“Very nice budget hotel with wonderful location”
Review of Hotel Mehar Castle

Hotel Mehar Castle
Ranked #653 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
“Very nice budget hotel with wonderful location”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This review is written from a point of view of a budget traveller, a couple, with no children, with no car, considering the indian standards and used to find all kind of mishappenings around. For us this hotel was very nice. We stayed 5 nights and we had no problems.

Pros:
- clean bed sheets and clean bathroom. Bathroom half dry. In India the shower has no separation from the rest and everything gets wet In this hotel it has a small separation and makes things easy
- free wi-fi, LCD TV, AC - all working. New room (I believe they renovated the rooms short ago)
- near the Karol Bagh metro (two blocks)
- near the central market
- everything we needed was near: all fast foods, small markets for water, cookies, butter and cheese. A very nice bakery with brown bread and grain bread called Anjlika.
- the staff was very nice and always helped us when we needed
- we did not try the food because there are so many places around

Cons:
- the location is wonderful to move around but we are in the center of a very busy road so there is lots of noise. Dogs, honking, people talking. If you are a light sleeper it is not the best place
- since the area is fit for a lot of shopping, a lot of locals come for a day: come, buy, leave. They make a lot of noise coming, packing and leaving.

We recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the reception because of the noise. Maybe the end of corridor and high floor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Vania T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chandipur, India
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I caught pneumonia due to my hotel rooms bad air conditioning unit. Hotel was otherwise unremarkable and somewhat uncomfortable. Hot water did not work properly for showers, only for the tap. Little noise suppression meant I heard every call coming in to the reception, 24/7, unless I turned on the loud fan.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank MrSplashyFancyPants

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Maihar
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel to see my relative who is admitted in the hospital, this is very near to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital. Hotel is advised one of my friend. Hotel is good, neat & clean and location is excellent just near the metro station. Bathroom should be spacious, and more clean.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank GoluMaihar
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Great location, friendly service. The room and bathroom were clean and well appointed, the flat screen tv had a number of English channels. They never tried to sell us any tour or package.
They even managed to book us an ambassador to take us to the airport!
My only complaint is that you can hear the hallway from the room we were in, however we called reception about a noisy room and they responded immediately.
I would recommend this hotel (and the Karol Bagh area) as a good stepping off point to start a trip through India.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lamemusic
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I stayed here for one night n I can say that I was satisfied with the overall performance. I like the room n the fragrance of the room freshner, a/c was working gud n wat I like most is the compact refrigerator in my room coz it kept my beers chilled... Cheers!!! One thing I wnt to mention for young couples is- the bathroom is small n u cannot make luv in d bathroom wid ur gal, bt d mattresses r gud n u will luv doin everythng on dem. The thng I like the most is d discount I get which everybody doesn't get. So come n enjoy. A.D.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Ameeee
Manc' in London
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Stayed here for a total of three nights and didn't really have much say on where I stayed as it was booked as part of a package. I couldn't agree more with the second to last reviewer especially with regard to the moth balls
The bathroom suite was black and the bath itself was peeling and a bit of a safety hazard. The toilet had one of those "sanitized for you convenience" labels on it which was a joke as it was not clean. The shower curtain was filthy. The rest of the room was adequate but I didn't feel it was all that clean.
Breakfast was OK.
With regards to the new wing mentioned by the previous reviewer, I don't think this is being marketed as part of the Mehar as it looks from the photos in a completely different league.
I would chose not to stay here in the future.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
adelaide
Reviewed November 17, 2009

I was fortunate to be the very first customer of a new hotel wing associated with the Mehar Castle Hotel (same owner and overlapping management), just starting to operate as the JP Bed & Breakfast Hotel in mid-Nov 09 (web page yet to come). The location is just adjacent to the Mehar Castle, on a side street near Ghaffar Market of Amjal Khan Road, in Karol Bagh. I can only recommend this hotel, which is all new, with relatively generous, classy, ensuite rooms, tiled flooring and modern style furniture with latest appliances (a/c, TV, ceiling fan, fridge, safety lockers, etc…), neat bathrooms etc. It also features a small dining room for customer use and is a very quiet hotel away from street noise. I would rate the room comfort as 3.5-4 stars, with reasonable cost (Rs2,500-3,500 range inc. pick-up and breakfast). The down sides? No power point by the desk (eg. for computer), no outside windows (the price of a quiet room…) and small lobby space. Room decoration was also yet to come. The new hotel staff have been very helpful and efficient, being proud of inaugurating their small new 5 room hotel wing - the food: so far, so very good. So thumbs up from me !

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business