“Just average”
Review of Victory Hotel

Victory Hotel
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Shimla
Reviewed December 9, 2010

SInce it was not peak season I had decided not to have rooms booked in advance. There were a couple of porters on the station who offered to carry our luggage to a few nearby hotels till we found one we liked.
Hotel Victory was the first one they took us to and we liked the room they offered. It was for 2400 but they were offering 50% off season discount so it seemed like a bargain. The room was spacious and offered a great view of the valley. Pick the rooms on the front side of the hotel as they have the better view. The room and the bathroom were clean. It was nothing fancy but for the price it seemed like a bargain.
The hotel is a good 10 to 15 mins walk to the mall which includes some steep slopes so would not recommend it to the elderly.
The room service was decent and the staff well behaved. The food was not good and I would not recommend having any meals in the hotel.
We had a bus late in the evening so they offered to keep our luggage after the 12 noon checkout and it was safely returned to us.
Overall it was a no frills hotel and we had a decent stay at a bargain price. Go for it if you are not planning to spend a lot of money.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarafashish

Reviewed July 23, 2010

Looking at photos on internet can be misleading, I learnt this lesson hardway when I booked for myself and my family to stay at Hotel Victory, Near Victory tunnel, Shimla in May 2010. On arriving at the hotel after a wonderful 5 days stay at Manali, we found that our booking itself was not confirmed. Though I had booking receipts of YATRA.COM, the reception staff refused to accept. The guy was illeterate, snob and rude when he spoke . (May be he is owner's brother-in-law, thats why the liberty). After a lot of argument and communication, he obliged to give us a so called Delux room which was shabby, unclean in every manner (in short Pathetic, U cud catch some deadly disease). We found that we were charged a higher price (Rs. 3500/= against Rs. 2200/=) than the original tarrif itself. The staff are illiterate,sneaky, ogle at women and mannerless. The food was bad. though we paid for the food in advance, we preferred to eat out on the Mall Road. I had heard and read so much about Shimla that I really looked forward to this visit but the 3 days stay gave us a such a bad taste that we wanted to get out of Shimla and vowed that we will never visit this city again. I am sure every city has both good and bad things. May be we were destined for bad experience. If you are visiting Shimla avoid this Victory Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My husband and I stayed at shimla from 17th May to 20th May at Victory hotel. Reading reviews at Tripadvisor we decided to stay at Victory Hotel. As planned we booked the hotel over internet and telephone.Also we paid advance for SUPER DELUXE room for 3 nights(2000/- NET/night-EP basis) by bank draft (at icici ac. no.[--] against Balbir Kukreja's name) on May 10,2010. However the incident or I should say mishaps started to occur on May 17th 2010 when I called at hotel for informing that I have reached at Kalka and will be reaching the hotel shortly. The person who received the call (introduced himself as Balbir Kukreja's younger brother) told me that "sorry we cant give the room you booked". When I told him I have all the payment receipt and booking confirmation mail, he told me okay I can arrange a room for you at another hotel with the same rate but not at Hotel Victory as no room is empty. I agreed as we had no other option at that time and reached at hotel at around 9 pm. He showed us a room at Hotel TAJ VICTORY (another hotel owned by the Balbir Kukreja) and I really became disappointed to see the room and location (later I came to know that the room rate was 1250nett /night). The room was really small without any window and the toilet was damn dirty. At that time I disagreed to stay at that room and asked that person to call Mr. Balbir Kukreja. He connected to Balbir Kukreja and I talked to him. The way he behaved was really surprising to me.He simply shouted at me and told me that "if you don't want to stay at Tajvictory,its your choice,but neither I can arrange room at Victory nor I can refund (by that time it was 10.00 pm). I was really helpless.... my husband then told me that for this night lets stay at this hotel (as we had no other option after a long journey from Delhi to shimla). I agreed to him and spent the worst night of my life at that room. At morning we again talked to the manager of Victory hotel and requested to change the room. He told us that you only can get SUITE (it was for 4 persons and RS.4300/- NET per night) as no other room are available. We had no other option and therefore we shifted at Suite of Victory Hotel. Well to be frank the suite was only so called.It was actually a family room,nothing else. However to adjust money matter we decided to stay at Shimla 2 nights instead of 3 nights (as we had to pay 6300 for 2 nights which was supposed to be 6000 for 3 nights). On 20th May we left for Manali with a worst experience with Shimla only bcz of Hotel Victory with a payment of 300 INR more. I really regret for selecting Hotel Victory and would suggest not to be fool by choosing this hotel.Rather on the mall road as well as near mall lift there are many hotels,go for that. Dont be fool like us and don't waste ur holiday :-(

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fairytale_dhk
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I read @ this hotel from one of the website, gone to its website and looks OK. I have decided to try this and booked it.

I reached Shimla by bus. The hotel is at walking distance frm bus station @ 0.5 km. We checked in the hotel. Rooms r good with nice view of hills and valley. The mall road is just short walk away, but u need to climb up @ three floor, which is somewhat tiring. U can get taxies to move around at various palces and also at resonable rates.

The room rate are also resonable - @ 1400 rs per day.
the hotel have restaurant also, where we gone for dinner once.

For lunch there r plenty options on mall road.

relatively oggd exp @ hotel

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank pragneshpatel18
Reviewed March 18, 2010

The Hotel is situated in Lower Shimla - which means that you do not have to walk /climb much form the Shimla Railway Station in case you come by the Kalka Shimla narrow gauge train. You get favoulous price discount in off season, you may even get a broker/tou escorting you to the hotel from the railway station. Book a room in the front the view is good. However you have to climb / walk a lot if you want to visit the Ridge. the Mall or the kalibari.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ranjan_das
Reviewed January 20, 2010

In June 09 end, we have decided go for a vacation to a hill station, we have selected Shimla. We have booked transportation well in advance, and thought of book hotel when we reach Shimla.

A day before journey, think that what will happen if we didn’t get proper accommodation, hence we decided to book online. So looked for some of the hotels, but almost full, at last got Hotel Victory, which had some rooms left. We have booked online with one of the website, but in back of mind had fear @ the hotel quality and location and I hadn’t been to Shimla earlier.

Anyway, we had traveled to Shimla by train, and hire a Porter to reach hotel as we have luggage, else the hotel is just ½ to 1 KM away from station as mentioned in the advertisement. On checking in we got keys and reach to room. The rates we have got was Rs. 1600 per day (in June which is heavy season for hill station), with 25 % cash back for online booking, so effectively, Rs. 1200 per day, with taxes.

The view for hotel is quite clear and we can say greenery as well as hills. The mall road is @ 1 km away walking distance.

Hotel has a taxi service for local sight seen and to Kufri which is at reasonable charges.

We have tried food, we found it quite tasty compared to other restaurant at Shimla, and also rates are quite comparable.

On last day, checkout at 12 noon, but our bus to Delhi is in evening, so we requested to keep our luggage in lock room and hotel manager agreed. In evening, We found our luggage safely returned to us.

Overall, the hotel is good, and we may go there again if we end up to Shimla sometime in future.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family