“Friendly and Efficient Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla

The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla
Ranked #1 of 111 Hotels in Shimla
Perth, Australia
“Friendly and Efficient Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Cecil for 3 nights in September 2012, and enjoyed pampering ourselves whilst there.

As arranged, the hotel chauffeur was there to meet us at the train station and drove the short distance to the Cecil. Due to a flight cancellation, we also used their chauffeur service from Shimla to Kalka on our hastily rearranged return to Delhi. Their drivers are excellent, ensuring we had a stress-free personal transport while there and down the mountain.

My wife was impressed by our room, and was blown away by the enchanting vista from our balcony. Being tired from the long train journey from Delhi, we dined in our room before crashing into bed. The room service and meal was faultless, and the wonderfully large comfortable bed (and choice of pillows) ensured we awoke refreshed. There was a minor problem with the refrigerator, but hotel engineering soon remedied that.

Dining room staff demonstrated the perfect balance of professionalism and friendliness, attending to needs without hovering around us, yet being willing to chat about their lives and career aspirations during breakfast each morning, The continental breakfast was first class, and offered excellent variety of fresh juices, fruits, cereals and danish pastries etc.

My wife enjoyed a spa session at the hotel so much, she insisted I have one the following evening. Very enjoyable indeed.

The Oberoi is expensive, but it does offer real value for money...and great service!

Room Tip: We opted for a Premier Room with a Mountain View, and were not disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and posting such a detailed feedback about your stay. I am happy to note that all the hotel services that you utilized have left a positive impression and made your experience with us better. Our focus has been always to provide efficient yet unobtrusive service to our guests. I would share your kind words with all team members at the hotel.

Warm regards
Arpit Pant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our stay at the Oberoi Cecil Shimla will always remain a wonderful memory. From check-in to check-out, the experience was nothing short of terrific. The Oberoi staff have exceptional service with a smile attitudes. I loved the ambience, the tasteful room, and the attention to detail. Knowing that it was a special trip, the staff went all out to ensure we had a great time. They gave us one of their best rooms. If you are visiting Shimla, I highly recommend you stay here. You will have the best experience.

Room Tip: Select a package that includes breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review about your experience at The Oberoi Cecil. I am happy to note that we have been able to create a special place in your heart, and that you had a memorable stay. We look forward to having you with us on your future visits to Shimla.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is my second visit since Sept 2011. I have to say this hotel provides a great end-to-end service to me and my friends.

During the booking process, the reservation staff listened to my requests (such as room types, floors, pickup) carefully and everything is executed perfectly. The check in process has changed since last time and I am very satisfied with the improved credit card processing procedures.

The room allocated to me and my friend is exactly the same one I stayed last time, it has got a huge balcony with great valley views and all the furnishings are of the highest standards. Because we checked in on Dussehra day, there are nice Indian sweets waiting for us in the room, a very good gesture from the hotel. Last time, the housekeeping was a little bit unstable, but this time is perfect and the in-room internet access is a great improvement from the last time I had to use the lobby desk to do the internet and often mistaken me as the hotel staff and had to answer questions from the guests while I was doing internet.

The swimming pool is great and so does the jacuzzi, the staff at the pool is very attentive. Everyone in the hotel smiles and greet us and definitely not in an intrusive manner so we really feel like being treated like special guests.

Besides sightseeting and sleeping, we spend a lot of time in the Restaurant, the staff try to allocate the same table to us (a group of 4) everyday, they serve us with great professionalism, especially the Food and Beverage Supervisor that he makes sure everything is fine for us and he often will give us food suggestion and we are glad to listen to him; the supervisor had served me last year and he is still providing the excellent service and he is a great asset of the hotel. I also found the western food has improved greatly compared to last time, I tried to avoid western food last time because most were of average quality but it is a different story this time and the Indian food is always excellent and I especially like the Kullu Trout.

At the Lounge, we found there are rooms for improvement, we found no coasters are used for drinks by a waiter (it was immediately fixed by the same Food & Beverage Supervisor from the Restaurant) and therefore left water stains on the beautiful tables and tables are not cleaned properly on another occasion and we also encountered ice cubes fell out of the bucket while the waiter tried to add them to our drinks, these need to be addressed.

Finally, we have to leave the hotel around 5am, the Food & Beverage Supervisor from the Restaurant kinldy arrange for breakfast boxes to be prepared for us so we won't go hungry on the way to Chandigarh, he is very thoughful and the food prepared is very tasty. The driver that drives us to Chandigarh is very good, the whole journey is very comfortable and one member of our group is not feeling well and he stops the car and also goes to comfort him when he is recovering from the car sickness.

We all have such a great time at the Oberoi Cecil, it's like at home and everyone is so generous in their hospitality towards us.

Hope to come back very soon.

Room Tip: Get rooms with valley views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you back with us at The Oberoi Cecil. I am happy to note that the change in our check in process added to your satisfaction and that the rooms that were blocked as per your stay records were liked by you this time as well. The festive season is here in India and it is nice to read that you liked the sweet amenity in your room. Thank you for appreciating the various facilities and the service in the hotel. I would also pass on your postive comments about the team in the Restaurant and about Gyaru our Food and bevarage supervisor.
Thank you once again for taking the time and posting such a detailed review. We look forward to having you back with us soon.
Howrah, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

On my recent visit to Kinnaur Valley in Himachal Prodesh I decided to spend a night at Simla and being insisted by my son, who also accompanied me, I chose to stay at Oberoi Cecil. On the morning of 24th. October,2012 I started from Chandigarh by car and reached Simla around noon. We were very warmly greeted by the staff of the Oberoi Cecil and most of the staff present at the time introduced themselves with a sweet smile which never disappeared till we checked out on the next day. We booked three Premium rooms with valley view. The rooms are neat and clean and the heritage hotel is provided with all modern amenities. All the staff whom we met including those in the Restaurant are always ready to assist you if you require their assistance. In my future visit to Simla I may put up again at Oberoi Cecil.

Room Tip: Choose Premium Room with Valley view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you decided to stay with us on you son's insistence and that you and the entire family enjoyed your stay. Your postive comments about the hotel and services are a great source of motivation for all of us at the hotel. We look forward to your continued visit's in the future.

Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Beautiful interiors, kids activity room, heated jaccuzi and pool, large size rooms; the best part is courtesy and service with a smile; i seriously haven't seen such smiling and warm staff ever, either its oberoi or 'pahari' people; location is good; food is good (and even better is you ask for it they will cook); we went during election time and most politicians were staying there only - the two things which could be improved are delay in service and you can't leave your window open - for the monkeys!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review. I am happy to know that you and the family enjoyed your stay. Thank you for also acknowledging the efforts of the team at the hotel. You were in Shimla during a busy time for the town but I am glad you were able to enjoy amidst the hustle bustle of election time. We look forward to your company again not so far in the future.

skelton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel is an oasis in a country of chaos.Having done the Golden Triangle of Dehli, Agra ,and Jaipur,Shimla was an extension to our holiday.Busy from day one.All the hotels we stayed at were very good,but the Oberoi was so peaceful and relaxing after the most hectic( holiday?) I have ever had.Top marks for everything.Had room service one night with a free video from reception to watch Excellent food and service. Indoor swimming pool and gym facilities first class. Total relaxtion.Loved it.

Room Tip: room 216 where we stayed has a balcony with good views but will you have time to use it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
oberoicecilshimla, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review. I am glad that Shimla city and The Oberoi Cecil were able to provide you the much needed relaxation post a hectic tour. Your kind and positive words are much appreciated by all of us.

Holywell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Cecil for a few days and found it to be yet another gem from the Oberoi family. The rooms, the furnishings, the views, the food and, as always, the superb service from the staff, made it hard to leave. How do Oberoi Staff manage to make you feel like the only Guests, and do it with so much apparent enjoyment and enthusiasm? The red ribboned gift book from the Barman had us both dabbing at our eyes! Another superb Oberoi Hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
oberoicecilshimla, Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is an absolute delight to read your review. Thank you for all your comments. Your appreciation spurs us further to work hard and continuously delight our guests. We look forward to your continued visits at Oberoi hotels.

Arpit Pant
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shimla
Radisson Hotel Shimla
#3 of 111 in Shimla
Hotel Willow Banks
Hotel Willow Banks
#14 of 111 in Shimla

Been to The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla? Share your experiences!