“best of lot Hotel Grand Godwin”
Review of Grand Godwin Hotel

Grand Godwin Hotel
Ranked #52 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Brentwood, UK
“best of lot Hotel Grand Godwin”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

i was a bit apprehensive while booking a hotel in new delhi india as most of the hotels what they show in there website didnot have any thing near to it. but when i landed at hotel godwin deluxe new delhi i was totally satisfied and very happy that i made the rite decision for hotel booking the room in hotel godwin deluxe.

the airport pickup from the airport to the hotel was very good the driver who came to pick me up was neatly dressed and speak some good english.
entering the lobby is like as if you have entered in a class 5 star property i think so they have fully renovated the entire property. the hotel is centrally airconditioned , the reception staff was extremely polite and professional in particular Mr Amar the AGM he is a gem of a person who knows how to run the business.
the room is well designed with all the modern facilities and in particular the mattresss and the bathroom ( shower area) with a glass facade 24 hrs runnning hot and cold water.

the wifi was also very good with good connectivity and i think so they are coming up with a coffee lounge which will be a good added attractions.

The GM Mr Peter is nice gentleman and i arranged some rajasthan tour package for me and my wife from UK Mr Apar the travel manager a very polite man arranged everything for me car, train tickets and a flight to goa at very good prices.

so i would surely recommend the hotel grand godwin to all my fellow travellers

Room Tip: Prefer to stay in Room 107
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Raman M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

It was a lovely safe hotel, and recommended by lonely planet. It was near the train station which was useful and near a tram which was walkable but really cheap by tuktuk in the evening! It was much appreciated after travelling in the sticks for a while!
And felt really safe for a girl travelling alone, the staff were very helpful and polite

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend a room on the road side! It is quite a busy road!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Nadege S
Agra
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had arranged to stay at hotel Godwin from Canada, and had paid a deposit of 2000 INR online to reserve my room. The hotel was supposed to send someone to pick me up at the airport when I arrived in Delhi but no one was there when I arrived at 2:30 AM. I called them and they told me that the car had broken down and that I should take a taxi. I got into a taxi and we drove around for some time looking for the hotel, but he couldn't find it. The taxi driver took me to a tourist office so we could get better directions, and we called the hotel again from there. The man at hotel Godwin then said "there was a plumbing problem" and they did not have a room for me. The man at the tourist office also talked with him on the phone and found out that they had given away my room. They were completely unwilling to help me find a solution to the problem that they had caused. It was my first trip to India and hotel Godwin had left me stranded alone in Delhi at 3:00AM. The next day the hotel emailed me and said that they had waited for me a the airport and were surprised not to hear from me, they asked me to come and stay that night. Hotel Godwin has had the worst and most dishonest service I have experienced while in India. They have refused to give me a refund of the deposit I gave them so that my room would be "100% reserved"

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank lydiadrzy
peteraymond, General Manager at Grand Godwin Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

We apologize for all the inconvenience caused to you.Although it is not admitted that it was totally our fault. Because on one hand it is mentioned that when you (yourself) called up at the Hotel you were advised to take a prepaid taxi to the Hotel, The point to note is that no one at that time told you about any sort of plumbing work going on or that your room was given away. On the other hand you believe this because an unknown travel agent called up at the Hotel and told you so. It is very clearly mentioned in our e-mails that to avoid any sort of misguidance the guest should himself / herself speak to the hotel reception and make a note of the executive’s name. Had it been our fault we would have never sent a mail to you to check your whereabouts and propose to come to the Hotel & stay with us. (This shows our concern for the guests).
Once again we would like to bring this into the viewers & members of this forum that there are some fly by night type of travel agents that operate at night targeting the overseas guests who for some or the other reasons get stranded at the airport in the wee hours and get trapped in such scams.
This not only throws the bad impression of the Hotel but also leads to the scams wherein the overseas guests first get confide in the friendly masked travel agents and then get cheated and ripped off by getting accommodated in other hotels and buying exorbitantly expensive travel packages offered by these travel offices operating at night.

Once again we request you to get in touch with us so that we can discuss the matter and come to a reasonable conclusion.

With Profound Regards

Raymond Peter
New Delhi
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Thanks to all the employee of the hotel they never make me felt like I was at a hotel, Breakfast was good, room were always clean and the room service were always ready at the press of button, I was greeted very warmly good ambiancethough I was on buisiness trip, will surely visit the hotel again

Room Tip: Always take help from the hotel front desk for local venturing If visiting Delhi for the first time.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AyazAmir
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed June 26, 2012

While the hotel itself is relatively clean and nicely decorated, the business practices of the management and travel agency that resides within the hotel are dishonest and slimy. While planning our trip out to Agra we were directed by the "manager" of Godwin to the travel agency in their lobby. Unbeknownst to us at the time, we were charged a ridiculous amount for the tour. After looking into other travel companies for their tour rates we were appalled at the inexcusable, VAST difference in prices. We pointed out the wild difference in pricing to the management and decided to cancel our tour with them. Within our written and signed contract for the tour, a certain percentage of money would be forfeited for canceling. We were fine with losing that money seeing as we'd still be spending far less at another company with the loss. Here's where I feel compelled to write this review: The management and owner of the travel company made us jump through HOOPS to receive any of our money back from our cancellation even though our contract clearly stated what we were entitled to. We were lied to, given the wrong names of managers, given the wrong amount of money back, ignored and treated disrespectfully for righting the wrong that was being done to us. Perhaps it was because we were two women? Or perhaps it was because this group of folks has gotten away with scamming and mistreating people for so long that they were flustered by being called out on their bad business practices.
We LOVED our travels through India, including the typical ups and downs that come with the chaos of the cities, but this was by far our most vile experience. Do yourself a favor and avoid Godwin.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Erin O
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Once you get inside the hotel it is really nice. The staff was very nice and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. I really enjoyed the shower, especially, after spending a day battling New Delhi heat and traffic. It is totally worth it if you plan to go out and see the city. The staff is really good at helping you find ways to get around. The hotel actually sent taxis to pick us up from the airport and the train station. There was some construction going on, but considering the typical sounds of Delhi, it really wasn't that bad.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Usagi228
Varanasi, India
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We chose this Hotel through the Lonely Planet guide book . The Hotel is no doubt situated in the busy area of New Delhi. The plus point is that it is conveniently located close to the main train station. The room we got was quite spacious . The room would have been much cleaner had the hotel not gone under renovation work. But, the staff tried their level best to give us a good stay. They shifted us to their sister hotel next door for extra 500 rupees. Their hotel next door is definitely amongst the best hotels we stayed in India.
The rooms under renovation will surely come up with more modern changes and upgraded facilities

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quiter than the front ones.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends