“Good food but noisy hotel”
Review of Shanti Home

Shanti Home
Ranked #5 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
North Yorkshire
“Good food but noisy hotel”
Reviewed February 18, 2010

Stayed 2 nights here at beginning of trip to India. As traffic in Delhi is very busy it took over an hour to get in to see the sights. The area surrounding the hotel is very noisy. We stayed in Stupa room which is next to the guard and talking all night made sleep very difficult. The second night there was a festival on at a nearby temple which went on throughout the night and was still very loud when we left the hotel at 5.00 a.m. At midnight we had to ask to move to another room which was slightly less noisy.

On the plus side the food was excellent and the roof top restaurant is very attractive.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bavaria, Germany
Reviewed February 18, 2010

Starting with the good things: the hotel and its rooms are clean and the food on the roof terrace is really fantastic and really good value for money.
Unfortunately the hotel is quite far away from the city center and we felt a bit locked up in the hotel especially at night given that there really isnt anywhere to go. We didnt think that the surrounding areas looked particularly welcoming or safe, hence once we reached the hotel we stayed there for the evening as well. As I highlighted before, the food is really good (and relatively cheap) and one can definitly enjoy an evening on the roof terrace. It took us about 45 mins to 1h to drive into the center of Delhi by car, this is maybe something to take into consideration when planning a stay....
Also, we stayed on a Saturday night and right opposite on the main street seem to be some loudspeakers and the whole neighborhood is being exposed to really loud music and chanting which can be annoying after some time... and when trying to sleep.
Overall and given its location in more or less a suburb of Delhi I thought that the hotel was on the expensive side.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Shropshire
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Read all the reviews you like about Shanti Home, no one seems to have anything negative to say about the place. You can see that I have scored this as very good, and indeed it is but I thought I might tell you about the stuff that stuck in my mind and not for necessarily good reasons.
This was my first time in Delhi and I was there on business so part of what attracted me to the hotel was the free wi-fi. I couldn't get it to work for the first 3 days, which was a pain. That turned out to be a Delhi thing rather than a hotel thing, although everyone was keen to try to help. There are two hotel computers, which can be used by guests though, so that did help some of the time.
There are no TVs or radios in the room. There is a TV lounge but as a single traveller, that was a bit of a downer.
I had to move rooms half way through my stay to accomodate new guests needing a double rather than two single beds. Now I didn't really mind that, but it was clear that management knew I would have to do this when I booked and it would have been more honest if I had been told up front.
The showers....well all of the nice equipment is there, multple shower heads, rain showers etc but what you have to take care of, is that the water heaters(in both rooms I stayed in, so this isn't a one room issue) have a limited hot water storage. I am not exactly small but I learned after the first morning to get wet, switch off the hot water, soap up and then turn the water back on to rinse off. There are signs up in the bathrooms to say you should wait 10 minutes between showers "for environmental reasons". In this case the environment is the bathroom not your carbon footprint! This would be a pain if there were two of you in the room I'm sure.
The only other issue for me was the cost of taxi's organised for me. This was a principle thing rather than a cost issue. There are plenty of metered cabs around, and having been there for a few days, it was obvious that someone was making a healthy margin on the service of ordering them. I didn't mind paying an extra couple of hundred rupees but frankly I thought it was a bit unecessary.
If you want somewhere in Delhi that is clean, safe, has VERY helpful and friendly staff and you want to get a taste of real Indian hospitality, Shanti Home is probably the place for you. If you are expecting a 4* star hotel, go stay at one of the International group hotels like Hilton or Crown Plaza where you could really be anywhere in the world.
In a nutshell...this is more like a 4* guest house than a 4* hotel and that is a compliment, not a complaint. When I go back to Delhi, I fully expect to be staying there again, and a bigger recommendation than that I cannot give.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Bobbybear69
Florida
Reviewed February 5, 2010

Well maintained and staff that really wants to help you have a great time. The owners are onsite and take the time to introduce themselves and seek feedback.

The food was very good and perhaps the best that I had on my trip in India.

My only negative feedback is that the bottle water they provided was not sealed and some days the bottles that they provided were half filled bottles. I am always very concerned about the water that I consume when traveling and felt that bottled water should be sealed and not reused bottles with filter water added.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Glasgow
Reviewed January 31, 2010

As many have said before us this is a lovely place to stay. The staff are extremely polite and helpful in sorting out all the annoying trivia that can arise on a trip to Delhi. The rooms are clean and well appointed and there are lovely areas to relax on each of the floors. The restaurant is very good and modestly priced and again the staff bend over backward to accomodate preferences. If there are drawbacks it is the noisy market opposite the front rooms, but the noise stops at night, and the distance from the centre of Delhi, though the new metro gets you there easily in 40 minutes. I suppose as well it is a little pricey - but you get what you pay for and the security of such a nice place to stay makes it well worth while.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed January 27, 2010

What a relief to come to such a welcoming hotel in hot, stinky, smelly Delhi! I couldn't say enough about this wonderful family who would go out of their way to help you. An example of this is when we wanted to go shopping and they gave us a mobile phone in case we got lost! They also walked us to a hairdresser so that my husband could get a haircut, this wouldn't happen in a 5 star! The food was amazing on the roof top terrace and the rooms were extremely clean with great themes. We stayed here twice, when we first arrived in India and then on our way back, and each time was fantastic. They also offer free internet and books from their library. If I could improve this hotel I would add a pool! What an amazing family and a wonderful welcome to India!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
bergen
Reviewed January 27, 2010

After travelling Nepal and golden triangle, we ended our trip in Delhi. Shanti Home was
the right place to relax a few days. We felt the warm atmosphere.The charming roof restaurant( a bit cold.weather was bad) food was fantastic, service perfect. The people working in the hotel were so smiling and charming.
5 friends from Norway: