“Appalling!”
Review of Metro City Hotel

Metro City Hotel
Ranked #617 of 779 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed November 21, 2009

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Dirty. No toilet paper. Noisy. Horrible room. The hotel clerk tried to steal my money. Then they said that the complementary transfer to airport was to just ring the taxi and it would cost Rs550. We took at taxi on the street and paid Rs100.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DebsG09

Reviewed October 17, 2009

My stay at this hotel turned into a nightmare. When I arrived late at the hotel I found out that they had already rented out my room. Some Indians said that the guys in the reception was scamming me and after talking hard to them on Hindi they fixed me into a different hotel close, but with terrible quality. I was charged for this room myself.

Next day I talked with the manager and he upgraded me to a delux room. This room was decent.

Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank snorerkid
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed October 4, 2009

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed August 27, 2009

We ended up here after their posher (it's a relative term) sister property the Metro Heights Hotel stuffed up our pre-paid booking. Yes, the place is scruffy and the towels aren't white - but that is in common with an awful lot of other hotels in India. The staff and managements were brilliant, - cheerful and very helpful - and the location, just down a sidestreet from the Karol Bagh bazaar, was excellent. Just rememebr you get what you pay for and don't expect a 5-star hotel experience at these prices.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2007

I was part of the architecture group who stayed here in January and just wanted to support the fact that this was the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in. The rooms were dirty, our lock on our door was broken and even though we asked for it to be repaired it wasn't. The towels looked like oily rags with brown stains all over them…I don’t think they knew what ‘white’ towels were. The bed sheets weren’t changed in 10 days as we stayed in the same room on our return journey to Delhi and the same dubious oily stains on our sheets were still there in exactly the same place. We had pigeons looking through the extractor fan at us and dropping faeces through the fan into the shower area. My advice to others…don’t stay in this hotel if you want a pleasant holiday!

• Stayed: January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank David_Holidays2012
Reviewed February 8, 2007

As a group of architecture students visitng India we only had a couple of days in Delhi and had planned to stay in another hotel but had to swap to this one last minute. The hotel is less than adequate, compared to our other experiences in India. The rooms were dirty, and the worst evidence of this was when we returned to this hotel the day before our flight home from Delhi to find that the bed linen had not been changed since the last time we were there almost 10 days before. The noise is also a real probelm, obviously like the other reviwer writes you expect the sounds of the busy bustling streets in India but not like this! I would absolutely recommend ear plugs for this hotel. The hotel staff were intimidating and the reception staff not always helpful (especially with complaints!). Security was dubious to say the least. The cafeteria was also off-putting. Overall a bad experience and this tainted the end of an otherwise wonderful trip.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank StudentOxford
Reviewed January 16, 2007

Please avoid this place at all cost. I was traveling with my in-laws and we wanted to stay in the heart of the city. However, this place turned out to be our worst ever stay.

The room were fine by Indian standards. The hotel is situated in a busy neighborhood and we expected street sounds. What we did not expect was loud rolling drums on the terrace. Yes, that's right. Our travel agent had booked the best rooms in the hotel on the top-most floor. We found out only in the middle of the night that those rooms were located right under the kitchen. The kitchen was open all night preparing for the breakfast and catering. We couldn't sleep all night because of employees running around shouting at each other and sounds of dishes being thrown around. It was just horrible.

I called the reception several times and each time I was told that the noise would subside pretty soon. At 2:00 AM I walked down to talk to the manager on duty and he basically told me that he cannot do anything. "The work has to be done. We cannot close the kitchen because you cannot sleep."

The next morning, I called my travel agent and he arranged another better hotel for us nearby. My advise to the other tourists visiting India...Please avoid this hotel at all costs. I would rather pay more a night than staying at this place or its likes.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family