“Friends you didn't know you had in Delhi”
Review of Shanti Home

Shanti Home
Ranked #5 of 728 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I have traveled all over the world, and have spent my entire life in the service industry. Shanti home is by far the best hotel I have ever staid at. The hotel is a little oasis in the madness that is Delhi, with beautifully decorated rooms that mirror different areas of India. The Lantern, the rooftop restaurant has some of the best tandoor cuisine in Delhi with the ambience of a little candle lit tree house over the city. However, what far exceeds all my previous experiences in hotels around the world is the attitude of the service staff which truly represents the welcoming, warm hearted spirit of India and its people.
We have staid at shanti home a total of ten days on our travels throughout India and it simply cannot be exaggerated enough all the time and effort the staff put forth to make every little element of our trip perfect. Some of the things they did at the top of my head are:
Arrange every single travel detail of our transportation around Delhi. Not once did we have to try to negotiate with a tuk tuk or driver. We simply had to find our way from our beautiful room to the front desk and give Pooja, Priyanka or Varun (the beyond amazing hotel managers) a vague idea of what we needed. “Pooja, we want to see a temple or something”. They would meticulously deal with everything, giving us opinions where to go, a safe place to eat when we got there, make sure we were fed before we left, and provide a driver with a fixed price for the day. When we didn’t want to take a car and decided to use the metro they personally walked us over and taught us how to buy tickets. After coming to the hotel after a day of touring no mater how late, the excellent wait staff at The Lantern (especially Tul, a true master of his profession) gave us five star service and safe beautiful food. Believe me, when you get to this crazy city after jetlagged after 15 hours on a plane there is nothing in the world you want more than to not have to deal with anything, and at shanti home you simply won’t have to.
Other things they did for us was keep various bags of ours for weeks while we traveled to other places in India because we didn’t want to carry them, send mild stomach friendly food down to the room when we weren’t feeling well and allow us to not check out of our room until 9 pm on the day of our late night flight. Oh yeah and when all my pictures mysteriously deleted from my camera I called Pooja and she put all the pictures I had copied to the hotel computer in a folder for my return.
We also had the incredible experience of staying at Shanti home for the Holi holiday. The staff through an amazing party for the hotel guests, giving everyone special holi hats and garlands and piles and piles of beautiful herbal (safe non toxic) holi color for us to throw on each other and the staff. The owner Mr. Rajat showed up with beer for everyone and danced and played holi with all the guests in the street. After the party they made a free beautiful traditional holi feast for all the guests.
Every time we arrived back at shanti home after touring some different place in India it was a breath of fresh air. I felt as if we had just made these really great friends in India who wanted to help us get around and experience their city. There cannot be many establishments like this in the world. Do yourself the favor, if you come to Delhi, stay at this wonderful hotel; it will change your outlook of the entire city.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eleni12360713

Reviewed March 27, 2011

Very Clean rooms and courteous staff. Small but good rooftop restaurant -particularly for dinner.Metro is very close but tough to walk to when travelling with small children as it involves crossing the main street . Also if you try to engage a tuk-tuk on the way back , they dont want to come as it is too close to the station. Se we organised taxis through the hotel which also worked out great. In short we were happy

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I booked this hotel, due to a very high recommendation from a colleague! I'm a budget traveler, and, this was a bit out of my budget..but, it was the best service I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing! I don't think a 5 star super hotel has this kind of service!! You are
greeted with a lei of flowers and juice. I could barely carry my own purse..I think they would have carried me to my room!! The rooftop restaurant was lovely!! Again, the service was outstanding. I got to watch the chef prepare meats and breads in the clay oven. Yes, the price was higher, but, not outrageous. (maybe, 700r = $15.plus). They did serve alcohol...those giant beers, wine, mixed drinks. I had one of each on my 3 ngts, there...I'm not sure of the prices. I stayed one night in this giant room, which was beautifully decorated, before, I left for Jaipur; on my return to Delhi , I stayed in another gorgeous room with a huge 4 poster bed! The bathrooms are incredible! They had a spa on site...which I used for a great 1 hr massage. (cost 1000r). They had a "common" rooms on each floor..one with a huge screen tv. The owner, Rajat, was so accomodating and welcoming....he even sent the beautiful Pryenka (his daughter?) shopping with me!!! ('cause they were concerned I'd get lost)
I could go on and on....I am SO happy I choose this hotel for my "Delhi" overnights...this was a huge treat for me!!
p.s. I had hired a driver/car for my Golden Triangle tour. My driver said that this hotel was "out of the way"....oh well!!! His problem , not mine!!
I'm delighted with my choice, and stay there again...in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank phillydiver
Reviewed March 24, 2011

After reading countless reviews of places to stay in Delhi and weighing pros and cons of various places, I decided on Shanti Home. I booked our 3 week trip to India on my own, and I must say that deciding on Shanti Home was one of my better decisions. Without giving extraneous details, let's just say that I made a major mistake in my booking and arrived in India with no place to stay. The staff at Shanti Home went above and beyond what anyone might expect in terms of helping resolve our problem. They were FANTASTIC!!! We arrived at the airport (plane was late) at 11pm and after some confusion, got a taxi to Shanti Home. They were fully booked that night, but the amazingly kind/caring people there arranged for a nearby hotel for us, drove us there and waited until we were checked in and going up to our room. Mind you, it was about 12:30 am or so by now, but the Shanti Home staff welcomed us with marigold leis, juice and smiles. We were exhausted after the long flight and in a new, strange place. I can't describe how comforting it was to be so thoroughly cared for by perfect strangers! I have traveled quite a bit, but have never had such a positive hotel experience like this. This is why I like to book at smaller, more intimate hotels. You may get fancier accoutrements at (outrageously expensive) 5 star hotels in Delhi, but you will never find a more quaint, comfortable hotel and certainly won't find a more wonderful staff. The next day (when we were booked at Shanti Home) a hotel car picked us up and brought us there. Again we got the lei greeting, juice and some good-natured talk of the previous night, what we wanted to do over the next few days, etc. No pressure, no hidden agendas, always helpful in the best ways possible (which was not the case in several places we stayed at). The food is good at the pretty rooftop restaurant and the service is great. The location is not central, but transport is very close, or you can do what we did, which was hire a car for the day....MUCH easier than navigating around by yourself....which is not easy in Delhi (streets/addresses are not marked well). Overall, unless a swimming pool and huge marble lobby is important to you, do yourself a favor and stay at Shanti Home when in New Delhi!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank oaklandvet
Reviewed March 24, 2011

This is one of the most pleasant stays I've had in Delhi.

The service is exceptional - kind, friendly and attentive. Priyanka and Pooja were especially delightful, and made me feel just like part of the family. They went out of their way to make sure I was got breakfast even though I routinely missed the regular breakfast time.

The rooms are spacious, well kept and tastefully decorated. What it lacks in external views it makes up for in interior decoration.

The only drawback is the location, which isn't particularly central,but it is close to a main metro line, and the staff are very helpful in arranging transport, even at short notice.

The in-house restaurant is very good. The tandoori restaurant in the hotel does excellent dinners. The room service menu offers western food, but I'd recommend against ordering it - it's disappointing compared to the local food, which is delicious.

The spa and massage facility is good too, and quite reasonably priced.

All in all, an excellent option for a visit to Delhi. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We4 stayed here on the last bit of our India trip and thought we would splash out on somehwre nice. Ok it was double the price of where we stayed in Delhi at the start of our trip but it was oh so nice.

Yes the food is expensive as mentioned but very nice. I think they are taking advantage of their lcoation i.e. no alternatives but to be fair Delhi for food isnt overly that cheap anyway surprisingly.

The walk to the metro wasnt that bad. Ok it can be busy, dusty and smell of urine but thats Delhi for you. I think if you wanted to do a tour just hire a driver and do it. I wouldnt fancy travelling around too much by ourselves on the metro. The hotel itself was superbly furnished and very relaxing and the staff very attentive. The smiles on their faces when you said thank you etc was great. Not sure they are used to being thanked. Room was very nice, but bweing a typical westerner I wouldnt have minded a tv. Advice if coming from the airport make sure the dribver does know where he is going as they say they do then clearly dont. Maybe even print off a map. The hotel does do a car but that is it a bit expensive.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2011

we stayed here after a 2 week gecko's tour of india - so we were ready for a rest! the place was very luxurious. nice big rooms. the bathroom were great. common rooms were good to meet friends for a drink and watch tv/play games/etc. we did the cooking lesson with the chef's in the kitchen, then ate the meal for tea. the staff were very friendly and nothing was trouble (we left at 3am in the morning and they still did us breakfast). rate was good.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends