. If you are visiting Shimla, I highly recommend you stay here. You will have the best experience.

Room Tip: Select a package that includes breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review about your experience at The Oberoi Cecil. I am happy to note that we have been able to create a special place in your heart, and that you had a memorable stay. We look forward to having you with us on your future visits to Shimla.

Sydney
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is my second visit since Sept 2011. I have to say this hotel provides a great end-to-end service to me and my friends.

During the booking process, the reservation staff listened to my requests (such as room types, floors, pickup) carefully and everything is executed perfectly. The check in process has changed since last time and I am very satisfied with the improved credit card processing procedures.

The room allocated to me and my friend is exactly the same one I stayed last time, it has got a huge balcony with great valley views and all the furnishings are of the highest standards. Because we checked in on Dussehra day, there are nice Indian sweets waiting for us in the room, a very good gesture from the hotel. Last time, the housekeeping was a little bit unstable, but this time is perfect and the in-room internet access is a great improvement from the last time I had to use the lobby desk to do the internet and often mistaken me as the hotel staff and had to answer questions from the guests while I was doing internet.

The swimming pool is great and so does the jacuzzi, the staff at the pool is very attentive. Everyone in the hotel smiles and greet us and definitely not in an intrusive manner so we really feel like being treated like special guests.

Besides sightseeting and sleeping, we spend a lot of time in the Restaurant, the staff try to allocate the same table to us (a group of 4) everyday, they serve us with great professionalism, especially the Food and Beverage Supervisor that he makes sure everything is fine for us and he often will give us food suggestion and we are glad to listen to him; the supervisor had served me last year and he is still providing the excellent service and he is a great asset of the hotel. I also found the western food has improved greatly compared to last time, I tried to avoid western food last time because most were of average quality but it is a different story this time and the Indian food is always excellent and I especially like the Kullu Trout.

At the Lounge, we found there are rooms for improvement, we found no coasters are used for drinks by a waiter (it was immediately fixed by the same Food & Beverage Supervisor from the Restaurant) and therefore left water stains on the beautiful tables and tables are not cleaned properly on another occasion and we also encountered ice cubes fell out of the bucket while the waiter tried to add them to our drinks, these need to be addressed.

Finally, we have to leave the hotel around 5am, the Food & Beverage Supervisor from the Restaurant kinldy arrange for breakfast boxes to be prepared for us so we won't go hungry on the way to Chandigarh, he is very thoughful and the food prepared is very tasty. The driver that drives us to Chandigarh is very good, the whole journey is very comfortable and one member of our group is not feeling well and he stops the car and also goes to comfort him when he is recovering from the car sickness.

We all have such a great time at the Oberoi Cecil, it's like at home and everyone is so generous in their hospitality towards us.

Hope to come back very soon.

Room Tip: Get rooms with valley views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you back with us at The Oberoi Cecil. I am happy to note that the change in our check in process added to your satisfaction and that the rooms that were blocked as per your stay records were liked by you this time as well. The festive season is here in India and it is nice to read that you liked the sweet amenity in your room. Thank you for appreciating the various facilities and the service in the hotel. I would also pass on your postive comments about the team in the Restaurant and about Gyaru our Food and bevarage supervisor.
Thank you once again for taking the time and posting such a detailed review. We look forward to having you back with us soon.
Arpit Pant
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shimla
Radisson Hotel Shimla