“Fantastic Rooms and Service”
Review of Shanti Home

Shanti Home
Ranked #5 of 721 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed January 19, 2009

The hotel reservations responded immediately when I sent an email asking for a reservation. They were very accommodating of my shifting schedule. They arranged train and flight transfers for me and went the extra mile. They also sent a staff person with me to the subway to show me how to use it the first time.

Rooftop garden is very pleasant and an ideal place to enjoy a beer on a hot day.

Rooms are clean and nicely decorated.

It is a great place and I'll stay here again when I come to Delhi.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank chester1

Reviewed January 18, 2009

Beautifully decorated boutique hotel with excellent roof-top restaurant (relatively inexpensive too). Small team of very attentive staff - overall ambiance very friendly.

Two minor downsides: Not very central (40 minutes drive from Connaught Place or 30 minutes by metro), and our room was slightly noisy on the first night (being right next to reception).

Overall, a great little hotel which feels much more personal than the typical Delhi international hotels.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank Footloose01
Reviewed January 17, 2009

I agree with the good points mentioned in other reviews. At first we wondered what we'd gotten into--it's basically a house in a residential area on the western side of Delhi, but the staff here makes all the difference. They are professional, warm, friendly and eager to please their guests. Anything can be arranged for sightseeing. This is a great place to stay for its proximity to the international airport. It can take 20 minutes to reach it with no traffic. The restaurant is excellent, which is good because there isn't anything else around, and after a day of sightseeing you won't want to venture out again at night. The chef trained in one of the top hotels in India. One thing that should be mentioned; be sure to ask the price of the chef's nightly seafood specials or you might be surprised. They were twice the price of anything on the menu. Our room was comfortable, but you do get noise from the hallways and above. The TV room has lots of Indian DVDs.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janehudson
Reviewed January 16, 2009

Very nice hotel recently open with high standards. The rooms are extremely clean, spacious and well furnished (the suite is gorgeous). They give us a warm and helpful reception. The location is somewhat far from downtown, but the near metro station offers a confortable and fast link. Higly recomended, it is definetely worth its price

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank allister_fan
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I needed to stay one night in Delhi since my international flight was arriving in the afternoon and I had a domestic flight scheduled for the next morning. I needed something cheap and, owing to the low price, I was not expecting that much from Shanti Home. Therefore, the hotel has been a pleasant surprise. I had also found a few negative tips from this hotel on the web (internet connection, airport shuttle...) but I they didn't harm in my case. Actually, I suspect that the hotel management is reading them and they are making all the best to improve. In fact, the pickup from the airport worked perfectly, despite my flight was 3 hours late. Also the wi-fi connection was more than decent, at least in my room. The room itself was nicely furnished, the breakfast excellent and the personnel very professional. In addition one can enjoy all the warmth and attentions of a family-managed accomodation, without all the impersonal of chain hotels. One is also very close to a station of the Delhi Metro, the only public transportation in town that can be safely used by a Western traveller. Of course, there were some minor issues: the neighborhood is not so attractive and may become pretty noisy (even for the standards of a city like Delhi); no TV in the room (I am not a TV watcher so I didn't pay too much attention to this detail) and there were people smoking in common areas (something more serious for me - a strong supporter of no-smoking policies!). Nevertheless, considering that the price was lower than 6,000 INR (~120 US$) per night all included, I can't imagine a better value for an accommodation in Delhi, where good hotels are not so frequent and it is not so uncommon to pay much more for much less.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Crazynanny
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Shanti Home is a great hotel. I had just finished a business trip, having stayed at two five star hotels in two other cities in India, and selected Shanti Home, based on the TripAdvisor reviews, to spend a few vacation days in New Delhi. First trip to India.

Compared to the five star hotels I had been in, this is a welcome relief from the size and scale of the large hotels. You get five star service but it's more like a family inn rather than a huge hotel. OK, so there may not be a shelf full of glassware, a stocked refrigerator, TV, and other little useless doodads. Those things may be important for some types of hotel stays, but they really don't matter much to me. The hotel has most of them anyway for the asking, they're just not in each room. Don't get me wrong, the five star hotels are nice, especially for business travel, but at Shanti Home, it's a completely different, yet positive, experience. It's a four or five story building with just two to five rooms, more or less, on each floor.

First of all, this is a brand new building- but, unlike "big box" new hotels, this has very carefully thought out architecture, furnishings, and decor which gives you the sense that you are in India---sort of like what a five star, colonial styled historical large inn would be in the U.S. --but with up to date bathrooms and infrastructure. The rooms are scupulously clean, very comfortable, with plenty of room. No "cookie cutter" type of furnishings--these look more like what you'd find in a B&B bedroom rather than a typical hotel room.

The staff is very helpful and friendly. They work as a team round the clock to ensure your questions are answered, and anything you need is handled. The owners made a point to meet every guest , on multiple occasions, at dinner on the rooftop restaurant. They put a lot of thought into designing this hotel to achieve a certain look.

Regarding the rooftop restaurant, where most guests had breakfast and dinner, had great food, great atmosphere--sort of what I had experienced at La Meridian at another Indian city, but on a smaller scale. I especially enjoyed the fact I could have a standard "eggs, toast, and coffee" breakfast instead of traditional Indian fare. They definitely keep the Western tourist's interests in mind. The tandoori meals and other dinners were outstanding for dinner. The chef and wait staff are very attentive and service is comparable to any top restaurant in the U.S.

I spent some time in the lounge using the desk to do some catch-up work on my laptop, which was easy with the wireless internet service. On another floor, there's a TV room with a large flat screen TV where a few people might gather to watch a movie or TV.
I was also impressed by the security. There's a large, solid gated door with a guard 24/7 the propery perimeter. So, you get the sense as soon as you walk in that you're in good hands.

The receptionist gives you a nice little map which helps the first time you venture out to walk to the train. The neighborhood is full of family residences and is just a few blocks from the train station. From there you can go anywhere in New Delhi with no trouble at all. Great location. I was very impressed with the train service--ultramodern, clean, easy to follow the stops etc.

The most ironic thing about Shanti is the price. I was a little suspicious before I decided to come here under the "you get what you pay for" axiom. But, based on the reviews, I took a chance and came here. No regrets-definitely the right choice. My conclusion--this is a steal at this price for the quality and delivery of room, restaurant, service, and location.
Overall, if I were to return to New Delhi with my wife for another vacation, this is where I would definitely go, no question.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank mer11
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I stayed at Shanti Home twice during a recent trip to India while transiting through Delhi. On both visits I was extremely satisfied with all aspects of my stay and felt that I had received excellent value for money. The rooms are a good size and spotlessly clean - but it's the service were Shanti Home truely excels . On the first visit I arrived in the wee hours of the morning and enjoyed a super-quick and friendly check-in. As I slept in, the cook was only too happy to accomodate a very late breakfast, way beyond the normal breakfast hours and at no extra cost. As it was Christmas Day the owners hosted an evening Christmas Party for all guests on the lovely roof top terrace, and even got a charming elder gentleman to play the guitare and softly singing Xmas carols. Very thoughtful, and everybody also received a goodie bag gift with some Ayurveda body and face products! On my second visit I booked a three-day, two-night package that included a transfer, a day sightseeing in Delhi and a day trip to Agra. My train arrived 4 hours late and still the driver was there as agreed to meet me and I received complimentary early morning check-in that allowed me to freshen up before my day's sightseeing in Delhi and made a huge difference to the day. Leaving for Agra the next day made a very early start neccesary. I got a wake-up call at 4.00 am and a piping hot breakfast served at 4.45 am on the dot by a most friendly member of the staff - just as I had arranged the night before. I was amazed that they could serve a great breakfast at this unusual hour, and even more pleased that no extra charge was levied for the room service. Coming back late but hungry from Agra, the chef rustled up an amazing dinner after we discussed what I particulately liked - none of the items were on the menue and the meal was utterly delicious and was some of the best Indian food I had on my entire trip. I also had two massages at the in-house spa - both excellent and amazing value. When I mentioned to the owner how I had felt quite cold the first time round, they immediately put an electric fan heater into the massage room. It's this responsiveness to guests suggestions, the "can-do" attitude, and service centered around the guest that makes Shanti home so special. I shall be back!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo