“Overrated, but still good”
Review of Dum Pukht

Dum Pukht
Ranked #9 of 12,608 Restaurants in New Delhi
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
New York City, New York, USA
“Overrated, but still good”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Ranked 17th best restaurant in Asia, and #1 in India, I decided on a whim to go to Dum Pukht. Like all high-end restaurants in Delhi it seems, they don’t open till 7. With no reservation on a Saturday night, I luckily found a table. When you entering Dum Pukht, located in one of the nicest hotels in Delhi, the ITC Maurya, you get the feeling you will remember this experience. The room has an old world feel with its many chandeliers and Mughal architecture and the tables perfectly set with silver plates and tastefully blue chaletsgiving Dum Pukht near picturesque ambience. To match this is the service, where from the time you sit down to when you get up to leave, you feels like the whole staff at the restaurant is ready to serve your every need and knows your name before you leave (they do ask when you sit down). Dining alone, I had the opportunity to ask more questions than usual and the knowledgeable staff was more than happy to explain. Before I get to the food, I must comment that the drink list, like many places in India, was disappointing and they were out of 2 of the 10 beers they listed. Now I must get to the food. First you start with what may be the best masala (over raw red onions) and sweet green papaya chutney that I have ever had. I wish they sold these in jars to take home. I went with the tasting menu and I was a little let down. The lamb kababs do melt in your mouth (an incredible sensation) as advertised and came with a delectable mint chutney which servers to hide the fact the lamb was weak on flavor. The dal grew on me while the other sides, like veggies, and naan were completely ordinary. If I got them anywhere else, there wouldn’t be a thought wasted on them. The lamb biryani served in a Dum Pukht was underwhelming. Maybe I just don’t know biryani, or maybe it’s not my thing, but the lamb (although cooked perfectly) and rice lacked flavor. You get a yogurt mix in to help fix this fatal flaw, but I was under the impression the biryani should stand on its own merits. Finally, we get to dessert, which was mind blowingly good. By far the best dessert I have had in India. The Zauk-E-Shahi (Khoya dumplings in saffron flavored reduced milk) and Gulab Ki Kheer (rice with milk, rose petals, pastichio and silver leaf) were perfectly creamy, not overly sweet, and something I think I will now only dream of when it comes to Indian desserts. Overall, I walked out (with everyone saying by Marc) feeling a little let down. Maybe I don’t understand Indian food, or maybe I had too high of an expectation. Given the price, ambiance, service, and some of the food (masala, sweet chutney, dessert) though, I would come back here in a heartbeat. Had I paid NY prices for this, I can see why a local may not be so quick to.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Marc U
AnilCGMITCMaurya, General Manager at Dum Pukht, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your experience at Dum Pukht. Here, we strive to offer an unforgettable experience through the authentic cuisine from the royal kitchens of Awadh along with a grand ambiance.
We have taken your feedback regarding the food into account - we will definitely look into the same and see how we can try to improve.

Thank you once again and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Brilliant As Always”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is food to die for. The ambience of the restaurant is great. It is a bit quiet, and that is good if you want a good conversation. Wonderful food that just melts in your mouth.

Visited October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such wonderful feedback and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience at Dum Pukht. Here, we strive to offer an unforgettable experience through the authentic cuisine from the royal kitchens of Awadh along with a grand ambiance.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Amazing Hospitality to go with Delicious Dining !!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My experience at Dum Pukht has always been simply outstanding. An unbelievably high level of consistency in every dish to a personalized yet professional touch of hospitality is what makes this restaurant classy and a stand out amongst all restaurants in India. Special thanks to Mr. Arun Jain and his team for a wonderful evening yet again. Will be back soon!!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank SmartConnoisseur
AnilCGMITCMaurya, General Manager at Dum Pukht, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback for Dum Pukht. We have shared your comments with our team and they are most delighted to hear the same. At Dum Pukht, we strive to offer an unforgettable experience through authentic cuisine from the royal kitchens of Awadh along with a grand ambiance.

Paris, France
“very nice diner”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

very nice dinnig room good indian food , classical , good service, interesting wine list , elegant table ware

Visited April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your appreciative comments for Dum Pukht. Here, we strive to offer an unforgettable experience through authentic cuisine from the royal kitchens of Awadh along with a grand ambiance.

New Delhi, India
“Best, in a class of its own”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food is too good along with a class ambiance and service. The best tasty food anyone can get in Class hotel. The total experience is wonderful.

• Visited September 2012
AnilCGMITCMaurya, General Manager at Dum Pukht, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments and I am glad to know you enjoyed your dining experience at Dum Pukht. Here, we strive to offer an unforgettable experience through authentic cuisine from the royal kitchens of Awadh along with a grand ambiance.