“Patchy admin, but overall nice B & B.”
Review of Haveli Hauz Khas

and 1 more site!
Haveli Hauz Khas
Ranked #8 of 1,064 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Patchy admin, but overall nice B & B.”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I booked 4 months in advance and asked for best available rooms. This was all confirmed after some difficulty with them losing the forms and asking for them a second time, then their fax being broken. All done in the end with credit card details received etc. I won't bore you all with the details but basically, a few days before I left for India, I got an email saying there was no room at the inn. This is disconcerting to say the least. I think the admin person just made an error on that day, and when I complained, she confirmed that we did in fact have our booking. We were however allocated the two rooms downstairs opposite the kitchen which is very noisy. i.e. the worst rooms in the place. I found this a bit disappointing.

We used their hotel pick up service which was excellent even though more expensive than a taxi. It was great that the driver knew exactly where to go, and he was a nice guy. He stopped for us to change money at a place with a very good rate, and he dropped us straight to a restaurant in the village and took our bags ahead to the hotel, then came back and got us which was great.

The place is located in the quiet streets of Hauz Kaus enclave - a very middle class area with nice houses around. The Hauz Kaus village nearby ( not walking distance really) is a groovy area with lots of good shops and restaurants as well as a lovely park round a tank and old ruins. We ate sensational kulfi from a cart (where the kulfi wallah wore gloves) on the night we arrived.

The rooms are pretty spacious and have lovely decor. There is a reverse cycle aircon so we had the heater on in freezing Delhi. The wifi is slow but okay. The sheets seemed clean although the towels looked as though they may have been washing the floor in a past life. We had no hot water in one of the rooms so we all had to shower in the one room. I think that was erratic, because later we had hot water in both rooms.

The breakfast was delicious. We enjoyed the chai, fresh fruit and the crepes very much.

We had organised for a taxi to collect us to take us to our rickshaw tour of old delhi ( see my other review on this great tour), and the very helpful night desk guy said he had ordered us a large taxi to fit the 5 of us. In the morning when we went to breakfast, the morning shift person told us our taxi was waiting outside. We were running a bit late because it is a long drive ( 45 minutes) in to city centre, so we were hurrying, when the woman told us as we were going out the door that she had just sent the taxi away because it was too small for the 5 of us. Just a bit of forward thinking on her part would have been nice. It must have been obvious to her straight away that that first cab was too small but it took her the whole time we were eating breakfast to register. I told her we needed the cab quickly or we would miss our tour, and she said in an off hand manner, well it's too late now, you''ll never make it in time. Completely unapologetic and a bit rude really. Luckily it was a public holiday and there was very little traffic so we made it, so no harm done. It occurred to me that maybe we were being punished for not using the hotel car. We would have been happy to do that if it was a reasonable price, but they charge 3 x the rate of a taxi so it seemed like an unnecessary extravagance.

To sum up, this is a lovely small hotel with good amenities, and located in a quiet part of Delhi, but they need to lift their game on service and administration.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms ( Jaipur and ? Jodhpur) are opposite the reception and the kitchen and so you a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank louloubelle
AmaryaVillaA2, Guest Relations Manager at Haveli Hauz Khas, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thanks a lot for writing the feedback on us and let me take this opportunity to apologize to you on behalf of my team.

It is very sad to know that there were some inconvenience caused to you at the time of confirming the reservation and in arrangement of the car.

We will rectify on the mistakes happened and will make sure in future no problems are caused to you in any aspect.We hope in future we would be able to make your stay nice and comfortable.

Best Wishes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Delhi can be a frenetic and demanding place to travel, so it's good to have a place to where one can retreat and relax. At the end of a smoggy and cold few weeks we enjoyed the quiet comfort of Amarya Haveli.
When I first visited Delhi in 2007, there was a dearth of good mid-range accommodation, but that situation has clearly changed. I would be happy to stay at AH again and again, and recommend it without hesitation.
The staff were friendly and welcoming and we found Pooja particularly efficient and obliging. I had requested a particular room and we were pleased that AH noted the request and we got Bodhgaya room, which was comfortable and spacious. However, we asked for twin beds and they were genuinely "single", rather than the wider variety that other hotels offer in twin rooms - but the bed linen was good quality and the mattresses were firm. Some extra blankets would have been good as the nights were cold when we were there, but the room was heated. The bathroom was well equipped and the shower was great - always hot and extra large, and there were good toiletries.
There was a park behind the hotel on to which our room looked, but we also got a bit of intermittent generator noise because we were at the back of the building, quite loud at times.
We ate in the hotel most nights and found the food very good, with both Indian and international dishes available - not particularly cheap but good quality and prepared by a cook who comes in each night. There is a variety of places to sit and read or have drinks, so guests can have space to themselves or mix, if they wish. The breakfast was EXCELLENT, and the fruit salad was terrific, as was the squeezed orange juice, and there is a range of other hot and cold options available. Masala chai and good coffee was also available.
Hauz Khas is a quiet upmarket enclave (gated suburb, which are common in Delhi) away from the centre of Delhi and secure and well maintained. There is an upmarket little shopping and eating "village" about one km from the hotel, populated largely by a moneyed young set, but has good restaurants and shopping for tourists, as well as the lovely Hauz Khas monuments and ruins and park beyond. Well worth a visit.
There are metro stations at Hauz Khas and Green Park, both about one km from the hotel, and the system offers a wonderful, fast and efficient alternative to battling the traffic to get to central Delhi.
So my gripes with this place are minor, and the pluses are big ones.
Already planning my return to this hotel.

4 Thank tongi
AmaryaVillaA2, Guest Relations Manager at Haveli Hauz Khas, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you very much for reviewing and writing the feedback.

It's great to know that we were able to make the end of your trip comfortable and a memorable experience.We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us.

It was pleasure to have you with us and we welcome you to stay with amarya group in your future visit to India.

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My friend and I stayed at Amarya Haveli for our first three nights in India, and it couldn't have been a more perfect welcome to a new city and country. It is in a very quiet part of the city, is beautifully decorated and the rooms were serene and comfortable. The food was also delicious! After a long day of touring, it was such a gift to be able to enjoy a wonderful, cozy dinner without having to go out again. Friendly staff, wonderful haven….all good!!

2 Thank SwirlyGirl18
Thank you very much for writing your feedback and appreciating us.We are very glad to know that while staying with us was a comfortable and perfect start of your trip to India.

It will be a pleasure to have you again in the future too.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Very helpful and attentive staff, beautiful rooms, clean and fresh, a car service that was punctual and safe - we had a driver called Naresh. For our early train to Agra (leaving hotel at 0515hrs) staff prepared a healthy breakfast for us all to take with us. Our evening meal there was very tasty.

Room Tip: They're all good!
1 Thank Jackie H
AmaryaVillaA2, Guest Relations Manager at Haveli Hauz Khas, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback.

It was a pleasure to have you with us.We are glad to know that you had a comfortable stay here.

Hope to host you again in the future.

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed here for two nights and was impressed the moment I walked in. It's located in a quiet part of Hauz Khas and is basically a house that's been converted into a six-room hotel. The decor was cozy and tasteful, and the staff was really sweet from the moment I arrived. Upon arrival, I was given a complimentary homemade iced tea, which was delicious. They helped with arranging an airport pickup for my friend who was arriving a day later, and also our airport drop-off en route to Bodhgaya. All went without incident. They also helped with exchanging money and giving me walking directions to Hauz Khas Village.

The kitchen is open 24 hours, which is really convenient, especially because the food is quite delicious. Their masala chai was very rich and tasty, and a wide variety of items are available for breakfast, from fresh fruit juice to toast with an assortment of jams and butter to Indian breakfast to fruit salad (all included with the room). Basically good continental breakfast and Indian options as well.

The room itself was cute and clean, with fun decoration (I was in the Gujarat room, so it was all orange-themed). It's perhaps not "luxurious," but it's nice and definitely more interesting than plain old boring hotel rooms. Also, the room smelled fantastic when I arrived! They had put on an aroma diffuser with essential oils, which was a nice touch.

I think you can also ask for spa service, but I didn't so I'm not sure how that is.

Oh, and my favorite place was probably the second floor terrace -- I had an afternoon to myself before my friend arrived, so I sat out on the terrace, had a lemon soda, and read. It was perfect and felt like I was in some resort rather than the middle of Delhi.

The downside is of course that it's not the cheapest place. It's really priced at the boutique hotel range and not a bed-and-breakfast. On the other hand, if you would normally stay at big hotels like the Hilton (which costs about the same) then this would be an excellent alternative option, if you want a more intimate and far more interesting experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
AmaryaVillaA2, Guest Relations Manager at Haveli Hauz Khas, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you very much for reviewing and writing your feedback on overall aspects of our hotel.

It is great to know that we were able to make your experience good and enjoyable.We are glad that you liked the food as well.

A very warm welcome to you to come and stay with us again.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Amarya Haveli was a great place to stay and the Hauz Khas neighbourhood is great. On the downside, the breakfast is a little minimalist and does not change. But friendly and helpful staff make up for much.

Room Tip: The green room (facing the park) is the quietest
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks a lot for reviewing our hotel and it's services.

We are glad to know that you had a comfortable stay with us.

It will be a pleasure to host you again in the future.

Guangzhou, China
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I arrived in Delhi after traveling by car all day. We arrived late, and the first hotel we booked ended up being fraudulent, so we were unnerved, and without a place to stay. WIth the Lonely Planet in hand, we called the Amarya Haveli, located in the Hauz Kaus neighborhood of New Delhi. They had a room available, and spoke with our driver to give him directions (our driver was from Jaipur, and not familiar with Delhi).

Upon entering, we were given delicious tea. The Amarya Haveli is vibrant, and warm, and relaxing. We immediately felt at peace, and happy we had come. The room was lovely, with the most comfortable bed we had stayed in during our two weeks traveling around India. The service was impeccable. Everyone was so attentive, and helpful, and so happy to be doing what they were. The staff were so warm and welcoming.

Breakfast was also the best we had had during our stay in India. It's also easy to get around, as the Amarya Haveli is partnered with a taxi company, so someone comes to pick you up to tour around for a half day, or full day, depending on what you prefer. Pooja, one of the staff members, also gave us a cell phone to use while we were out that already had the hotel's number programmed.

The hotel and the people were all exceptional. I highly recommend the Amarya Haveli to anyone traveling in New Delhi.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for writing about your experience staying with us.

It was a pleasure to have you at amarya haveli.It is great to know that we were able to make your stay comfortable and memorable.

You are very welcome to come and stay with us in future too.

Regards