“Never Go There”

WelcomHeritage Woodville Palace Shimla
Ranked #25 of 117 Hotels in Shimla
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Never ever go there in January. We arrived after 18 inches of snow had fallen.There is no heating in the rooms apart from an electric fire. Diners were eating wearing overcoats. The staff had no idea how to serve a meal or look after their guests although the offer of hot water bottles was well intentioned. Made Fawlty Towers look good. Internet access was down. The plumbing in the bathroom was quite frankly dangerous. Wires coming from hot water tanks and scalding steam coming from the taps. The hotel boasts about is 1930's feel but nothing has been done to it since and it is frankly archaic. Would give a minus rating if I could.
Loved Shimla though which we thought was an amazing place and the people were very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank DavidTomkins81
divrajjubbal, Owner at WelcomHeritage Woodville Palace Shimla, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Mr. Tomkins,
Our sincere apologies for your experience at our hotel. We are in the process of modernizing our facilities and would look to incorporate your feedback on infrastructure in our plans. We will look into our staff as well as it is our goal to ensure our clients expectations are met. We hope that you would consider staying with us post our re-haul.
Kind regards,
Divraj Singh Jubbal.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at Woodville during Christmas 2012. Went with my wife and two kids.
They had organized a nice barbeque in the lawns with an Archery contest - was great fun.
While it is a 15-20 minute walk away from the mall - one doesn't mind the walk as it is mostly flat (no major climb). Even my kids enjoyed the walks from the Hotel to the mall and back.
The staff is very warm and the food is decent.

Room Tip: Its definitely more fun staying in the Palace Wing rather than the Heritage Wing.
4  Thank shanz_9999
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a kind of place where you can sit and write poems! M serious! The location, scenic view from rooms, food, lawn, room facilities are so relaxing.. I bet you will not feel like leaving the room.. Absolutely amazing.. this hotel is..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank shivee s
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Pros - Very large Rooms, Very Large Bed, Fireplace with in room (chargable extra), Comfortable parking with in Hotel, Excellent and Tasty Food, Huge washoom with 100ltr Water Heater enough to take 2 people shower with in 30min in Shimla Cold Winters. Room Heater Rods could make stay comfortable.
Cons - Very Old Furniture, sofa's seats have worn out both from inside and outside, Wash room floor and bath tub seriously need renovation although taps were working OK.
Location - Right next to Governer and Chief Minister house, take a 15min walk and you are in Mall Road, path is OK but has some climb. Very Quiet with its own lawns to sit outside on an bright sunny day :)
Verdict - If you want to stay in good hotel with smiling staff, good food and ready to accept the cons - strongly suggest do try once and make ur own review.

Room Tip: Go for there higher catagory room with in the main complex.
3  Thank Docvini
Reviewed January 20, 2013

its a beautiful, quaint palace....full of antiques, old carpets and other old royal family things. beautiful garden with hammocks. tranquility enjoyed at its best......normal rooms not at all maintained....shabby bedspread.....old tv....bathrooms upkeep poor.....food was ok....rather good....caramel custard was excellent. the chefs good with continental....english dishes....chicken roast etc, breakfast so so.....good staff....by and large an average experience.....the suite is very nice n tastefully done give one the feeling of being in the palace......

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Thehouseoftea
Reviewed January 8, 2013

its an old but good hotel with lot of greenery at the premises, the service is good, food is also good, good view, 3 kms from mall road,clean spacious rooms, bathrooms are clean but require a little bit of refurbishment, heaters are there in the room.

3  Thank manishberiwala
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I decided to spend the new year in the hotel (checkin 30dec and checkout 1st Jan. The reason why I chose this hotel was because I was not getting reservation in any 4 or 5 star hotel in shimla and my travel agent highly recommended it (now I realise that it was because this was the only property available)

Upon arrival we saw no happy faces to greet or welcome us. After parking the car we went straight to the reception. The checkin was quick but the room was a big disappointment. I had a very old look and old furniture. The bathrooms were below average. I think to give a fair review, this may be also because it is a heritage hotel and they have tried to preserve and provide the same. This my be good for some but bad for others. In my case I did not like at all. I was travelling with my kids and they were equally disappointed. There was nothing for their entertainment and keep them busy. This was minimum to be expected at a WH hotel.

I asked them if they can provide me an alternate room (better room), they provided some option ( a cottage) at additional cost. The cottage was also very average but better then their imperial room for which I already paid 23k for 2 nights...!!!

The dinner and breakfast was very average stuff. I requested for some South Indian food (kids asked for dosa) and it was a clear no. Another disappointment.

At one point if time we thought of checking out and returning back to Delhi. But later decided not to do so as we were late to depart. I also enquired of some money can be refunded if I checkout a day early. The answer was big no. I understood.

I would recommend this hotel only if you have taste for heritage hotels. Avoid if travelling with kids.

• Stayed: December 2012