“Decent rooms for an average price; Location is a big plus”
Review of Indraprastha Hotel

Indraprastha Hotel
Ranked #508 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The first time I stayed in this hotel was about 10 years ago. Since then I have stayed here countless times, atleast once every year. In the beginning, I also stayed at some other nearby hotels, lots of them are located within a walking distance. But I found Indraprastha to be the best among them, specially for the price.

Since I can write so much about this hotel that the review will not even remain objective, I will try to present my feelings in bulleted points. Here we go:

1) Very nice location: This is a very big plus for me but I guess other hotels in the area have the same advantage. This hotel is located next to a "Bengali" sweet-hourse/restaurant where the food is good and the prices are cheap. So if you get bored using the room service for their in-house food which, by the way, is also very good, you can take a walk and find tens of restaurants including Pizza Hut, McD's, and Bikanerwala. Let me not forget the easy access to various modes of transportation, cabs and autos are ofcourse just a call away, but even the superb metro station is less than a kilometer away.

2) Clean rooms that can use some more cleaning: Ah, this is an interesting one. Everybody has their own criteria of "clean". Some people even go as far as to carry UV lights with them and consider a hotel clean only if there are no spots on the bed sheets when looked under the UV light. Well, I am not one of them. Let's not forget that this is not a five-star rated hotel so, for the price and the category of this hotel, it's quite clean. I, of course, would like to use a more appropriate term -- "superficially clean" or the India's own "chalta hai" clean. Enough said.

3) Room amenities: The rooms have decent space and separate A/c units are provided. There are power cuts in the Karol Bagh area and since the A/c units are not powered by the backup generators, be ready to sweat a little in the summer months. But don't let this deter you from staying at this hotel as all of the other hotels in this price range have the same issue. A mini-bar refrigerator is provided in most rooms but I have always found them to be empty for some reason. Room service is quick and the food is good. They do provide laundry service but I suspect that they just use some third party laundromat and the some money can be saved by doing the same.

4) Miscellaneous services: Don't get funky ideas. I am referring to booking cabs, sightseeing and other travel arrangements. This hotel does offer travel arrangements if you like to have someone else take care of these for you. I have used their cab service a couple of times to get to the airport at odd hours to catch an international red-eye/early-morning flight. But I was almost delayed once because the cab did not show up on time so I have learned to use the various other dial-a-cab services in the city like Meru cabs, Mega cabs, and Easy cabs.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank aksera
hotelindiaM, Owner at Indraprastha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2014

Thank you so much for the warm words of appreciation.
We were fortunate to have you stay with us and hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2011

What a joke! How misleading websites and photographs can be. Sadly we’d prepaid for a five-night stay so we felt obliged to remain. Just a few words: dirty, cockroaches, grime. However, a big plus point is the availability of hot water; pity they don’t use enough of it to clean the rooms and kitchen though. The rooftop terrace looks very nice…on the website. Didn’t find the swimming pool though the website photo suggests that there is one. Recommended? No way. An excellent bar/restaurant is just round the corner – “Crossroads”.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback.
We regret to hear that your stay was not upto your contentment.
It is our relentless endeavour to improve in our standards and quality of service. In lieu of this, we request you to kindly send us your contact details via SMS or Email, so that, we may take in your counsels to help us progress and make your next stay a good one.

Call / SMS : +91-9810187451
Email : info@hotelindraprasthadelhi.com

Reviewed November 12, 2010

we were around 13 members incl children, we were given decent rooms with very reasonable tariff and provided very good service overall like arranging travel trips to agra and local delhi sightseeing. Mr sharma who is heading was very co-operative and very kind.

I suggest you all to pay a visit and feel the hospitality.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank anand_ar2001

Reviewed September 20, 2009

the staff were good, expect the driver (night) failed to turn up to pick up from the airport. So do have the full address as the cab driver from the airport could not find the place for ages. Rooms are spacious but dated. The Hi Fi internet did not work- i changed hotels because of that plus the lift was not working. In addition to that u dont get much choice for breakfast and had to stay mainly in the room. The hotel has a day driver - quick and street smart- that helped. Near the tube/ metro.

Draby place with no frills but reflects the price, you should not pay more than 1200 to 1500 rupees including all taxes as abt 500 more takes u into a different class in the same vicinity.

Suggest you book for a day and than extend your stay if you like the place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ealkid
indraprastha1, Manager at Indraprastha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2009

Well we do apologise for the inconvenience caused to the guest but the issues have been construed. The hotel car went for the airport transfer and the driver waited two hours and the guest never showed up. The guest reached the htoel directly in a taxi. The guest could have called the hotel if he did not find the driver. The lift as mentioned was under repair along with the wi fi as there had been a major short supply. This was repaired the next day and this is something which is not in our hands.

Reviewed August 18, 2008

Everything it's ok. Room, bathroom, the staff. Good place and good people. They help you with a smile on their faces.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AngeloMi

Reviewed March 15, 2008

The airport pickup guy had to wait 2 hours for our late plane - no problem, he was there and we connected easily (this was at 2am in the morning!). The middle of the night arrival at the hotel (we came from the U.S) was a bit of a shock, but it turned out to be perfectly ok. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The location is right within easy walking distance to all kinds of shopping as well as to the (excellent) subway station. (subway costs 8 roepies one way). The only (sort of) complaint is that there was a bit of noise up until about 11pm. The clean rooms did not provide top sheets on the bed (we did not care as we carried our own). The food at the roof top restaurant is marginal (we only tried breakfast), but there is an excellent restaurant within walking distance on the same road (called "Tempting").
This hotel also arranged a car for us to return to the airport (750 roepies). All worked out great!
For a day auto rickshaw drive for around $20, we would highly recommend Bill, phone [--]. He is quite trustrworthy and will show you a great time! Tell him, Dutch recommended him!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Dutchzz

Reviewed October 1, 2006

I came back from a one week trip to New Delhi and surrounding areas. We stayed in a budget hotel called Indraprastha at Karol Bagh. Its situated on Tank Road nestled between Ajmal Khan Road and Gurdwara Road. Right next to it is the Bengal Sweet Center. The hotel is decent. I travelled with my whole family (wife, 2 kids and mom). We stayed in a double room with extra bed. A/c room. The room size was not big but given our family size I have no complains. The hotel is generally clean and the management in general helpful. They have a 24hr travel desk and offer airport pickup for a fee. For Rs 1740+12.5% tax it was a decent deal (inclusive of Rs 350 for the extra bed and including breakfast which was not that great and served by a very serious guy) . Karol Bagh is quite central and the hotel is right next to Ajmal Khan road with can be a shoppers delight. Plenty of restaurants around. Their website is
[--]

Don't go by the pictures in their website for room size. My double room had a single queen size bed

Of the big indian cities I have visited, Delhi seems to be the cleanest, seems to have the best roads. Drivers also seem to follow traffic rules in general within the inner city and also seem to be mindful of the omnipresent traffic cops. People sitting in the front seats have to compulsorily wear seat belts.

The people in general here are tough. Plenty of street arguments especially traffic related. They don't seem to smile much and they have a very in-different attitude to providing service. I'm told that people here are very status conscious and money matters a lot. Although I didn't take a auto-rickshaw I heard they are a rip-off. Delhi has a lot of historical sites. For the kids there is Zoo, Appu Ghar, Doll Museum etc. Although I didn't try it, there is also a boat trip along the lake next to the old fort. The most impressive of the places for me was the red fort for all its history and fall from grandeur.

I visited Haridwar/Hrishikesh/Agra/Mathura/Brindavan. Very impressed with the roads/highways. Concrete and the trafiic moves very smoothly. 100kms is vey do-able.

I stayed overnight at Haridwar at Ganga Azure near the railway station and in the market. Not bad. Again clean and reasonably spacious for the prize. Rs 1500 for 5 (incld kids) for one night inclusive of taxes. The Har ki Pauri (Ganges) is a decent walk from here although there are plenty of rickshaws for Rs 15/-. The restaurant at the hotel is pretty Ok.

1  Thank AminaRai