“They try I suppose” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
UK
“They try I suppose”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

Let’s start with the positives. The staff really try hard to be accommodating and they let us have a room at 8am. This is really one up from a backpackers hostel. Hot water is sporadic, A/C non-existent (it did come on at midnight once, sounding like an aeroplane). Cleanliness is OK in the public areas but the room windows were last cleaned ???????. The area seems to be in the middle of the second-hand auto industry hot-spot. Anyone who thinks this is a 3* is deluded. Also kept awake by howling dogs outside. Stood it for two nights then found another hotel.

Room Tip: Safer than it looks
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_MP, General Manager at Hotel Grand Park Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Dear Guest

Thanks for your feedback.We sincerely apologies for any inconvenience.

Taking your review in a positive way we have re-serviced all our A/C to make the stay of our valued guests comfortable.We always take care about the cleanliness of the rooms as well as the public areas as already reviewed by the other valued guests.

Some International tourist face the cultural shock on arrival in India where the budget class hotels to 3 star facility hotels are situated in the market area.You have shifted to a Five star hotel after staying with us which is 5 times costlier and luxurious than our hotel.We are in the budget segment but still we like to upgrade our self & serve to the guest beyond the boundaries.

But anyway we again apologies for the same and we hope next time when you visit us you won’t face any difficulty & you will enjoy your stay with us.

With warm regards

Madan Pai

Hotel Grand Park Inn
New Delhi
India

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

Initially I was very impressed with this hotel. I had booked online from recommendations on this website, but I forgot to reserve a pick up car. I emailed them close to depature time, and didn't hear back so assumed I had missed the chance. I was very happily surprised to find the car waiting for me (I advise any traveller to do the same, it saves a lot of looking around and anxiety at the airport0.

However, when I arrived I was told that because of over booking I had been put in its sister hotel - the Aster Inn, just around the corner (I was told it was an upgrade, I wasn't sure about that...).
Whilst the Grand Park Inn was very friendly and helpful and all those I spoke to staying there were very happy, I was not quite as happy at the Aster Inn.
The manager there was not as helpful, the meal room not as nice, and the overall service was rather low quality (though very friendly).
The sheets were not clean when changed, they did not have a spare key so the first day they didn't clean my room (since I took the key with me), and the manager was at times impatient and not helpful when I asked about possible trips (in the end I just went to the Grand Park Inn where they were very nice). I think the main difference between the Aster Inn was simply the staff - the manager was grumpy, and the other staff friendly but rather incompetent.

Otherwise as mentioned on the other reports the hotel seemed nice, and the area is convenient (though make no mistake, it is chaos anywhere in Delhi. people live in the streets outside the hotel as in almost everywhere I saw there). The restaurant on the roof is a very nice place to relax and have a beer and easy meal after a hectic day.
I also benefited a lot from the nice atmosphere in the Grand hotel foyer where groups would often meet and chat in the mornings either discussing tours with the manager or looking at the internet (again, this nice atmosphere was lacking in Aster Inn).

also, I did not find the noise a problem at all.

In conclusion, if you book the Grand Park Inn and they move you to the Aster - ask them to let you stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

This is a lovely little hotel, with excellent staff and all the amenities. We were collected from the airport, and arrived mid-morning. They immediately showed us to our room, and offered us a cup of tea. They also turned on the hot water (we had not realised that in India you have to request hot water) so we could shower after our journey, but we fell asleep. In the afternoon we tried to walk to Karol Bagh mall, but were accosted by auto rickshaw drivers as soon as we stepped outside. They followed us up the road and one even got out and chased us on foot. They wanted to take us to an emporium, they would only charge us 10 rupees, we were in danger, we needed to get in quickly. In the end we escaped back to the hotel. After an hour, we walked to the metro station and went to Connaught Place, but as we exited, we were accosted and told to go to an emporium... We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip, and they were wonderful and helpful, but the miles and miles of motorbike shops you have to walk past in the road while being chased by autorickshaw drivers makes it hard to enjoy the stay. The set breakfast is very good, you have to order it from room service and then your waiter escorts you up to the rooftop with a Tropicana carton and banana each, then you get an omelette, toast and tea or coffee. The evening meal is excellent value, and the lack of view from the roof is quite good, the curtaining screens out the rather rough area outside. Motorbikes, cars, horns, shouting, singing etc. till late at night, as well as the dogs can keep you awake. We would have liked to eat out in the evening, but having run the gauntlet to get back after sightseeing, we just ate in the restaurant most evenings. If you are happy to stay in Karol Bagh, I would recommend this hotel as good value and very friendly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

Pick up from the airport was very well organised. Check in at hotel took only a few minutes. It was late at night and the manager Mr Pai was waiting for out arrival, checked our well being and organised hot meals. Staff assisted with all our luggage and wouldn't let us caary a thing. Great service provided by the honest and friendly staff, they jumped at assisting us at all times. My aunt got sick and the manager organised doctor/medical check up inhouse and the staff got the medical requirements from the pharmacy. The cook prepared special meals for my sick aunt and she was fine within 2 days. Room serviced daily, very clean toilet, baths and linen. Cleanliness took the crown once again. International ATMs are a few minutes walk from hotel, metro so called train station is 5 minutes walk and the main shopping market is also 5 minutes walk. McDonalds and Pizza hut are also 5 min walk. What more can one ask for.
The manager Mr Pai organised all our domestic flights and tours around the North of India. He kept in contact with us and our driver while we were on our tour, checked on our well being and if we required and additional assistance. Now that made a difference...excellent care and customer service. We ladies felt very secured at this hotel. privacy and respect was something we admired at this hotel. This was my 4th stay at the Grand Park Inn and most of our Australian friendsfelt the same way about this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights after a friend's recommendation. Having visited south India several times over the last few years, we wanted a comfortable, clean hotel in central Delhi as a base to explore the capital, as this was our first visit, and we wished to take a day trip to Agra too. The Hotel Grand Park Inn was perfect - it was very clean, convenient, offered excellent value and was a laid-back, friendly locally-owned hotel. The hotel is only 10 minutes walk from either Karol Bagh or Jhandewalan Metro stations which whisk you right into the city centre (Connaught Place) in less than 10 minutes for just 10 rupees. Karol Bagh is a brilliant base in Delhi - a local neighbourhood of real character with bustling shops, bazaar and a couple of good, cheap local restaurants (Sandoz) round the corner catered for our supper. I did not find it noisy at night - some reviews mention lots of noise, but remember this hotel is in a mega-city of 20 million people and 2 million stray dogs - if you want peace and quiet don't come to Delhi. I personally felt very safe walking back at night and had 5 good nights sleep, even though I live in a rural part of the UK with few neighbours! Best points about this hotel - excellent value, online booking, reasonably priced pick-up and drop-off to / from airport (don't even think about taking luggage on Metro - it is a squeeze), clean and spacious air con rooms, friendly atmosphere, lively local neighbouhood and very convenient for city sights.

The hotel booked a car and driver to take us to Agra, as it was not possible to book rail tickets. This proved the best option however, a friendly driver and a great day out. We did not see nearly as much as we wanted to in 5 days, so we are planning to come back later this year or next and will stay at the Hotel Grand Park Inn again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

Nice hotel, staff is very friendly. You get what you pay... nothing fancy but good

• Stayed March 2011
Wolverhampton U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

Service was extremely Good and Staff were friendly and at hand 24 hours a day.
We had 4 rooms across our part of 10 - Excellent Quality - would not be out of place in a decent European 3/4*. Beds were Clean and Comfortable and bathroom had all the little extras with Toothbrush and shaving accessories.

Location was handy to Train station, Metro and our main objective the Cricket Ground.
Local area wouldn't recommend walking late at night - but during day is a vibrant area mainly servicing motorbikes spares and repairs.
Best aspect had to be the whole hotel once you are inside from the staff to the Rooms and our Host Madan Pai was able to answer all of our needs which was much appreciated.
Omellette Breakfast with Toast and Masala Tea more than catered for our needs - The Tea was probably the best we had in our 2 weeks stay across India.

It was more than Value for money and I expect to use it again as a stopping over point for my trips to Delhi - it enabled us to spend a day in Chandni Chowk and save a lot of money on Shopping compared to Punjab State

• Stayed March 2011