“This is not a 4* Hotel!”
Review of Shanti Home

Shanti Home
Ranked #4 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Shropshire
“This is not a 4* Hotel!”
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Read all the reviews you like about Shanti Home, no one seems to have anything negative to say about the place. You can see that I have scored this as very good, and indeed it is but I thought I might tell you about the stuff that stuck in my mind and not for necessarily good reasons.
This was my first time in Delhi and I was there on business so part of what attracted me to the hotel was the free wi-fi. I couldn't get it to work for the first 3 days, which was a pain. That turned out to be a Delhi thing rather than a hotel thing, although everyone was keen to try to help. There are two hotel computers, which can be used by guests though, so that did help some of the time.
There are no TVs or radios in the room. There is a TV lounge but as a single traveller, that was a bit of a downer.
I had to move rooms half way through my stay to accomodate new guests needing a double rather than two single beds. Now I didn't really mind that, but it was clear that management knew I would have to do this when I booked and it would have been more honest if I had been told up front.
The showers....well all of the nice equipment is there, multple shower heads, rain showers etc but what you have to take care of, is that the water heaters(in both rooms I stayed in, so this isn't a one room issue) have a limited hot water storage. I am not exactly small but I learned after the first morning to get wet, switch off the hot water, soap up and then turn the water back on to rinse off. There are signs up in the bathrooms to say you should wait 10 minutes between showers "for environmental reasons". In this case the environment is the bathroom not your carbon footprint! This would be a pain if there were two of you in the room I'm sure.
The only other issue for me was the cost of taxi's organised for me. This was a principle thing rather than a cost issue. There are plenty of metered cabs around, and having been there for a few days, it was obvious that someone was making a healthy margin on the service of ordering them. I didn't mind paying an extra couple of hundred rupees but frankly I thought it was a bit unecessary.
If you want somewhere in Delhi that is clean, safe, has VERY helpful and friendly staff and you want to get a taste of real Indian hospitality, Shanti Home is probably the place for you. If you are expecting a 4* star hotel, go stay at one of the International group hotels like Hilton or Crown Plaza where you could really be anywhere in the world.
In a nutshell...this is more like a 4* guest house than a 4* hotel and that is a compliment, not a complaint. When I go back to Delhi, I fully expect to be staying there again, and a bigger recommendation than that I cannot give.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Bobbybear69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florida
Reviewed February 5, 2010

Well maintained and staff that really wants to help you have a great time. The owners are onsite and take the time to introduce themselves and seek feedback.

The food was very good and perhaps the best that I had on my trip in India.

My only negative feedback is that the bottle water they provided was not sealed and some days the bottles that they provided were half filled bottles. I am always very concerned about the water that I consume when traveling and felt that bottled water should be sealed and not reused bottles with filter water added.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Glasgow
Reviewed January 31, 2010

As many have said before us this is a lovely place to stay. The staff are extremely polite and helpful in sorting out all the annoying trivia that can arise on a trip to Delhi. The rooms are clean and well appointed and there are lovely areas to relax on each of the floors. The restaurant is very good and modestly priced and again the staff bend over backward to accomodate preferences. If there are drawbacks it is the noisy market opposite the front rooms, but the noise stops at night, and the distance from the centre of Delhi, though the new metro gets you there easily in 40 minutes. I suppose as well it is a little pricey - but you get what you pay for and the security of such a nice place to stay makes it well worth while.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed January 27, 2010

What a relief to come to such a welcoming hotel in hot, stinky, smelly Delhi! I couldn't say enough about this wonderful family who would go out of their way to help you. An example of this is when we wanted to go shopping and they gave us a mobile phone in case we got lost! They also walked us to a hairdresser so that my husband could get a haircut, this wouldn't happen in a 5 star! The food was amazing on the roof top terrace and the rooms were extremely clean with great themes. We stayed here twice, when we first arrived in India and then on our way back, and each time was fantastic. They also offer free internet and books from their library. If I could improve this hotel I would add a pool! What an amazing family and a wonderful welcome to India!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
bergen
Reviewed January 27, 2010

After travelling Nepal and golden triangle, we ended our trip in Delhi. Shanti Home was
the right place to relax a few days. We felt the warm atmosphere.The charming roof restaurant( a bit cold.weather was bad) food was fantastic, service perfect. The people working in the hotel were so smiling and charming.
5 friends from Norway:
We loved Santi Home.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Prestatyn
Reviewed January 25, 2010

The Shanti Home was a wonderful surprise - we did not expect such a lovely experience in this location. The rooms were spacious, airy and beautifully decorated. The staff could not do enough for us - they were most helpful and genuinely friendly. We liked the idea of any tips being placed in 'ducks' located at reception and in the restaurant, to be shared amongst the staff. The restaurant was excellent in terms of the food and value for money - it was also in a beautiful open-air rooftop setting .... a redundant tandoor oven kept us warm on the chilly foggy evenings! We were touring the Delhi suburbs as we were attending a wedding, but returned to Delhi for the last couple of nights, where we stayed in a 5* hotel at Connaught Place. We can honestly say that we by far preferred the Shanti Home, and now wish that we had returned there instead. The only possible drawback would be the location, although it is only a 5 minute walk to the metro station (Uttam Nagar East), and we went by metro to Connaught Place in 25 mins without any trouble (the Shanti Home even provided an escort to the station). We would highly recommend this hotel for kind of traveller, and hope to return ourselves at some point.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Beautiful property that has lovely ambience created by combining traditional furnishings with modern conveniences. Convenient for transfer to airport but not close to Connaught Place or other shopping areas. Front desk were helpful in organizing a driver to take us to Khan market where we found some goods at FabIndia, had a nice coffee and cake at Green Turtle cafe but found there was not the variety of shopping we had expected. There were no other markets/shopping areas availlable to go to. Lovely food in the restaurant on the rooftop. The rooftop restaurant had a tandoori oven and offered a great breakfast and select but tasty menu. It was quite cool but with the bamboo curtains and gas heater it was more than comfortable to be up there for meals. Beds & pillows were very comfy. Rooms were large and spotlessly clean. Other reviewers commented on no TV in rooms – personally I prefer this. Why go to a beautiful place like this and watch TV in your room? Toiletries provided were lovely. Complimentary water and biscuits in the room and personalised letter welcoming us was a nice touch. The entertainment room, internet access an library were a welcome relief from the sights sounds and smells of Delhi. The staff were very nice and efficient. A great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple