“Economical no frills hotel right on Connaught Place.”
Review of Hotel 55

Hotel 55
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Delhi
Hotel 55
Ranked #571 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Kentucky
“Economical no frills hotel right on Connaught Place.”
Reviewed September 25, 2009

It was a clean and economically priced hotel right on Connaught Place. Surprisingly quiet seeing as how we had a room next to the circle. Nothing fancy but great as a centrally located place as we came back through Delhi for one night on our way home.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
UK
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Hotel 55 is an adequate hotel with a 70's styled interior which is quite in need of an update. It is centrally located in Connaught Place and thus convenient for exploring. Our double room was cool and for a pleasant change there was no requirement for AC of the fan on during the night. Bedding was musty but clean and the decor is average. Shower was hot and towels provided.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

This is not a luxurious hotel and should not be regarded as anything other than a convenient centrally located overpriced hostel. It is absolutely a 1* (at best) and guests should not expect something modern or luxurious.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Hotel 55 is an excellent option to stay when exploring Delhi.
Rooms are clean, staff are friendly, good airport pick up.
Be aware of unscrupulous travel agents that roam around and in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Sussex
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I have been staying at the "55" for nearly twenty years, on a fairly regular basis, and do not recognise some of the negative reviews which have been posted regarding it. No, it's not a luxury hotel (it doesn't claim to be), nor does it have a sumptuous dining room or gorgeous bathrooms. What it does have is friendly and unfailingly helpful management and staff, comfortable and clean rooms, and in the very heart of New Delhi (superbly located for the railway station by the way). The tariff is not bargain basement (but then what is cheap in Delhi nowadays?), but given its plus points I wouldn't stay anywhere else (although I would avoid the front rooms, which tend to be a little noisy!)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 7, 2008

Stayed about three nights; safety and courtesy was not an issue for us (we were an all female entourage); staff was nice and helpful; my emails were always promptly replied to. This is a one-star hotel, described as mid-range by Lonely Planet and in some other sources as a three star--but its not. Hotels in Delhi are expensive, which may explain the cost of this place. But for a thousand more rupees ($20), you can get nicer rooms that are a welcome respite from the craziness that travel in India can be.

Rooms are small, bathrooms are purely functional but grotty and inconsistent, of our three rooms, only one shower actually worked; only one provided hot water. To be fair, we did not complain but only because we did not expect the problem to be solved within the time we had. There was no internet access from what I could see.

For backpackers looking for a great deal, this is not it. For travelers who want just a touch more amenities or if you are staying more than a night, I'd look elsewhere.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — Overpriced; small rooms, intermittant hot water, dingy
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

iraq
Reviewed October 28, 2008

thes hotel it is Very good and Comfortable and Good service and The most important thing in Central City I stayed three days in it

Stayed June 2008
Omaha
Reviewed October 22, 2008

I had a nice stay at Hotel 55. Before one books here, they need to set their expectations. This is a one star hotel with 15 rooms.

I stayed here for three weeks. I have never been waited on hand and foot like I was at Hotel 55. You have to take advantage of their hospitality.

The breakfast menu was a bit limited, but the food was very good. I commonly would tell the manager I wanted some food not on the menu and it would appear about twenty minutes later. They will send someone to one of the local restaurants to get what ever you desired.

The rooms and bathrooms are clean. They are simple and the fixtures are about 30 years old, but considering how horrid an Indian public bathroom can smell, there was nothing wrong with Hotel 55's bathrooms. They did not smell at all. They always had hot water. I would not recommend drinking the hotel's tap water, but they provide bottled mineral water.

I never saw any bugs in my room, however on the terrace there were some small leafhoppers. These seem to be every where in Delhi. I really enjoyed the terrace, however I wish they had turned the lights off at night, so the leafhoppers were not as bad. The terrace is pretty, with potted plants and stucco walls. Its kind of amusing, the furniture on the terrace is plastic. My friends and I spent many nights enjoying that terrace.

The staff was very trustworthy. That is important in a city that likes to hustle the tourists. I accidentally left my door open a few times and no one ever entered. The manager is Mohan, he was helpful arranging my travel to Jaipur and finding drivers for travel in Delhi. If you ask nicely, they might let you use their office computer for internet, otherwise, there is no wireless or ethernet.

There are some things that I think were funny, but some would find a bit odd. Remember, this is India, if you are traveling here you should immerse yourself in their culture. There were two staff members who sometimes slept in the hall at night. They were very nice, gentle hearted men, and I was told that they were there to serve the clients who may be arriving very late at night. On busy nights, they did not have enough room to accommodate all of their staff members. I got used to it. If you need something, just tell them and it will be in your hand within 30 seconds. There are some rooms without windows, which seem to be quieter, the Delhi traffic is loud. I think the first floor is a bit quieter.

You have to get used to having people do everything for you. You will never carry a bag, and the chi tea flows like water. I met many interesting European travelers here. Many females stayed at the hotel while I was here and they said they felt very safe.

The hotel is in Connaught place. If it your first time to Delhi, you may want to avoid walking around Connaught at first, until you become more saavy at dealing with the people of the street. The hotel provided us with a car right as we walked out of the door, and took us to some nice peaceful places in Delhi.

• Liked — The service was very good
  • Disliked — The hotel was a bit small
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)