“Beautiful place, amazing people”
Review of Shanti Home

Shanti Home
Ranked #5 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Los Altos Hills, California
“Beautiful place, amazing people”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is my second review of Shanti Home because I returned to Delhi in May on my way to visit Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo in Himachal Pradesh. I stayed in a smaller simpler room this time which was also lovely and quiet. Shanti Home is an excellent place to recover from jet lag and actually "arrive" in India.

Pooja Rajpal manages and runs the reception and she is truly amazing. She makes sure that everything is perfect with such kindness and decorum.

But this was this icing on the cake: I could not get an Indian cell phone in time for my departure north so Shanti Home loaned me one of theirs for the month I traveled around India. Can you believe that? And then when I didn't have time to go back to the hotel to return it, they sent someone to Delhi International to meet me and pick it up.

I will never stay anywhere else in Delhi. Shanti Home has earned my loyalty and affection.
Dr. Nona Olivia

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Nona O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rishikesh, India
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Shanti Boutique Home for 14 days from May 31st – June 14th 2013, which are the hottest months of the year. I had recently come out of an Ashram of 2.5 months, up in Rishikesh. I needed a place to transition into before heading to Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, Prague, London and then home to Canada.

I have been travelling to India for 13 years now, living here on/off for 6 years, I did feel a sense of protection and security when I was greeted at the airport by one of the personal drivers, only to be whisked off to the alluring oasis, in a world of people rushing here and there, going about their daily life’s. I knew I would be in for a treat upon arrival.

I have to say that I wasn’t overly impressed with the choice of vehicle’s that were provided by the hotel, I personally know that they could do a whole lot better as I hired my drivers that either had a Scorpio or a Range Rover and it would only be within a year old, that was my request whenever I enter into India. The reason for this was usually brand new vehicles don’t break down as much as older used vehicles, plus personal experience and comfort.

I was excited to be arriving to the hotel where I was greeted by the staff at the front entrance, where I had to go through a security scan and then be padded down. The security was a wonderful measure to make the guests feel safe. Then I meet the lineup of staff as they welcomed me into their home. I felt so honored.

I was immediately upgraded from the premium room into the luxury room by Miss Pooja who was my go to girl during a portion of my stay. I was able to see a few of the rooms and by comparison they were all amazing just size of bed and space were smaller. The cleanliness of the whole entire hotel really takes pride in the cleanliness in every single space. I can assure you that the owners take pride in their home because it reflects that not only the staff but how each one of them want to help you in any way that they can to make your stay most memorable.

I have lived and travelled to over 30 countries in the world and I always find myself in smaller Boutique style settings because they pay attention to the smallest of details. If you were to stay in a high end chain hotel they just don’t give you the do care and detail that you deserve or need, it feels more personal in the Boutique style environment.

I ordered usually the same thing every morning, and any time before noon they would deliver my breakfast by the server, along with the Chef by their side and ask me to make sure it was made correctly. I checked every day, and I am very specific about my eggs, how they are cooked, and what they look like. During my stay I have maybe 6 times where the eggs were not done exactly to my liking. The chef would redo them until they were perfect, he took pride in making sure that I was be satisfied 100%. There were no complaints and they only wanted to learn how to do things better. We sat down and I showed him a few things on internet and he was so eager to learn more. I love that they were all so willing to learn something and not be upset about not getting my eggs the way I wanted. It was perfect team work, willingness to learn something new, and eager to get learning it. The beauty in this was so heartfelt and I felt that they really cared about what I felt and what I was wanting.

The cleaning staff amazed me daily, the Boutique was so clean, you really cook eat off the floors (not that I would) but they cleaned night and day to ensure that the place not only smelled cleaned but you could not find an ounce of dirt anywhere, trust me I checked. Polishing lights, shining the wood, ornaments were handled with great respect and detail. AC was always running due to the high summer heat that you experience in India well into the high 40’s low 50’s. It was hard to go out and sight see, it was just so hot. The beds were changed every third day, and the bed was made perfectly. The upgrade to the Bollywood room was really amazing, the room was big enough to do my yoga in (even though they had a studio set aside for Yogi), I found that my room was large enough to do it here, because I practiced meditation for an hour prior to practicing my yogi. There was a spa on site but I did not part take in this but hear that they are very wonderful.

I never heard outside noises and the hotel was very peaceful and so quiet you could hear the church mice. Speaking of critters I am happy to say that I never in 14 days saw anything like that during my stay, I don’t think they like the cleanliness of it and decided to stay outside the walls.

I was asked daily if I wanted tea and biscuits which was always “yes”, and delivered fresh, if they didn’t have what I wanted they went out and got it. This is this service that I love especially when staying a great length of time.
Every single staff member handled my stay with grace, dignity, professionalism, care, and it was such an honour to be a part of this journey.

They offer so much here at the Shanti Home that I would have done more if it wasn’t so hot outside, you can learn how to cook Indian dishes with your own private chef on your own or within a group setting. The food here was exceptional every dish I ordered was so tasty, made fresh daily. Or if you’d like to have something not offered on the menu they would love to make it for you as well.

The ensuite was large with a soaker tub and shower, spacious enough with lots of closet space, a desk windows, and door to open during the day.

I think that the best thing about the home was there were no TV’s inside the suites; you would have to go to the “Pattachitra room” for that.

Included in your stay was free WiFi, which is always a bonus in my books, just as long as it works on a consistent basis, there were plenty of comfortable lounges to cozy up to a good book, take a nap, our lounge out. You had a gym that you could work out in which had everything that you needed, and opened 24/7, it was small but very good and clean.

One added touch was every other day they would design a God of worship outside on the marble path in full coulors by one of the creative staff members. It was so beautiful and they were so talented. It was always worth looking at.

I cannot thank the staff enough for allowing me to have the greatest experience before I departed this beautiful country. I will be back and until we meet again, “Om Shanti Shanti”!

Your humble Shanti

Chantel
XOXO

May you find love with those you meet, thank you all for a memories and look forward to the New Shanti Boutique in Mumbai!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Chanti_Nishant
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed at Shanti Home three times this summer, utilizing it as my retreat from the madness of Delhi and the tribulations of travel whenever I had an extended layover during my 3 months of travel in India and Nepal. There is nothing nicer than being picked up in an AC cab at the airport and being delivered to the peaceful confines of a hotel, where you are greeted with juice and a marigold garland--all exhaustion melts away! The staff at Shanti Home is unbelievably welcoming, accommodating and kind, across the board. There is always a smile and a pleasant greeting or conversation at each interaction. Plus the rooms are divine! On top of being impeccably clean, they are comfortable and beautifully decorated. In fact the whole hotel is lovely--I even used the yoga room! Because I always stayed at Shanti Home for one night of luxurious rest and relaxation, I did not care to leave the hotel, and only ate at the Lantern Restaurant there. THE HALF-TANDOORI CHICKEN WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD--TRUST ME. And the breakfast is practically a feast. As I am a frequent traveler to India, I will undoubtedly return to Shanti Home as my little splurge, my much-needed treat and my home-away-from-home in Delhi!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Becky B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Shanti home twice during our month-long trip around India, Shanti Home was definitely our favourite hotel in the whole of India. On arrival into Delhi the first time, we initially had booked into an absolutely awful hotel so after scanning tripadvisor we came across Shanti Home. The hotel, it's staff, restaurant and decor could not be have been any better - it was such a comfort! We also did the Taj Mahal trip which the hotel offer, it's a lot more expensive than if you did it by train but being transported from door to door in an AC car was so much better! We would definitely recommend the fantastic Shanti! We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank forbes034
Halifax, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have just spent 6 weeks in India, and am on my third stay at Shanti Home. You will not find a better hotel anywhere! The staff are very friendly, and caring. The staff's customer service is unbelievable. You are greeted with cold juice, and everyone asks about your day. They are always making sure that you are taken care of, from your arrival to your departure. The hotel is very clean, the best are comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The rooftop restaurant is the best place to start and end your day, and has amazing food. There is a private yoga studio, reading rooms, and a movie lounge. You will get the royal treatment here, and never want to leave! I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is the perfect hotel to start your stay in Delhi, rejuvenate yourself, and to soak up the last few days before you depart. Cannot recommend this hotel enough!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank pamunroe
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Shanti Home was our home base for a recent trip to Delhi. We booked their Delhi and Agra package, which included airport pickup, a special dinner, massage, and full-day trip to Agra.

The hotel itself is in a residential neighborhood close to the embassy district and not near the center of New Delhi. There is a metro stop nearby but we did not explore this. The hotel is quaintly furnished, well thought out, and has a delicious (though not cheap) restaurant on the roof. Rooms are 'homey' and there are social areas on each floor.

The day trip to Agra went excellently even though it was a very long day. Despite leaving at 6:30 AM, it took almost 4 1/2 hours to reach the Taj Mahal. The return trip was another 3 1/2 hours.

The restaurant is very good and the chef and staff are eager to please. They even provided a snack bag for the drive to Agra!

Shanti Home is a good choice if you need a base for excursions around Delhi or are looking for an eminently reliable team who can organize all the details of your stay. The staff is incredibly welcoming, helpful, and proud of their work. If you intend to spend time in the center of Delhi you may want to consider alternatives in the city center itself. We stayed two nights at Shanti Home followed by two nights at the Imperial Hotel in the city center, and the taxi ride was more than an hour between the two at midday. However, Shanti Home is very pleasant, excellently managed, and the most boutique-like hotel experience to be found in the city. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MRF_Singapore
Franca, SP
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were searching for a place in delhi for 2 nights while visiting delhi for some work. I selected this hotel due to affordable price and location. We thought we will manage somehow. But it was a very decent and comfortable stay. Staff is friendly. breakfast is very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business