WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #44 of 704 Hotels in New Delhi
CHESTER
“Good Value. Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I visit Delhi every year to help with a small charity working with street children and in 2011 I stayed at the Hotel Krishna. The prices went up for 2012 so decided to stay further down at this hotel. Overall I was very pleased with The Grand Godwin. Rooms are very spacious and as I was there for 10 days it was perfect for me. The restaurant served some very good meals and the Breakfast had a very wide choice. I know many people find the area a bit down trodden but this is Old Delhi and it is what you must expect. With regards the hotel, I would recommend it although I would have liked an Internet facility and the option of making a long distance phone call. I mention that I am female and 69 years old so that you can see I am not concerned about this area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank saralclegg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights. The room was very clean, comfortable beds, new furniture and very nice staff too. But the area around has got dirty roads. The hotel is close to a railway station and to some roof-top-restaurants.

Room Tip: we got a special rate by bookimg.com
Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tony Z
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We originally stayed at the Hotel Krishna  in Delhi, but we were so put off by the lack of service and professional standards we cancelled our second leg booking and stayed a night at the Grand Godwin Hotel instead. This is what 5 star quality should be about. Staff was courteous, helpful and straight to the point. We felt special as guests, and even food in the restaurant were excellent. Best I ever had in India

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Stefenf03
melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Helpful staff. Big rooms with amazingly comfortable beds (especially after a long flight!) Delicious food in the rooftop restaurant. We had a but of trouble finding the exact location initially but overall a very comfortable stay!

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank cazkiss
Kortrijk, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed twice at Grand Godwin during my last Asia trip . It's well located a 10 min walk from the main trainstation . Room was clean , only the breakfast was avarage , i do prefer real coffee instead of self-to-make-Nescafe-coffee ...... Staff were friendly and helpfull . Will stay there again if i ever revisit Delhi/India

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank martinlizard
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I spent a night before a trip to Rajasthan and a night after our trip at this hotel in Delhi - we were very disappointed with the service of the staff in the hotel.

The room itself was very nice especially for the price paid for the room - there is a nice big bed, a good shower, and is fairly clean.

The staff on another matter is awful - the website we booked on indicated free airport pickups. When we arrived at the airport there was no taxi and when we called the hotel they said just to pay for a normal taxi as the driver had left! When checking in I overheard them speaking to another customer at the airport telling them the same thing so I have come to the conclusion they do not do any airport pick ups!

We wanted to book a driver to take us around Rajasthan and we were quoted a price which was double compared to one of the local companies in the area. When the assistant manager of the hotel found out we didn't book the taxi through them he made us feel bad about it and kept saying what a bad decision we had made and will regret it later on - no customer should be made to feel this way and I was very disappointed to here these comments!

As we had already booked the hotel on our return from Rajasthan we had no option but to stay another night at the hotel. We had to get a flight very early the next morning and we asked the reception staff several times the night before to make sure we had a taxi booked for us - the next morning there was no taxi and we had to wait almost 20minutes for them to arrange someone to drop us to the airport which was extremely frustrating.

Overall the hotel is in a decent location and fairly close to the main train station however you are paying a lot (especially for India) so I think there are better options. The room is nice though and if you just want to get a good night sleep then it's not a bad option. Finally if you are looking to book any travel I would recommend getting quotes from the local companies as in my option the hotel offers a very over priced service and tries to make out you will get screwed over with the local companies which is a lie!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank chigz999
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

My room wreaked of a revolting smell. The room attendant tried on many occasions to use air freshener but nothing helped. Even more disgusting was the washroom had fleas.

The hotel manager tried to rip me off by over charging me for a Taj Mahal day trip. The saving grace was that I checked in the night before and was offered a lower rate by the night manager for the same excursion. Definitely look around before committing to the first offer.

The day tour driver was just as sneaky. He took me to all the sites closer to the hotel which took up most of the day. I was left with no option to get to the sites further out of the city. Make sure that you indicate to the driver that you would like to see the sites away from the city first.

The Taj Mahal tour guide was a piece of work too. He tried to rip me off again by saying there was only one exit to the Taj Mahal which could take hours to get through. If I agreed to tip his "friend"1300 rupees he would get me through faster. I had to squeeze through a line that locals were queued in which was embarrassing and awkward since I had to shove my way through and the women around me were upset. Luckily, I didn't have to pay the friend until the end of the visit during which, I found out there are multiple exits throughout.

The area isn't great but close to the railway station. I would recommend finding a hotel in Connaught Place which is close by and a much nicer part of time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple