“Coudn't wait to leave...”
Review of Hotel Apra Inn

Hotel Apra Inn
Ranked #369 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
“Coudn't wait to leave...”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We arrived at the Apra Inn in the early hours of the morning after a long flight from the UK and were shown to our room. There was mould growing up the walls, the curtains were dirty and when I went to get into the bed someone else's long, dark hair on the bed-side table. Reluctantly we got into bed as it was now past 3am and decided to ask for a move in the morning hoping the other rooms were better.
At reception in the morning I asked if we could change our room as it wasn't clean and it was mouldy to be told "maybe" with no real interest shown from the chap on reception... our driver came to pick us up to start our tour and when I told him we weren't happy with our room got straight on the phone to manager to sort it out.

On return to the hotel later that day a man who I think was the owner offered to change us to another room "with a window" which though still nowhere near European standards was cleaner, more spacious and didn't seem as damp. The chap on reception who I had spoken to in the morning however did make a scene saying "why didn't you tell me there was a problem with the room and i would have changed it for you?" I answered that we had and he wasn't keen to help. We think he may have got a telling off and we didn't get as much as a smile/hello from him for the rest of our stay.

Thank fully we only stayed here for 2 nights and were really tired or I may have struggled to sleep. There is also no dining fascillity in the hotel though you can order room service, eating in the rooms was not a pleasant experience.

If you do stay here make sure you ask for a room with a window and away from the stairwell which is particulalry noisy from very early in the morning.

The Apra international a few doors away was better but still not much...

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window and if possible have a look at a few and choose the better one.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Thassos Town (Limenas), Greece
Reviewed December 2, 2011

the hotel is nice and clean,in nice and safe area.with tv hot water and AC.it is good hotel for india.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Overall the experience was good.

Things I liked

- rooms were clean and modern (I believe the rooms and washrooms have all been recently renovated and it shows) - nice flat screen tv in rooms

- location is good just 10 seconds to main shopping street in Karol Bagh, subway close by which is great

- staff was helpful

- lots of resturants close by

What I didn't like

- the outside of the hotel has not been renovated and it shows

- no windows in our room but it was quite (which I liked)

- don't order room service as food was not that good

Overall I would recommend this hotel to friends. I actually have recommended this hotel to friends and they had a similar experience and feedback.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Stayed here 2 nights part of a car/driver tour through Rajasthan. Went to use toilet and it had one of those "sanitized for your convience" paper strips on the toilet seat. When I lifted the lid, there was a condom in the bowl.

The room was basic but clean. The first night, the AC didn't work because of bad transformer. Worked second night.

This would have rated a 3 star (for India) but the condom thing brought it down to a "2".

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2009

My friend and I stayed here as part of a Gecko's tour. Our room was cleaner than the Hotel Perfect (see my other review) but what really was astonishingly bad was the service. The staff were intent on a) getting tips from us and b) entering our room for various "reasons". At one point one of the staff knocked on our door to tell us they had beer for sale (!). Each time we opened the door they tried to get into the room and I had to stand directly at the door to prevent this. When we arrived we offered the porter the standard tip for each bag that he carried to the room but he tried to tell us that it wasn't enough and even went so far as to take a 10 rupee note out of my hand without my permission! They scowled at any tip we offered for service and when we were in the cab just about to leave for the airport out of the blue they raised the cost of the taxi by 50 rupees! Stay in a nicer place, you deserve it!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Stayed for 3 nights. The room was clean and the staff was the best. They also had amazing food from room service. Quiet at night as well and close to the markets.

Do check out punjab sweets as well. Good hotel, would recommend to anyone. The staff was exceptional. Oh and they also had Wi-Fi.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Victoria
Reviewed January 21, 2009

We stayed here for 5 nights in total (spread over three separate visits). It was organized for us as a part of a car and driver trip. It is what I would call a basic 3 star hotel. The room was clean and well serviced. While it didn’t have a window (looked onto an airshaft) it was quiet. Breakfast was included in our package, was served in the room and was OK. Could have upgraded it at an extra cost. Staff were friendly and helpful. The bed only had a bottom sheet and blanket but staff were happy to provide a top sheet.

Location is OK. Relatively quiet street with markets at one end of street. A number of reasonable restaurants in the street and internet cafes nearby. Felt quite safe walking around in the evening. Is a 10 minute autorickshaw ride from Connaught Place.

Autorickshaw drivers have trouble finding it so make sure you take a hotel business card with you.

• Liked — Conveniently located
  • Disliked — Soggy shower mat!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)