“Nice stay for the first time in Delhi”

B Nineteen (B-19) Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #45 of 1,076 New Delhi B&B and Inns
dubai
“Nice stay for the first time in Delhi”
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Prior to my trip, I searched the different Boutique Hotels in Delhi. I came up with this one which ended up being a satisfactory discovery.
Although the location may not appear as convenient (nestled in a residential compound with no access to public transport such as metro or taxi) as it could be for bigger hotels in town, the area was overall quiet and nice.

The Boutique Hotel is a residential building which was rearranged into guest rooms. There are very few amenities, enough to "survive" at least. The room was quite spacious and had a nice view. The general decoration was well chosen, simple and neat, and is an invitation to the local atmosphere. The bed was comfortable as well.

The owner and his reduced team were always helpful, providing sufficient service. However, the prices demanded for taxi (which is the sole means of transport) was exorbitant for India (600 Rps at night to go and come back to any location in the city).

One needs to be aware that there is a railway next door (although I could not clearly locate it) and trains are regularly and fiercely honking at night which can become quite irritating. Furthermore, during the last night, we ended up hearing a young child literally screaming his anger out like an animal being slaughtered. I certainly hope the child had nothing to do with the owners who seem to live in the building but it should be a concern.
There is no restaurant available. However, the staff can cook dishes upon request and having visited the kitchen briefly, it seemed to be quite mouth watering.

Despite of this discomfort, it is a place to discover but it also needs to be carefully weighted against the other Boutique Hotels in Delhi.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Minnesota
Reviewed January 2, 2010

My wife read a review of the B Nineteen (that's the street address as well as the name) and I followed her lead booking myself for a major part of my two week trip to India. It was a wise decision for many reasons.

New Delhi can be a difficult but incredible place to spend time. There was never a moment that I didn't experience something amazing. But, at the end of the day I was always happy to know that I would head back to the B nineteen for quiet and R and R.

The B nineteen is a very clean, comfortable place. The roof top breakfast over looking Humayun's Tomb was a daily delight and the staff, I want to thank them all personally, was terrific. They were always helpful, always on the spot for whatever questions I had or things I needed.

I read other reviews of the B Nineteen that make mention of the train whistles sounding all night. This is true. But, if music is a part of your life then the sound of the trains will be music to your ears. I fell to sleep nightly listening and enjoying. In fact the train station is just down the street. Grab a camera and walk to the platform and hang out and watch. It’s an amazing place to visit.

Also check out the Turtle. It’s a coffee and bookstore just around the corner from B nineteen. Great espresso drinks, and food for late night.

The B nineteen offers easy access to rickshaws or cabs.

Obvious draw back for anyone spending time in Delhi is the air quality. It was awful during my stay. You can’t escape it. Somehow, eventually, I managed to overlook it and knowing I would be going back to the B nineteen at the end of every day always helped me to feel better. Make sure you book well in advance.

Finally, Lee or Ken, if you read this review please contact me in Minnesota.

Healthy travels to you all, Lou Ferreri

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I found B-19 to be a great oasis in the midst of noisy Delhi. The service is impeccable, style is modern and the location is very convenient to the sights of New Delhi. My only complaints are that I was not informed ahead of time of the service fee for paying with credit card and that there was no "to go" breakfast option when departing on an early morning flight.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank briochelover
Hayward, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I arrived very late evening/early morning greeted by a staff member posted at the door. His bed was literally right next to the gate, a norm for receiving late night travelers. Getting to my room was a bit confusing as the building is a bit of a maze on different levels, behind doors, hallways etc. The room however was perfect. Large, bright, just a touch of India, neat clean and modern bathroom, complete with a balcony.
Inside the room there was a small seating area for meals or tea. Next to that was a small desk and TV. The bed was large and comfortable although very close to the ground. I didn’t mind this but it did take a bit of getting used to. It’s a great way to feel like the Indian Royals sleeping in their beds in the old palaces. The bathroom was very nicely finished in bright white and blue tiles, glass shower stall, full time running water with plenty of hot water. My favorite part was the French-door access to the balcony. Although not private, I never saw other guests outside enjoying the view. Because of this shared balcony, 2 other rooms have access, it’s best to keep the curtains closed for privacy.
In the morning you can hear religious songs and watch the locals walking to the nearby temple. Just across the way you can catch a glimpse of Humayun Tomb. The property is set in a beautifully landscaped gated community which makes for uninterrupted, safe walks around the neighborhood. My only dislike of the location was the constant sounds of train horns blaring. I got used to it but it was there.
I left my door cracked once I was set for the day to alert the staff I was ready for breakfast. At this point I thought I would meet the owners and have a nice morning chat. My continental breakfast of fresh fruit, toast, cheese and tea was brought to the room which I then took to the balcony. It’s not everyday you can listen to India waking up while enjoying a hearty breakfast on a balcony so don’t stay inside. I soon came to realize the owners were not on site and I would not be meeting them. A disappointment that changed my feeling of the place.
After two nights stay I never did figure out how to find my room without getting lost each time. Part of the fun was exploring the building and seeing how much work went into the remodel of the former shell. Unfortunately the camera I used did not capture the elegance B19 exudes. Prices have gone up since I stayed here in 2008 which is why I skipped coming back for my 2009 stay.
This is a perfect spot for singles, couples or groups staying for more than a day in Delhi. B19 is close to sightseeing, located in a great neighborhood for walking and the rooms are very comfortable. As of this writing, I see the website has been changed to B19 Boutique Hotel, no longer classified as Bed & Breakfast. Better.

Chris
www.fullstopindia.com

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Sean C
London
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I have stayed at bnineteen several times over the last year. It is a beautiful place - a typical house in Delhi's posh suburbs, but refurbished with impeccable style and panache. The rooms are huge, the bathrooms beautiful, the breakfasts yummy and the service always friendly. It is now the only place I ever stay in Delhi.

One thing bineteen's perfect for is for onward travel to Agra, as it's right next to Hazrat Nizamuddin station. The team will do an early breakfast for you, and walk you right onto the Taj Express, for arrvival in Agra at 10am.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed October 17, 2009

If you're going to New Delhi, do yourself a favour and stay here! The amenities and service are as good as or better than any B&B you'll find anywhere. Not only is the design soothing and unique, but the staff treated me more like a personal guest than a hotel guest. The location's very convenient, safe, just close enough to the airport and train station, and the view of Humayun's tomb can't be beat.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
geneva
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I have stayed many times in B19 between October 2007 and December 2008, for busines trips or connecting through Delhi. I simply wouldn't stay anywhere else in this noisy, crowded and hectic city. This is an oasis, with very nice beds and splendid bathrooms (the kind of things that you cannot take for granted in India). And another atmosphere than a hotel... You just hesitate recommending it, because they may be full the next time you're around!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business