“Please DO NOT stay here! Unless you like being ripped off.”

Hotel Blue Sapphire
Ranked #713 of 1,076 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Please DO NOT stay here! Unless you like being ripped off.”
Reviewed October 30, 2007

We needed a reasonably priced place to stay because our midnight flight was overbooked. We paid a pre-paid taxi to take us to an area near the airport that had reasonable hotels. As soon as we got down the road, the taxi driver told us there were NO reasonable hotels in that area and we’d be paying more than $200 a night for the hotels in the area and we’d have to pay for TWO nights due to the fact we were checking in so late and needing to stay after noon checkout time. He told us he knows a place ten minutes further that will charge about $50 a night and is a good area. He assured me they’d have a/c. He said we’d have to pay an additional 150 rupees to take us there but we’d save so much more by staying there that it would be a great deal. We were tired and broke (at the end of our trip) so we decided to save $200 by letting him take us to this different area. At that time he made a phone call to some hotel and confirmed a room was available. At this time, I had wondered if he had some arrangement with this particular hotel. I found out later, he did. We drove and drove and drove, over an hour and I had told him we didn’t want to stay this far from the airport. He kept saying we are almost there…we ended up at the Blue Sapphire Hotel in Karol Bagh, not anywhere near the airport! I was a bit upset by then but decided we were tired and this was a place to sleep and have a nice shower and a/c. When we got inside the Blue Sapphire, the manager only had rooms available for $70 a night and made us PREPAY for two days. When we got upstairs we called downstairs to ask for a receipt but he said he’d send it up later and put it under the door. The AC was loud and didn’t seem to work well. In the morning we noticed the hot water “geyser” had been broken for YEARS (not a new problem!) and so we had no hot/warm water to bath with and the water pressure in the tub was a dribble. We called down to the front desk and told them the AC didn’t work, the geyser was long ago broken and the water pressure was nonexistent AND we still didn’t get our receipt. They wanted to put us in a different room. But we decided we wanted to check out and get a place that would give us what we paid for. I put the call through the front desk to another hotel, it is the only way to dial outside, you have to have the front desk make the call for you then ring you back…when the call came back, it was the Blue Sapphire manager acting like he was the other hotel I wanted to call. He told me that there are no rooms available in Delhi due to the festival season. Then I recognized the voice of the manager at the Blue Sapphire AND I heard the same background noises coming from over the phone that I was hearing out my own window. I confronted him and told him I knew he was the front desk manager at the Blue Sapphire. I asked him which hotel had I dialed he said “I don’t know” and he hung the phone up. By this time we really wanted a shower and were miserable. We still couldn’t get a receipt, even when we continued to ask for one. We knew that if we checked out, we wouldn’t get our money back PLUS he could tell us we hadn’t paid yet because we didn’t have a receipt to prove we did pay! We ended up letting them give us a second room so we could at least have a shower. We purposely arranged an outside taxi service NOT associated with Blue Sapphire to take us to the airport. We didn’t want to give them one more dollar! The taxi guy was early and we loaded the car and off we went, only to find out that the Blue Sapphire loaded us in THEIR car not the one we hired, so they could get the income from our ride to the airport. I wanted to be sure everyone knows their scheming ways. Please do not stay at the Blue Sapphire unless you enjoy getting the wool pulled over your eyes and the frustration of being taken advantage of! Later I learned there ARE more reasonable hotels near the airport, you don’t need to drive over an hour to pay MORE and be deceived.

• Liked — I don't remember anything pleasant about it
  • Disliked — scheming ways and deception
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeeAndKay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ireland
Reviewed October 30, 2007

I do not recommend this place - it is not a hotel, it is a house. It doesn't even have a plate name or a house number. The taxi from the airport drove for over an hour and a half before we eventually found it. Initially the owner came across as being v nice and as I'm a female travelling alone I felt safe, on the first night, he took me to another hotel as he didn't have room, when i came back he showed me to my room in the basement , the bed sheets were minging, and the bed smelt so much I slept with a facecloth over my face! The following day I discovered by accident my room key opened another room in the basement. He organises car driver tours. I booked a five day tour to Jodphur and surroundings areas and cost me $600. The driver took me to Jaissalmer on the second day. On the third day the (house/hotel) Owner rang me to say I had to pay an extra $100 as the driver shouldn't have gone to Jaissalmer, I refused to pay it saying I'd booked a car and driver for 5 days, so then he ordered his driver back to Delhi, leaving me on my own in Jodphur! He charged me 1500 rupees ($40) for a night, when I came back to Delhi I booked a hotel in the Main Bazzar for 200 ($5) and the standard was better. Book Car/Drivers from the tourist office - much better deals. Inida is fantastic but staying here got my trip off to a very bad start.

• Liked — nothing although it did have free internet
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Molly26

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

New Delhi
Reviewed October 14, 2007

This Hotel was part of a very ellaborate rip off scheme. We arrived at the Airport and took a pre-paid taxi to our Hotel, the taxi driver stopped for directions at a seedy information centre and they made a call to what was supposed to be our Hotel, the person I spoke to on the phone assured me that no reservation was made. At midnight we were tired and wanted a bed, so we agreed to go to the Blue Sapphire Hotel. At an incredibly expensive price of $1500 rupees, we got a grotty little room, we knew we were scammed and the hotel manager played along with his rip off merchant friends, it was disgusting their treatment of us.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Major Rip off Scam
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travellinmack
Krems an der Donau, Austria
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Never seen such terrible Hotel for such a price (nearly 2000 Rupies). AC so loud, we couldn't hear our own words. Only cold water, no windows. Bed dirty. Stuff sleeps in the restaurant, therefore breakfast delayed!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — All
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends