“You get what you pay for... Not much at all.”
Review of Hotel Ivory Palace

Hotel Ivory Palace
Ranked #119 of 995 Specialty Lodging in New Delhi
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a very dirty, shabby and poorly-run place. Our room was rundown, the bathroom very dirty (although I think this is fairly common for budget places in Delhi), and the place was in general very bad. The staff in particular were awful: they forced the classic Delhi scam onto us of visiting a dodgy tourist information center, and consistently tried to charge us more for things while asserting we would be ripped off otherwise (e.g. wanted to book a taxi for us at what turned out to be 6 times the price). They also invented imaginary charges when we checked out that we were forced to pay because we were running late for our bus.

The only pros I can think of are the location (close to a metro station which turned out to be a useful way of getting around Delhi) and the price (quite cheap, assuming you turn down all their other offers).

Would not visit again, definitely would not recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Silvo38

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here twice whilst in Delhi as the price was so affordable (500 rupee per person). It is very cold during the winter however the staff were understanding and more than helpful with providing us with extra blankets (which ensured we were toasty warm!). Great location, a boiling hot water shower, cable television and traditional Indian room-service - who could ask for more for 500 rupee?

Room Tip: Away from road is best is you like to turn-in early.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Ivory palace is far away from being a palace but a moderate budget hotel in Karol Bagh which is cleaner & nicer area than dirty & noisy Pahar Ganj. The location is good, very close to the metro station 'Karol Bagh' and it's a short trip to anywhere central. We did all our trips by metro. The manager on duty was not welcoming but other than that everything was ok.
We were prepared that hot water is only available mornings and evenings because I asked about it:
- Do you have hot water?
- Can I check? - I asked when looking at the room.
- No. It's only in the morning & in the evening.
So there was no disappointment but if I wouldn't ask to check we'd also think they have it 24-hr :)) The water was really hot (not warm) so it was good because we stayed in Jan and it's really cold at night.
The manager also gave us free wi-fi access even though it lists the price at the reception desk, strange. So all in all it was 1000 Rs/ night / 3 people. Good deal I think.
We stayed in 3 different hotels in Delhi (in Pahar Ganj & Karol Bagh) and I would probably be back to stay at Ivory Palace (event though it's not a palace). :)
Oh also, on our last night the hotel owner and staff invited all guests to his daughter's marriage celebration which was a very nice gesture. We went to have a glimpse of it and it was very beautiful and interesting experience.

Traveled Jan 2013. Stayed as a family of 3.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nick V
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place was awful and taking part in a scam. Our taxi driver couldn't find our hotel (first part of the scam) and stopped at Ivory Palace to use the phone to call our booked hotel. The guy working at the front desk 'called' our hotel to get directions. The person on the other end said that there wasn't really a way to get to the hotel at night (second part of the scam). Of course we weren't talking to anyone at our hotel just the front desk man's scam buddy. We ended up staying the night though because it was 3am and we had been traveling for $30+ hours. On top of that the room was dark, dingy, and cold and had no hot water.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Viluy
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Stepping into this hotel, I had the feeling right away that she is not known for her cleaning standards. I put up in guesthouses and hostels frequently when I travel; and I instinctively knew that this was not a good choice of accommodation. The reception area was dark and gloomy and the cleanliness of the ground floor toilet was indescribably bad.

To begin with, the complimentary transfer that came with the booking of the room was not at the airport when I arrived. Only when I called up was I then informed that I had to take a cab to the hotel on my own. I understood that the cab driver would be paid off on arrival to the hotel. Naturally, I took the first cab I saw at the airport.

When the person whom I had been corresponding with from the airport took a look at the cab, he returned my greeting with "You took this cab? It costs twice as much." Needless to say, his response came as a surprise to me. He then said I was to pay half the fare. Now, if he had specified earlier what kind of cab I should be taking, this unpleasant situation would not have occurred. Nevertheless, we paid off the cab driver accordingly.

I registered and was shown to the room. For the very affordable price I could not complain. What the room lacked in amenities (only a bar of soap and a bath towel was provided), its size made up for it. Compared to what I witnessed on the ground floor, the room was averagely clean. It took me awhile to learn how to work the water heating system, for I really could do with hot water when it is winter in Delhi. I asked for 2 bottles of water, which I had to pay upon departure. Prakash, the gentleman who carried my bags, showed me to the room and handed me the bottled water, was pleasant and courteous.

The hotel is in Karol Bagh, and conveniently surrounded by a wide variety of shops. It is a 2-minute walk from the subway station and also a 2-minute walk from the main market area. You will be spoilt for choice by what you see. From shops selling footwear to clothing, from McDonald's to eateries serving local food, you certainly cannot argue that there is nothing of interest. Be sure to pay a visit to a travel bureau though. I was referred to 'Adventure Starts Here', a travel information and reservation centre. Sam, who manages the centre was my savior. He is so well-informed that within the first 5 minutes of my entering the centre, I was sold on whatever he said. It was from Sam that I got a driver to take me around Delhi daily. A wise and right choice, and you will understand where I am coming from once you witness the horrendous traffic conditions.

In conclusion, although my hotel stay was quite unremarkable, meeting Sam proved that all hope is not lost.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank CCHSingapore
Reviewed December 8, 2012

we arrived at 7:30 in the morning and were able to check in stright away, after traveling for hour from london throught the night this was fantastic. couple of hour sleep and a shower .after this we spoke to a travel manager from the hotel and he arranged a private car to take us in around delhi.which was fantastic . really heplfull staff .

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel is located in a very quiet area of New Delhi, where there is a night market very popular, but there is no noise. The room is very basic, with a bed, a chair and a table, a TV and air conditioning. The bathroom is very basic, but of medium size. The cleanliness of the hotel is good. And 'this wi-fi throughout the hotel and the staff were very helpful. Possibility to deposit luggage tags free. The included breakfast was a bit poor.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends