“Just fab”

Hotel Tara Palace Chandni Chowk
Ranked #89 of 712 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Loved it here. Great location for spice market and red fort. Great views from roof top and super curries. Hotel collected us from the airport which I would strongly advise you arrange before you go. Nice staff. Definately would stay again

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Tara Palace Chandni Chowk

Reviewed December 20, 2013

You dont pay much. But you get enough.
Service people were really nice and courteous. I was fasting and one of the staff who was muslim too brought me breakfast even though it was outside breakfast and service time.
Rooms are ok.recommended: rooms with windows and balcony. Quite exciting area.
If you go on the rooftop you have an amazing view.
If you are booking taj mahal tour at the travel agent from the hotel take book the guide too, he is amazing.

Room Tip: Take rooms with window and balcony!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The Tara Palace should be called "Tara Shed", the brochure is a masterpiece of subterfuge.
I am a regular traveler to India, and as a European I do try to put myself in surroundings I feel comfortable in, and at the same time watch the budget. This helps me to function properly and do the best for my clients. I am aware of the social challenges in Delhi, I am not a luxury-seeking tourist, I do not judge.
However, the brochures show views and pictures that lulled me into a false sense of security, I booked the Tara "palace" on the basis of the photos, the price, and the fact that it's not too far from Pragati Maiden where I was attending a trade show.
When I actually got there I could only wonder at the imagination of the brochure-maker.
There are supposed to be spectacular views of the Red Fort from the "roof garden". The brochure shows the front of the red fort in all it's glory as if you could sip tea as the sun sets gazing over this marvelous building.
I queried this and was led onto the roof, ducking under the clothes lines, stepping over the electric cables and ducting i was triumphantly shown to one corner of the roof where if I peered between the TV aerials and scaffolding of the surrounding cluttered rooftops I could just about make out a few bricks of one corner of the red fort.
The room was clean, but as usual the vast array of random banks of switches baffled me and the bathroom had cracks and gaps to let in the smoke and fumes from the street fires.
I checked out as soon as i could never to return, there are far better hotels in this price bracket in Karol Bagh.

Room Tip: If you are stuck here, pay for the best room in the place and stay there until the taxi picks you up...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Bigxr
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

We arranged airport pick up and had to phone twice before we found the man then we had an hours journey to the hotel, we were shocked to be taken through slums to get to it and didn't feel safe at all.
What a difference when inside the lobby was clean and welcoming and we were shown to our room which was a decent size and clean but the bathroom was a bit of a let down, a little dirty and shower cold.
Room service was good and food was nice too.
It was helpful having travel services downstairs and Bilal was very useful!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jadeington
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place is a peaceful oasis amid the chaos of the old cycle market in old Delhi. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff were excellent in providing help with phone cards etc. A room with a window and balcony is recommended. The food was some of the best and cheapest we had in India. The hotel is within walking distance of the Red Fort and lots of shopping. Go to the nearby paper market for lots of bargains. Make sure you agree on a price before you get a rickshaw anywhere. A great place to get the feel for old Delhi.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank HCEP
Reviewed October 13, 2013

If you want the 'real' India with all of its known negatives that the open-=minded can ignore then this is the place for you. This hotel is located at the end of a winding alley starting at the grandiose street named The Esplanade with people, animals, and traffic all vying for space. The hotel is very clean,and rooms are spacious and very comfortable(ask for a room with a window and terrace) The food is excellent with the best garlic naan we ate throughout India. All of the staff, we found to be extremely friendly and helpful and made our stay enjoyable. A highly recommended hotel in a fabulous location e.g. shops, markets, Red Fort and numerous temples and mosques all within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with window and terrace as these give good views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Fulfillingdreams
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The other reviews have said it all. Nice Hotel in the slums. It was our first Hotel in India. Chandi Chowk is mind blowing to all the senses and you a in the midst of a very intense Old Delhi. Not a good choice for us as our daughter was visiting us and we had to make sure she got the metro in the evening. It gets dark in India at 6pm so safety was an issue. Walking back from the metro in the dark was an experience. Not just people danger but not being able to see where you are putting you feet. In the rat infested streets. You can't see the cow poo, the packs of dogs, the rubbish or the open sewers in the dark and heaven forbid tread on somebody asleep on the street, there are many of them.
The hotel is a jewel, breakfast and dinners were good. Room clean and spacious for Delhi. English a bit of a problem for the desk staff but they try to understand by whatever means.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple