“Hated It”

Ranked #267 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
delhi
“Hated It”
Reviewed December 10, 2008

We stayed at Janpath to get our infant son out of the Diwali noise and air pollution.

When we arrived the staff were doing their Diwali worship in the lobby and we had to wait over 20 minutes just to check in. Not a single member of the staff volunteered to help us check-in and get us to our room before they were done. We were left hanging around in the lobby (frigid) while the staff sang songs!!

The beds were too narrow and uncomfortable, the wooden tiles on the floor were creaky, the AC was turned on full blast turning the room into an ice chest, the food was too full of chillies and not really good anyway, the hotel staff were shouting across the corridor to each other (terrible when the sound echoes.)

To top is all, they have the nerve to call the Janpath a 4 star hotel and charge a "luxury" tax.

It would be hard to call this hotel a 2 star on all counts.

We would not stay here again or recommend it to our friends.

• Liked — looks OK
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank idea_talk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Hyderabad
Reviewed December 3, 2008

I was sponsored by CNN-IBN(news channel) a trip to Delhi to watch the 1st ODI between India-England in March 2006. Upon reaching Delhi I was transferred to Hotel Janpath for my stay. The hotel was awesome and I have never experienced such incredible service before.
Dinner was the best I had over there, and the accomodation was simply satisfactory. It was an old structure but was simply magnifiecient in its serenity and beauty.
If you want a mix of the old and the new then this Hotel is a must.

• Liked — spacious and comfortable
  • Disliked — No negatives
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled solo
greater noida
Reviewed November 10, 2008

i loved the way of their welcome to the guest......
the facilities were good.........
there is slight problem of room adjustment but it can't be mind.......
overall its a good experience

• Liked — bedding
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I didn't stay at this hotel. I was strapped for a hotel at the last minute & this hotel was in the CP section of my Lonely Planet guide. The first shock was the location- while its in the CP area, the hotel is located off of Janpath in a dilapidated looking side alley. The building from the outside read "MAJOR DIVE" all over it...dirty and unruly. I took a hotel tour of the rooms which was like going through a depressing mental asylum maze of green walls, semi dark hallways and flourescent lights, where they were on. The rooms I was shown had NO windows and while it seemed like it might be clean, my 200Rs budget hotel at Cozy Hotel in Pahar Ghanj was looking a lot more chic, clean and safe by the minute. The only visual peace I could stammer was the restaurant patio area which was the only place that wasn't as claustrophic and offered a bit brighter of a vibe. This was a HOLE, not a 4-star hotel and definitely NOT worth the price they're asking! There was no way I could stay there & I even considered throwing my LP guide in the toilet. I ended up going back to my Pahar Ghanj budget.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank GRRRLTRAVELER

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Bangalore
Reviewed May 9, 2008

First of all, this hotel's lobby is very cold but I wonder what happens to the A/C when we reach the room. Food is very overpriced at a cup of coffee(if ordered through room service) costs more than Rs.80. Food is good in the Sagar Rathna restaurant which provides South Indian fare but the Gulnar restaurant which provides a variety of cuisines is just about okay and priced at slightly higher rates. The rooms are quite spacious but have minimal facilities. The cupboard is also small. The walk from the lift to my room was so long that I felt I was walking from the left wing to the right wing of the Salarjung museum. Also, do not expect fast billing before 12 noon and do give notice atleast 1 1/2 hours before. Hotel staff are not very friendly and seem quite cold.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
mumbai
Reviewed February 12, 2008

We were booked into the Janpath by a reluctant colleague when we simply couldn't find anywhere else. It is not filthy, and there was hot water but that is about all that can be said in its favour. The staff were unhelpful, the food below average, the rooms ill equipped. Many rooms appear to be derelict and abandoned, or being refurbished. We both agreed we had stayed in far better hotels in major European capitals for less than a quarter the price we paid here.

• Disliked — very, very poor value for money
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrispanda
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed February 3, 2008

I did not stay at this hotel but I did visit prior to our
actual stay there. I toured the hotel with
hotel staff and they graciously showed us a room
on the 4th floor. The location of the hotel is great
and by the appearance driving up it looked very
favorable considering the price. The lobby was
small, not grand at all but clean and presentable.
The elevators were the old English lift type and
worked well. Upon our accent to the 4th floor,
I was the first to get out of the elevator. Directly
to my left was a part of the hotel or not, I wasn't
sure that was in the midst of construction. No
plastic tarps, no barriers, just a hallway with tools,
sawdust, wood and construction materials thrown
about. The hallways were bare and deserted. It
reminded me of a mental hospital you saw on TV
from the 50's. The room doors were old, didn't see safe and I
couldn't believe what I was seeing. I would not spend 10 minutes in that room let alone a night. The furniture was damaged, the pillows looked 20y ears old and it was so very dingy and dirty everywhere. Black marks from dirty hands were
on the walls. The bathroom was completely disgusting.
Granted, old and clean is fine, this was old, filthy and
disgusting. I looked in the tub and it was peeling. Crusted
dirt and scum was around the rim. I couldn't bare to look
any longer. I had to leave. We cancelled our reservations for
the return trip to Delhi. I'm so happy we went to check it out
before checking in. Not recommeded unless you will sleep
anywhere.

• Liked — Lobby?
  • Disliked — Filth
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family