“Lovely friendly hotel -- our favorite in Delhi”
Review of Shanti Home

Shanti Home
Ranked #5 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
San Francisco, California
“Lovely friendly hotel -- our favorite in Delhi”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here in August 2013 for a total of five nights and two room over two weeks. This has become our favorite hotel in Delhi. The hotel is lovely, charming, with a home and family feel to it. Beautifully decorated. Top comfort and amenities. Great food at the terrace restaurant. Attentive service at all levels. We could not have asked for more. We will be back. Thank you for making our stay so special! In particular, big thanks to Pooja at the front desk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank stagapit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
camarillo
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This review is belated.....but this was a lovely place to stay and I have meant to write about it and am doing so now, even though our stay was in March of 2010.

For those looking to enjoy a true Indian experience, rather than an "American-abroad-stay -in-a Hilton"-experience, Shanti Home is a great choice. The rooms are air-conditioned, clean and comfortable. The owner/manager and staff could not be more accomodating. We used Shanti home as our base for 21 days while we took 5 out of town trips. We left our large luggage there, which they stored for us for 3 days at a time, took us either to the airport or train station, and on our return set us up again in rooms and brought our luggage and clean laundry to us. We were greeted at the end of many short hop trips by the driver from Shanti home, who was always!! there to greet us. On our arrival each time, the staff surrounded us, asked about our trip, grabbed our luggage and escorted our tired bodies to the office where we were invariably given ice cold juice while we waited to be taken to our rooms. The people were absolutely lovely to us. There is an open air rooftop garden restaurant that serves 3 meals a day...delicious in the moring....warm/hot at noontime and delicious at night for outdoor dining. Our son was our escort and speaks fluent Hindi and Urdu, so of course that made our stay unique and a total joy, as he could interact with everyone....but many many people of course speak English.
Do not expect this to be a cookie-cutter replica of the local Marriott, but do yourself a favor and stay in this inter-city.hotel...the surrounding area is the city teaming with the crowded conditions in India, but within the walls of Shanti Home you are treated like a visiting dignitary. For a comfortable Indian-experience hotel, I could not recommend this hotel any higher.
If you are reading this from Shanti home, thank you again, one and all , for your kindness to us........ from the parents of Dr. Jeffrey.
Anne Casey

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank noodledog
brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Arriving late in the evening from New York, we found Shanti Home to be a pleasant and comfortable stay with attentive service. The layout of the hotel is extremely vertical, with the reception below grade and the rooms on the small side. So you are constantly shuttling between floors via a smallish public corridor and a fairly efficient elevator. I would not recommend this hotel for an extended stay, as it is a bit overpriced considering the location, the somewhat cramped conditions and lack of amenities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hrd2pleez
Turin, Italy
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This boutique hotel is very nice, with a very good price according to Delhi standards. The staff is very kind, professional and helpful, there are different services available. We took a very good offer with Ayurvedic massages, airport pick-up, dinner and one-day Delhi tour with a driver.
Someone could find the location unconvinient, because the hltel is a bit far from the city center. We preferred staying here because of it's quietness and because it is located on the way to the airport. We went around Delhi by car but you can find a metro station close to the hotel.
If you like Indian cuisine you must try the cooking class, it's a funny and interesting experience.
We will definitively stay here when we will come back to Delhi.

Room Tip: Bollywood room is large, clean and comfortable. It is delicately furnished with details reminding of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daria L
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 12, 2013

It was warm and late when we arrived in Shanti Home. What a delight to get into our a/c room for a shower and fresh clothes! After that we got to the roof terrace and had a lovely meal, cooked on request. The huge fans were pointed our direction and made dinner to a feast. All in all a wonderful place with friendly staff. Gerdo &Wilma

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Altos Hills, California
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is my second review of Shanti Home because I returned to Delhi in May on my way to visit Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo in Himachal Pradesh. I stayed in a smaller simpler room this time which was also lovely and quiet. Shanti Home is an excellent place to recover from jet lag and actually "arrive" in India.

Pooja Rajpal manages and runs the reception and she is truly amazing. She makes sure that everything is perfect with such kindness and decorum.

But this was this icing on the cake: I could not get an Indian cell phone in time for my departure north so Shanti Home loaned me one of theirs for the month I traveled around India. Can you believe that? And then when I didn't have time to go back to the hotel to return it, they sent someone to Delhi International to meet me and pick it up.

I will never stay anywhere else in Delhi. Shanti Home has earned my loyalty and affection.
Dr. Nona Olivia

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Nona O
Rishikesh, India
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Shanti Boutique Home for 14 days from May 31st – June 14th 2013, which are the hottest months of the year. I had recently come out of an Ashram of 2.5 months, up in Rishikesh. I needed a place to transition into before heading to Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, Prague, London and then home to Canada.

I have been travelling to India for 13 years now, living here on/off for 6 years, I did feel a sense of protection and security when I was greeted at the airport by one of the personal drivers, only to be whisked off to the alluring oasis, in a world of people rushing here and there, going about their daily life’s. I knew I would be in for a treat upon arrival.

I have to say that I wasn’t overly impressed with the choice of vehicle’s that were provided by the hotel, I personally know that they could do a whole lot better as I hired my drivers that either had a Scorpio or a Range Rover and it would only be within a year old, that was my request whenever I enter into India. The reason for this was usually brand new vehicles don’t break down as much as older used vehicles, plus personal experience and comfort.

I was excited to be arriving to the hotel where I was greeted by the staff at the front entrance, where I had to go through a security scan and then be padded down. The security was a wonderful measure to make the guests feel safe. Then I meet the lineup of staff as they welcomed me into their home. I felt so honored.

I was immediately upgraded from the premium room into the luxury room by Miss Pooja who was my go to girl during a portion of my stay. I was able to see a few of the rooms and by comparison they were all amazing just size of bed and space were smaller. The cleanliness of the whole entire hotel really takes pride in the cleanliness in every single space. I can assure you that the owners take pride in their home because it reflects that not only the staff but how each one of them want to help you in any way that they can to make your stay most memorable.

I have lived and travelled to over 30 countries in the world and I always find myself in smaller Boutique style settings because they pay attention to the smallest of details. If you were to stay in a high end chain hotel they just don’t give you the do care and detail that you deserve or need, it feels more personal in the Boutique style environment.

I ordered usually the same thing every morning, and any time before noon they would deliver my breakfast by the server, along with the Chef by their side and ask me to make sure it was made correctly. I checked every day, and I am very specific about my eggs, how they are cooked, and what they look like. During my stay I have maybe 6 times where the eggs were not done exactly to my liking. The chef would redo them until they were perfect, he took pride in making sure that I was be satisfied 100%. There were no complaints and they only wanted to learn how to do things better. We sat down and I showed him a few things on internet and he was so eager to learn more. I love that they were all so willing to learn something and not be upset about not getting my eggs the way I wanted. It was perfect team work, willingness to learn something new, and eager to get learning it. The beauty in this was so heartfelt and I felt that they really cared about what I felt and what I was wanting.

The cleaning staff amazed me daily, the Boutique was so clean, you really cook eat off the floors (not that I would) but they cleaned night and day to ensure that the place not only smelled cleaned but you could not find an ounce of dirt anywhere, trust me I checked. Polishing lights, shining the wood, ornaments were handled with great respect and detail. AC was always running due to the high summer heat that you experience in India well into the high 40’s low 50’s. It was hard to go out and sight see, it was just so hot. The beds were changed every third day, and the bed was made perfectly. The upgrade to the Bollywood room was really amazing, the room was big enough to do my yoga in (even though they had a studio set aside for Yogi), I found that my room was large enough to do it here, because I practiced meditation for an hour prior to practicing my yogi. There was a spa on site but I did not part take in this but hear that they are very wonderful.

I never heard outside noises and the hotel was very peaceful and so quiet you could hear the church mice. Speaking of critters I am happy to say that I never in 14 days saw anything like that during my stay, I don’t think they like the cleanliness of it and decided to stay outside the walls.

I was asked daily if I wanted tea and biscuits which was always “yes”, and delivered fresh, if they didn’t have what I wanted they went out and got it. This is this service that I love especially when staying a great length of time.
Every single staff member handled my stay with grace, dignity, professionalism, care, and it was such an honour to be a part of this journey.

They offer so much here at the Shanti Home that I would have done more if it wasn’t so hot outside, you can learn how to cook Indian dishes with your own private chef on your own or within a group setting. The food here was exceptional every dish I ordered was so tasty, made fresh daily. Or if you’d like to have something not offered on the menu they would love to make it for you as well.

The ensuite was large with a soaker tub and shower, spacious enough with lots of closet space, a desk windows, and door to open during the day.

I think that the best thing about the home was there were no TV’s inside the suites; you would have to go to the “Pattachitra room” for that.

Included in your stay was free WiFi, which is always a bonus in my books, just as long as it works on a consistent basis, there were plenty of comfortable lounges to cozy up to a good book, take a nap, our lounge out. You had a gym that you could work out in which had everything that you needed, and opened 24/7, it was small but very good and clean.

One added touch was every other day they would design a God of worship outside on the marble path in full coulors by one of the creative staff members. It was so beautiful and they were so talented. It was always worth looking at.

I cannot thank the staff enough for allowing me to have the greatest experience before I departed this beautiful country. I will be back and until we meet again, “Om Shanti Shanti”!

Your humble Shanti

Chantel
XOXO

May you find love with those you meet, thank you all for a memories and look forward to the New Shanti Boutique in Mumbai!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo