“Don’t judge a book by its cover”

Radisson Blu Marina Connaught Place
Ranked #115 of 708 Hotels in New Delhi
London, England, United Kingdom
“Don’t judge a book by its cover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and found the outside of the hotel looked unappealing and unwelcoming however once you are inside it’s a different story. The hotel looks recently refurbished in the public areas. Bedrooms are OK nothing on the wow here some are internal which a friend stayed in and thought these could be claustrophobic for some. The carpet leading to the rooms looks revolting! The surrounding areas of the hotel are very central close to the subway but they really need to finish off the street works. Good breakfast

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I managed to get a web special at a really good price when I booked, at this hotel, and when checking in discovered why.
The hotel is pretty much worn out and old. It needs a serious revamp and is also in the middle of a huge construction site in the Connaught Place area. My feeling is that the hotel should have closed whilst all the work was going on around it. The food was very average. The location could be quite nice if not for the mess caused by the construction.
I found he staff to be quite arrogant, and when I sent a complaint to Radisson, it was not very well delt with at all.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Rob_DM

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed from 8 to 11 May 2012 on my first trip to India. GPS coordinates are N28 38.004 E077 13.019, but Google Maps does not appear to be accurate.

Overall, the property and stay were very good. Would recommend to others on vacation or business in Delhi. It is approximately a 3 minute walk from Rajiv Chowk metro station (exit 8)---Line 2 (Yellow). Upon walking up the stairs (no ramp, escalator, or obvious elevator), from exit 8, you will see a road dividing Section A and Section B. The hotel is located on section G which is directly behind Section A. Connaught Place is a circle with an inner and outer ring. Clockwise the inner ring is A thru F, and the outer ring is G thru M. Learned this the hard way when I walked the entire inner circle with my luggage because I thought Section G would be next to Section F.

As mentioned in other posts, the entrance to the hotel is on the ground floor. There was at least one security guard to x-ray my luggage or camera bag each time I entered the property, but they did not seem to care or notice that I was walking around their airport style metal detector. Reception is on the second floor accessible via stairs or elevator. There is no obvious signing to the hotel, so if you have walked more than 5 minutes from the metro station, stop and get directions.

Checked in at approximately 20:00, and it was delayed by a few minutes. Room was clean, modern, with an easy to control air conditioner. Could hear hallway noise and when you are in the hallway, room noise—conversations, TV, coughing—could easily be heard. Wall mounted LCD had maybe 3 or 4 English channels (BBC, Discovery, and Star Movies). Free WiFi was available using a provided password. It was relatively fast and stable. Sometimes I could watch Netflix on my IPad and other times I could not, so I would expect the same performance from Skype.

Provided one free 1 liter bottle of water each day. I requested an extra 2 bottles per day and was not charged. That was a pleasant surprise instead of trying to nickel and dime me to death. Two sugar cookies were provided each day in the room. Over 3 days, I found a single ant in my room each day. Two in the bathroom and one walking across the bed. From the first time I walked into the room and each time I returned after being out all day, there was a definite sewage odor in the bathroom. Am not a plumber, but I have faced this situation in Japan, China, Kuala Lumpur, and the Middle East at very nice hotels. It has something to do with the floor drain getting dry and allowing odors to travel up the pipes. Once I ran water down the sink drain, the odor went away. If I had been a first time traveler, I would have called the front desk.

On my second and third days, I experienced rolling blackouts. On the second day, the power went off at least 10 times for up to 1 minute at a time, then return as if nothing happened. There was a flashlight in the nightstand, but I recommend have a small LED flashlight in your carry-on for this exact situation. If I any of my electronic gear had been plugged in, I would have immediately unplugged them to prevent possible damage when the powered resumed.
Ate 3 breakfasts, 1 dinner, and 1 late lunch at the hotel’s 24hr restaurant. Standard hotel quality menu with something for everybody. Everything was OK—not bad, but not good, either. For breakfast ordered eggs at the omelet station and they were way under cooked to the point that I changed eating utensils after cutting into the eggs to reduce chances of food poisoning. At dinner I ordered mutton kebabs and nan, and they were OK. At my late lunch, I ordered fish and chips. Found a hair in the tartar sauce, and just made me lose what little appetite I had.

Wrote some postcards and needed to buy stamps. Asked young man at the front desk, he asked another staff member who directed us to the Travel Desk. Travel Desk called a manager to answer my question. Had already been told the location by a shop keeper and just wanted confirmation. Glad I did not ask from something extremely complicated.

Regular check out is 1200, but they offered late check out at 1600 for no additional charge. Check out was easy and checked my bags because my flight was not until 0200 the next morning. I used the extra time to explore Connaught Place. Caught the Airport Express to and from New Delhi Station which cost 80 rupee ($1.40 USD) each way. New Delhi Station is 2 stops away on the yellow line.

Had to catch a 0615 train from New Delhi Railway Station to Agra to visit the Taj Mahal. Arranged for a car thru the hotel, and it cost 400 rupee ($7.11 USD). It is not very far, but allow extra time because of the traffic.

My only other recommendation is to have as many small bills as possible. Everytime I tried to break a 1000 rupee note ($17 USD), it was very difficult. Even at the major tourist sites, nobody seemed to have change, but they would be happy to take your larger bill and not provide you change.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank TokyoBob1975
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I am only puzzled with this hotel. Everything about it was strange. The outside looks spooky and shabby, the entrance looks like that of a 2 star hotel with security guards in the parking trying to act like they are going to attack you and every car coming in, the lobby is very ordinary with worn out carpets, the staff inexperienced and incompetent....

If this wasn't enough, I saw the strangest thing, there are 2 travel desks in the hotel! - a sort of a desk and another one which is a private company/office (looks much more impressive than the idiots sitting at the desk outside). Now, this pvt. co. offers the same kind of services at half price!! Who would be a fool to hire services of the hotel travel desk - supposedly the radisson!!! The staff is atrocious - they tried to sell us a taxi and 4000 rupees - thats like almost a 100 dollars - am i really in india?? or r they trying to fool me??

If you go to this hotel - its at ur own risk! - hazard warning - dont hire travel services from this desk!!

to sum it up -- strangest experience ever!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ben t
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

i like this hotel..and i wana stay there again but i like most room cleaning...i was stay in bussines class room..room boy placed my all useable thing in prober way..and he also inform me about tourest place in delhi..he he make swan ..which was so beautifull .....thanky u

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank rohittt
Oregon, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

Nice hotel, good service, good for business and very comfortable. Surrounding area is undergoing serious construction chaos, this place is an oasis of calm. Easy access using the new airport metro - 20 minutes or so. Easy access to the train station and to the metro grid for going anywhere in Delhi and they have local complimentary cars.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room away from the ring road. The rooms on the back side are very quiet.