“A good stay off the beaten track”

Hotel Tara Palace Chandni Chowk
Ranked #84 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Trieste, Italy
“A good stay off the beaten track”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

For my first trip to India I chose a more adventurous start by choosing this hotel located near to one of the busiest streets I have ever experienced (Chandni Chowk).
It is located down a dark and narrow alley in the heart of the old cycle market which can be a little difficult to find the first time. The hotel however is surprisingly good for the area. Large and clean room and bathroom. View from the small balcony was on the rear of the hotel between the rooftops but was interesting to see the living style of the people living there.
The little restaurant in the hotel served good food at reasonable prices and there was a wide choice for breakfast.
The hotel is ideally located near to the Red Fort. It is quite distance from the main tourist areas but the metro is not far away and convenient to reach the main attractions.
I would recommend this hotel to the more adventurous type of traveller (if it is a first time trip to India) otherwise it is suitable for all those who are looking for a decent budget hotel.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We took advantage of the free airport pick up, the driver was not there when we walked out... 15 minutes later we saw him walk over and then hold up our names. We then waited 10 minutes for the taxi to come. Once we were on our way the driver was lovely, got to the hotel and was surprised the reception staff were not as friendly as we read on trip advisor, they also were not very helpful either. Our room was ok, we then ordered some food and was asked if we would like to eat on the roof.. it was Divalli so the fireworks going on and we got to see them all, it was great. This was a good touch to the hotel and the food was good as well.

Room Tip: I would defo recomened you take advatage of the roof top.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
QLD
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel is quite a pleasant surprise, after arriving very late at night and driving through the quiet streets of old Delhi and then pulling up out the front of a laneway. I really didn"t know what to think. Hotel Tara Palace is a very simple,clean and secure hotel.
The rooms are nice and clean. Beds are comfortable and breakfast is tasty. The location is right in the middle of old Dehli. What more could you ask for!

Room Tip: Floor 3 is good, same floor as the restuarant. Also if you want to take the steps its not too far.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kathmandu
Reviewed November 17, 2012

If you are a seasoned traveller and want easy acces to the flavour of old Delhi, this should be your choice of hotel. In the middle of rubble and people you find this surprise hotel as a perfect stay. It is clean,quiet,nice bathroom and enough hot water, very helpful staff,a small efficient travel agency next door which take care of every wish you may have for travel. Computer with Wi-Fi to be used in the reception area - it worked perfectly for me. Free pick-up from the Indira Gandhi Airport . Breakfast perfect.Near Red Fort as a starting excursion and ideal for street and travel photography. For dinner you take a taxi to the five star hotel of your choice within 15 - 25 minutes. Taxis for city trips easily available. Very reasonable price and good value for money. I have travelled to many places around the world and have some requirements to make my stay enjoyable. The Tara Palace Hotel suits me perfectly. I think the description "Excellent hotel with scary,shady entrance from the street 100 meter away " covers my impression very well.. Suitable for travellers who want to see real Delhi with easy escape to Connaught Place and the other tourist attraction when needed.

Room Tip: The staff communicate very rapidly by Internet. This makes planning easy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 596JanKarlsen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel staff were very welcoming, although the night staff seemed a bit shady. The place was very clean, we got a good night's sleep and the breakfast was above average. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anybody on business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chennai, India
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed for 4 days here. Overall excellent stay. On arrival it was difficult to find the place, very filthy road with shady characters all around. At last after going up and down the road we found it in a dingy dimly lit side street where cars cannot go. 15 meters away from the road.

Then comes the good part. Check in was easy and quick. Room was shown and hot water tap and TV remote usage was clearly explained. Very clean sheets and blankets. Floos were clean sparkling and no roaches or rats. Rooms had A/c , intercom and room service. WiFi in lobby. Laundry and travel services too. It was 2 star trying to be upto 3 star services. Room service was good and prompt. Very value for money. Breakfast is complimentary but not a buffet, it was limited and served like a thali like indian continental etc. They serve egg but no other non veg food. It was limited but adequate. Electricity was 24hours. No power cuts. I saw a lot of foreigners and bachelors. No indian families. Very near chandni chowk metro and red fort. Excellent place overall but they need to work on the entrance and a better name board for directions there. Very value for money.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a window. Mine did not have one.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
Reviewed November 8, 2012

DIFFIDATE DA QUESTO HOTEL. LEGGETE IL TESTO SOTTO.

I have choosen this hotel following the good references left by other customer.
I am wondering how is possible to give a positive feedback to a place and management like this.
I'm traveling around the world and I have stayed in many places in many countries, but I never have experienced what I did here.

I had reserved with hostelworld.com for 2 nights and my flight from Bangkok was planned to arrive at midnight so to arrive at the hotel by 2 am. Just after I made the reservation the owner of the hotel wrote me that I had to check-in after 1pm otherwise I had to pay 3 nights instead of 2. I was surprised of this statement and I replied that I would have waited 1pm since I wouldn't accept to pay 1 night more. Actually, my flight arrived in Delhi with a huge delay. Hence, I arrived at the hotel at 3 am. The guy at the reception told me that the room was already available BUT if I wanted to check-in I had to pay 1000 rupee, corresponding to half price of 1 night.

I refused and decided to wait until 1pm in anycase (but he allowed me to leave in the meantime my luggage in my already available cleaned room!!!). While I was waiting my incredible check-in time, many indian people came and checked-in but I am not sure if they had to pay half price of 1 night as well. At 8am (after 5hrs waiting sitted in a coach!) the same guy told me I could check-in. So I did. But of course I was unhappy of the service and the treatment provided. I then contacted another hotel advised on hostelworld (hotel Rupam) where I was able to check-in right away without any problems or strange surcharge fee (as it happens all around the world) and finally to sleep.

Furthermore, at 9 am the owner of the hotel Tara Palace arrived and I told him I was already checking-out and leaving because of what has happened. He was increadibly not surprised or sad of my decision! A cutomer leaving in that way and he wasn't interested to know why or at least apologizing??!! What of hotel's owner is that?

I told him I had to pay only 1 night, less the deposit of 10% of 2 nights payed at the moment of reservation. He replied I had to pay the price of 1 night, less the deposit of 10 % of 1 night. He was trying to justify it as the 10% is the commision of hostelworld and hence it would't receive this money. Of course it didn't matter and aboveall it didn't make any sense what he was saying. I was just so upset of the situation and the place that I accepted "his " condition and I left. He was even trying to justify why the hotel was not giving to me the room before 1pm as the room was not cleaned and ready. I made him know it was the bigest and much stupid excuse as I left my luggage in my room when I arrived in the early morning and I was waiting for 1pm to make the check-in and to go to sleep.

I am writing you this email to flag you up this hotel and to let you think twice before booking with them.
Furthermore, the location is really bad and the short distance to red fortress really doesn't payoff. Delhi offers much better hotel.
Think about it !!!!