“Bed bug palace”
Review of Hotel Ivory Palace

Hotel Ivory Palace
Ranked #94 of 971 Specialty Lodging in New Delhi
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

There's budget, and then there are placwes like this, went on the recommendation of a tour driver, juzt need a place to sleep for a couple of nights.
Hotel is shabby, but I didnt expect much for the price. Having travelled extensively, I dont judge all hotels by the same standards, location and price are taken in to account.
Hotel Ivorys rooms on the surface appear clean, floors swept, walls had stuff marks, and sockets hanging out of the walls, NOT A PROBLEM in a budget hotel, I could even live with the rusty water, hot water was tepid at best, and the occasional cockroach goes with the territory. But the bed bugs, sorry that was one step to far, I terminated over 30 then stopped counting.
The hotel insist you pay up front, then refused a refund for the unused night when I checked out, I presume thats part of there business plan.
Dont use there are better places in the area for similar prices, and for an extra £10 anight you get a lo lot more.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Mike U

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Booked on hostelbookers for 700 rupees on arrival after already being scammed a lot I asked the manager on the front desk how much I would pay at which point he said "we're not like those other places we charge you one price" LOL. So when I checked out the next day surprise surprise it had gone up to 900 rupees!!

I'm mostly angry with this Hotel as he set me up with a travel agent who ended up ruining my stay in India (Travel Venture India Pvt Ltd) it has a big blue sign on the front and YOU WILL SPEAK TO A MAN CALLED ALI. Read my review about my stay in DANDOO PALACE HOUSEBOATS AS THATS THE BIGGEST SCAM IVE EVER SEEN and I ended up loosing £100. Anyway!

So I waited for breakfast downstairs in Ivory Palace as I had to catch a bus early and told the manager I was in a hurry. After 50 MINUTES I was served breakfast. Whilst waiting for breakfast I saw the manager have a shouting argument on the phone... seemed like a lovely man.

Did I mention the bed bugs? See picture attached

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Ed M
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My and my friend booked this hotel using Booking.com service. They listed lots of features of this hotel so, we dream lots. We booked two x Grand Deluxe Double or Twin Room. On visit they offered told us that this category of rooms are not available! And they offered us 2 x Suite rooms. Rooms are too much dusty + no good response from manager or owner :(
Also we found that as per their listing in Booking.com, there was NO Elevator and Open Restaurant (à la carte) in Hotel plus Tea/Coffee Maker, Safety Deposit Box, Iron, Trouser Press, Washing Machine, Mosquito Net, Shower, Slippers, Fax, Radio, DVD Player, iPod Docking Station, Minibar, Refrigerator, Microwave, Kitchen etc... not available in any room of the hotel!!! Also on first day we told them that on last day we checkout on 2.30pm because our train is late and they say yes and also confirm that they not charge extra for the same. But on checkout time they given us a invoice of half day room charge + 2 extra breakfast meals (already include in our package) !!! So, we talk too much but nothing... We have time problem so, we pay for it... Overall very BAD experience...
OWNER IS A DELHI KA THUG... STAY AWAY...

Room Tip: As per our experience we not recommend any one to stay in this hotel. Even one foreign customer comp...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank FastTreck
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a very dirty, shabby and poorly-run place. Our room was rundown, the bathroom very dirty (although I think this is fairly common for budget places in Delhi), and the place was in general very bad. The staff in particular were awful: they forced the classic Delhi scam onto us of visiting a dodgy tourist information center, and consistently tried to charge us more for things while asserting we would be ripped off otherwise (e.g. wanted to book a taxi for us at what turned out to be 6 times the price). They also invented imaginary charges when we checked out that we were forced to pay because we were running late for our bus.

The only pros I can think of are the location (close to a metro station which turned out to be a useful way of getting around Delhi) and the price (quite cheap, assuming you turn down all their other offers).

Would not visit again, definitely would not recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Silvo38
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here twice whilst in Delhi as the price was so affordable (500 rupee per person). It is very cold during the winter however the staff were understanding and more than helpful with providing us with extra blankets (which ensured we were toasty warm!). Great location, a boiling hot water shower, cable television and traditional Indian room-service - who could ask for more for 500 rupee?

Room Tip: Away from road is best is you like to turn-in early.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Ivory palace is far away from being a palace but a moderate budget hotel in Karol Bagh which is cleaner & nicer area than dirty & noisy Pahar Ganj. The location is good, very close to the metro station 'Karol Bagh' and it's a short trip to anywhere central. We did all our trips by metro. The manager on duty was not welcoming but other than that everything was ok.
We were prepared that hot water is only available mornings and evenings because I asked about it:
- Do you have hot water?
- Can I check? - I asked when looking at the room.
- No. It's only in the morning & in the evening.
So there was no disappointment but if I wouldn't ask to check we'd also think they have it 24-hr :)) The water was really hot (not warm) so it was good because we stayed in Jan and it's really cold at night.
The manager also gave us free wi-fi access even though it lists the price at the reception desk, strange. So all in all it was 1000 Rs/ night / 3 people. Good deal I think.
We stayed in 3 different hotels in Delhi (in Pahar Ganj & Karol Bagh) and I would probably be back to stay at Ivory Palace (event though it's not a palace). :)
Oh also, on our last night the hotel owner and staff invited all guests to his daughter's marriage celebration which was a very nice gesture. We went to have a glimpse of it and it was very beautiful and interesting experience.

Traveled Jan 2013. Stayed as a family of 3.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nick V
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place was awful and taking part in a scam. Our taxi driver couldn't find our hotel (first part of the scam) and stopped at Ivory Palace to use the phone to call our booked hotel. The guy working at the front desk 'called' our hotel to get directions. The person on the other end said that there wasn't really a way to get to the hotel at night (second part of the scam). Of course we weren't talking to anyone at our hotel just the front desk man's scam buddy. We ended up staying the night though because it was 3am and we had been traveling for $30+ hours. On top of that the room was dark, dingy, and cold and had no hot water.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple