“nothing special, nothing horrible”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Gold Regency

Hotel Gold Regency
Ranked #587 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
Munich, Germany
“nothing special, nothing horrible”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

The location is about a two minute walk from New Delhi Railway station and located in the main bazaar of Paharganj. It was super noisy when arriving because they had construction happening in the lobby but this seemed almost done by the time we left so I don't think it will be much of an issue. The staff were professional and helpful. The room was a bit dated and the door to the bathroom was rotted on the bottom. The best part were the taps in the bathroom. After having bucket showers for over a month, the shower was amazing-possibly even the best I've had in India. Great water pressure! The tap in the sink was also new and had great pressure. The room itself was a bit dated and the a\c noisy but it was clean. Overall, nothing too fancy but also nothing horrible about the place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
venkatesh c, General Manager at Hotel Gold Regency, responded to this review, November 15, 2015
Thank you for taking out valuable time to post your review. I am glad to read your wonderful comments on the overall quality of our features and services. We thank you for your compliments. I am delighted that your overall experience with our palatial facilities and staff services met with your expectations. I duly note and thank you for your observations. The entire staff and I thank you for being our valued patron and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had booked the hotel via Agoda and arrived at Gold Regency at 10.30pm from Agra after a very delayed train took 6 hours to get to Delhi. We found the hotel quite easily on Pahar Ganj main bazaar. As we walked in, the bar next door was blasting music with strobe lights, but the reception was blacked out. We walked toward the receptionists and then said that we shouldn't worry, lights will come back within 10 minutes and we would be checked in later, we could wait on the seats next to them. So we waited. But we waited for half an hour, in the dark. In the mean time Indian people started shouting at the receptionists in Hindi, which we didn't understand. We could only grasp the words: "unacceptable" and "refund". We asked a man next to us what was happening and he said that they were complaining about the power cut, and that the lights had been out since 7pm.

We then saw a a guy who seemed to be shouting back at the complaining customers and asked him if he was the manager. He said yes and so we asked him to explain the situation. He told us to wait another ten minutes and to go have a walk outside until the power came back -it was 11.30pm by then, we had been awake since 4am to see the Taj Mahal in Agra, it was hot outside, we desperately needed a shower, and we really didn't want to go for a walk outside in a seedy place like PaharGanj main bazaar at night!! His tone was very stern and he spoke to us condescendingly, like as if we were asking too much for wanting to know what was going on.

By then we started seeing notes being distributed out to the Indians who were shouting earlier on. Assuming that the electricity wouldn't come back anytime soon, we then asked him if we could get a refund from our agoda booking so that we could go somewhere else (there are hundreds of other hotels outside). He categorically refused, shouting at us that he doesnt get anything from agoda and that he can't do anything for us, it's not his fault that electricity isn't working (even though ALL the other hotels on Main Bazaar had lights!!!).

In the end we called agoda for a refund, agoda called him to verify our story and he had the knack to tell them that he had offered us another place to stay!

As we left the reception area (after verbal confirmation from agoda that we would be refunded) we heard him saying: "stupid people".

Yes, we understand that a power cut was not his fault, but no, it doesn't justify him being so rude to us.

So although we can't testify to the quality of the hotel rooms, we can tell you something about the service you might receive.

If you're coming to Delhi out of season and are looking for a cheap place around the train station, main bazaar is a good place and there are hundreds of places (no need to book -but you can check out the prices on the net because posted prices are more expensive otherwise)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VHRCoco
venkatesh c, Manager at Hotel Gold Regency, responded to this review, February 27, 2016
Dear Guest,
I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail.
I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies.

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

the hotel gold regency is not a big hotel but it a nice option.they are providing free wifi and the speed is also good.the rooms are comfortable enough and the bathroom is not so luxurious but spacious and comfortable.a lcd tv is available in the room and the staff is cooperative

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

we got the hotel booked through a agent.as per the rates are concerned it is a good option very cheaper rates and good service in the hotel.the rooms are not so big but they are comfortable enough.the food was very Delicious.overall its an good option and i liked the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank khannn11
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked a deluxe room after reading an appealing description of the room written by hotel management. The room boasted a bar fridge, complimentary bottled water, hot water, free breakfast, and other appealing features. I thought I was in "hotel heaven", given the relatively cheap rate and the location of this hotel.

Upon entering the "deluxe room", I felt like doing an 180 degree turn and leaving the hotel then and there, despite having booked and paid for three nights in advance. The room was horrible!! It was filthy, and a thick layer of dust covered the floor and surfaces. The bathroom smelt of stale urine. No bar fridge, no complimentary water. The door lock was loose, which posed a safety issue. There was no way I could stay in that room, and I am not even a fussy traveller!!!

I spoke to the guy at reception and told him that the room was nothing like the description on the internet and that I couldn't stay because it was so filthy and the dust in the room made it difficult for me to breathe. He immediately moved me to a super deluxe room for no extra cost. This room was much better, let's say borderline. Yes there was a bar fridge in this second room, but it didn't even work and the inside of it was filthy: I wouldn't even put rubbish in that fridge, let alone food. I decided to stay for the three nights in this second room as I had already booked and paid for three nights.

Breakfast was just borderline. The waiters were surly and dragged their feet, making me feel very unwelcome. On one of the mornings I walked into the hotel restaurant for breakfast at 8 am only to find the waiter sleeping on one of the chairs. I had to nudge him awake and ask for breakfast. He wasn't too happy about that.

The reception staff, with the exception of one of the guys, were cold and unapproachable, and appeared to really hate their jobs. I was there for three nights and I did not see any of them smile or want to get to know their guests.

A middle-aged housekeeping member of staff was the only person who made me feel welcome. He was very polite, friendly and asked me on a daily basis whether I needed more soap or clean towels.

I left after three nights and moved into a great hotel down the road for an extra $4 Australian dollars a night. There are a lot better hotels in Main Bazaar than this one, for example the Hotel Aman International, for a similar rate.

I would definitely avoid staying at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Thomas M
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Hotel Gold Regency for your recent trip to Delhi. Thank you very much for taking the time to share you feedback on your stay. We understand how valuable your time is and feedback like yours is extremely appreciated as we continue to strive to exceed our guest's expectations. I want to personally apologize to you for the disappointment you experienced with the amenities, services .We want our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is just as it should be. I am sorry this was not the case during your stay. You can be confident that we have followed up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were. You really have provided us with lots of great information to not only correct these areas, but to improve them as well. We have taken your feedback and put together an immediate plan of action. We do hope that you give us another opportunity to prove to you that our services and amenities are worth the price and that we are committed to your comfort. Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns!
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

i booked the hotel through an agent in india.i stayed in the hotel for one night and as per the rates of the hotel it is a nice hotel.they provided a car for pick up but they charged for that and the car was ok.
i got the room on the ground floor and my room was very neat and clean and the bed was comfortable.the food was ok and the staff ia also friendly in nature which made me feel much better there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank andrew d
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review and for choosing our hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay and I'm looking forward to having you again as a guest in our hotel.
Calicut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel is well located. Kerala food was available nearby. Metro and railway station is nearby.

It was a bar attached hotel. So there was a bad smell all around. The first room given was not good. Later they provided a good room. ACs are old window models. Room was not that spacious. But okay for the price in such an expensive city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank shaheen97
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your comments and we will make efforts to ensure your next stay with us will be a more enjoyable experience. I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered, and if you don't mind calling me personally on your next visit, I would appreciate it.
We look forward to seeing you again!
Best Regards,
Pahar Ganj
Hotel Chanchal Continental
Hotel Chanchal Continental
#285 of 708 in New Delhi

Been to Hotel Gold Regency? Share your experiences!