“Good Location with clean but small, dark rooms with no windows”
Review of Hotel Alka Classic

Hotel Alka Classic
Ranked #285 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Good Location with clean but small, dark rooms with no windows”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Situated on Connaught Circus, the Hotel Alka is well positioned. My room was small, had no windows and so was dark and a bit drab. However, it was clean and tidy. Service was with a smile and not intrusive. Brekkie wasn't anything to write home about but I also dined at the Alka's vegetarian restaurant one night - food was good as was the service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed there 4 night, ovrall is average, the location is good, breakfast is ok, others just average including the service, I booked on their websit 4 nights luxious classic room but they give me executive room without any explanation and compensation, before I check in they take me to look at several room non of them are luxious clssic room, maybe there are guest already in I guessed.
airport pick up service thank goodness they remembered, but they forgot meeting me at the railway station in the midnight one day, that cauing a lot of inconvience to me after 1 hour they found a car to pick up me. not recommended strongly just average

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Pozzallo, Italy
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We loved our stay at this lovely hotel, the staff are obliging and cheerful, the lady general manager always happy to help with enquiries and tips about travelling around the city. Loved the Indian food and bar. Rooms were clean, and linen fresh and crisp. No nasty bugs or other inconveniences. Wish my room had some windows to allow some sights of the city. Over all well located in the center of the town and withing walking distance to many places of interest and the railway station. We can recommend this place to all our readers, who wish to stay in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: Speak to the lady general manager Mrs.Kaur, she can do lots of wonderful little things to make your...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ZaferHasaan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Alka Classic, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Mr. Satyanam

Greetings from Alka Hotel New Delhi :) :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our Hotel.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay, and hope to welcome you back again in future.

Thanks & Regards
Zafer Hassan
Madras, Oregon
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Let me explain what I have experienced at ALKA *** hotel. I was staying in another hotel at Gourgon and wanted to move to Connaught Place due to the time constraints, and I found this hotel from phone enquiry. I enquired about the rates and they offered me a Double Deluxe Room for my family (2+3) for Rs. 5000 net/per night, including Buffet Breakfast. I checked out from the hotel I was staying and when I reached the Alka front desk to check in they told I have to pay 6000 + taxes. I explained about the telecom conversation and the offer of Rs 5000. The receptionist went inside the office and came back and told me they can give me the Double Deluxe for Net 5500/- but no breakfast. Then she asked me to talk to her supervisor in the office and he agreed to include the Buffet Breakfast for Rs 5500/-. It was late evening, I was travelling out of country two days after and has 3 small kids and their luggage, so I decided not to hunt for another hotel and decided to stay there. I brought my family and luggage in then the receptionist I spoke to came and told me she didn’t tell me anything about the breakfast and I will not get it. I then spoke with the supervisor who agreed to the Rs 5500 price for the room and buffet who told me that he couldn’t honour the Rs 5500 price for room and breakfast. As it was late, I didn’t want to destroy the vacation and trouble myself find a taxi again and load the luggage and hunt again a hotel so I checked in. The room and toilet were neat and clean, they had a combination safe, clean linen and bed and due to the travel we were tired and asleep by 10PM. Shortly after midnight we were awakened by noise from outside. This hotel is located inside a building with many small shops, the hotel itself look like a coffee shop from outside.
Around 2AM I woke up sweating and found the A/C was not working. I called the receptionist and he told me he will check and later informed me that the a/c breaker tripped off. Approximately 30 minutes later the a/c came back on. When we woke up in the morning, I discovered a leaking ceiling attributed to a leaky by the hotel staff. I had to move my luggage to a safe place where rain water couldn’t drip on it from the room ceiling. Toilet room ceiling was also leaking and the rain water was dripping on all over me when I was attending to the nature’s call. I informed the receptionist and she was kind enough to move me to another room (one of the nice thing they did to me). Next day I gave clothing articles to the front desk to iron (only) and went sightseeing. When I came back in the evening they returned my clothes to me, not ironed saying they couldn’t send them to the laundry due to the rain outside. Then I asked for an iron and board to do it by myself and they didn’t have any. I wonder who gave them three star ***?
That night also around 3AM I woke up sweating and found my kids also sweating and struggling to sleep, as the A/C again was not working. After I informed the receptionist, they switched on the A/C and told me the A/C tripped due to an electric short (I am lucky that the hotel didn’t burn due to short circuits). Since it happened both nights, my simple brain tells me that the hotel might have switched off the A/C to save on the electric bill. Next morning I went outside and found the taxi driver who took me the other day for a ride in front of the hotel and asked him if he knew where I can get clothes ironed and he took me to the neighboring laundry shop (5mts walk) and I got it ironed in 15 minutes. The Room boys and the waiters at the Bar Restaurant are very nice and friendly. The Dinner was good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

DELHI
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Run of the mill hotel and run of the mill services as well. Just that the location is great in CP. But what i found bizzare was that if you have a member of the opposite sex that wanted to visit you at the hotel. He/She would not be allowed to go visit their hosts rooms. And they dont mention it during check in nor do they have anything posted in this regard. reminds me of all male/ all females hostels ..... Never staying here ever.

Oh and they charge for a bucket of ice (not mentioned in the menu).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2010

We spent one night at the Alka and even that left a bad taste in my mouth. No windows in the room. Rude staff. Very expensive for what you get. The food was pretty good but nothing else was worth mentioning and at the inflated Delhi price Im sure there are better options out there. The worst part was how in your face they were about wanting a tip. As an Australian tipping doesn't come naturally for me but I am happy to tip for good service but seeing that there was no service i felt pretty angry about being constantly harassed for tips.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Patna, India
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Location: Excellent. very close to rly stn. Nearby: Next to shravana south indian restaurant. Close to Mc donalds. Very close to palika bazar, janpath. Even metro stations are walking distance.
Parking: No parking space of its own. NDMC paking.
If you are new to delhi or CP, it will be difficult to find the hotel as the entrance gate is quite small. Will look like a restaurant or a shop initially.
Once you enter you'll feel how costly CP is. Small galleries. Small staircase. Space is a bit constraint for this hotel.
Rooms: Rooms were spacious. Good quality furnishing/interiors. Good quality beds.
Washrooms were quite ok. Not good as was expected.
Had a security locker which could be operated with numbers or YOUR OWN credit/debit or any card with magnetic strip.
Food: Was nice. Has a restaurant of its own
Service: Service was fine. Neither too fast nor too slow.
Lift was too small.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Zafernoori007, Front Office Manager at Hotel Alka Classic, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Mr Neil Satyam,

Greetings from Alka Hotel New Delhi ””””””””””””””””””””””””””””

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our Hotel.

Thanks & Regards