“Authentic Bengali food experience”
Review of Oh! Calcutta

Oh! Calcutta
Ranked #46 of 12,817 Restaurants in New Delhi
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greater Kailash I
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Great food with personalized and warm services makes you enjoy your visit even more. Their concept of buffet lunch is a value proposition and may be that is reason that we find it being frequented by many. For us, whenever we feel like having a leisured meal this is the place.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Bengalis are probably the most homesick of all communities. And when they are travelling out of their beloved west Bengal, they always find a small joint which serves homegrown Bengali food. (I found one in Kanya Kumari). But that's the problem. It is always small. And it is always dirty and unorganised. So it is quite surprising that before Oh Calcutta, there wasn't a proper restaurant with Bengali cuisine.

Anyway, to keep matters short, the food is superb. The shorshe ilish and the bhaapa ilish are the standout dishes. (I even liked the cholaar daal.) The portions are adequate. And the service is prompt and efficient.

I did feel the prices were a bit steep though. (But that's the Bengali in me speaking.)

1  Thank Anindya_Banerjee
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Sorshe ilish, the mutton and the sweet aroma of Bengali cooking. Down to earth prices and excellent service and above all heavenly dishes summarizes my experience here. I have been to quite a few restaurants in Delhi but this is the best of the best. Amazing. May be they should revisit the drinks card and re vamp it but since it is a family restaurant so that is not very critical considering Indian culture.

1  Thank Foodie460
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I visited this place last year, really was new to Delhi, got married recently and being the home sick bong I am, always crave for the usual Bengali delicacies I miss out in my normal diet(read : loads of fish curries) now as my husband is a vegetarian. So with yummy dreams of illish and rui went to Oh Calcutta, what I met with was a rude shock. Considering there was such a huge crowd and in waiting too.

Not so because of service (that is neither too good, nor bad), but because they treat themselves as fine dining, keep their menu prices at the higher end but miserably fail to provide the taste or the quality. I mean really how difficult could it be to ruin illish(for the un-initiated,its the indian salmon or something better maybe) , not only as the curry runny & watery but also there was no taste in the fish. Simple dishes like aloo posto had no taste too(btw, who puts haldi & jeera in posto, oh my god!).

The only saving grace was the malpua & gur kheer(payesh) at the end because it was passable not because was anything heavenly which it should be for the price we were paying. In a word, i could only sum it up as I ate a lunch there, was very depressed, came back home, husband made some yummy maggi(much better than the lunch) and then i felt any better with my broken heart.

With every city including bangalore providing more & more yummiest bengali dishes, its a shame that Delhi(the so-called food capital) has failed to provide the same.

TIP(not that you guys may think you want it) : Please ask the cook to learn some cooking(maybe with love), maybe hire his mum who might be better at this stuff ? People really don't mind shelling the money, they mind not getting what they paid for. You might hype & bring the crowd who hasn't tasted too much good bengali food, but for the real purists it fails to deliver.

1  Thank Manashi_G
Reviewed March 11, 2014

One of the best fried fish i have eaten in delhi. Very differently cooked. Loved the preparation. A Must have.

I also ordered a jumbo prawn alongside, though jumbo in size, looked beautiful but lacked the taste and tenderness you get in your medium sized prawns.

They also serve variety of signature seafood dishes like steamed fish etc. But that's for another day. Will surely visit next time but will skip on the prawns and eye that tempting fish-line in the menu.

1  Thank GD87