“Good Clean Room with decent hosts in not the best area”
Review of Smyle Inn

Smyle Inn
Ranked #19 of 1,098 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We stayed at the Smyle Inn for three nights. This was our first stop on a quick two week tour through India. We arrived at 5 a.m. and went straight to bed. The Bazaar area where it is located is an eye opener to say the least if it is your first time in India. It is a very dirty area with way too many touts and beggars.

All this being said, the room we received was very clean. The air conditioner did not work and the manager reluctantly gave us a new room where it did work. It seemed like the staff preferred to do nothing if that was an option. You had to be persistent in order to get what you wanted.

The price of the accommodation was good and it was definitely a clean room with a comfortable bed.

If you are just looking for a clean, safe place to rest your head and don't really care is the area is nice around the hotel, then this place is perfect.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Smyle Inn

Reviewed April 14, 2008

I was shocked to see that I got enSuite with hot / cold water, free internet, free breakfast and all for a small amount of around 10GBP. They had a counter where I could book cheap airline ticket for my visit to Goa. The internet had headphones and mike and I could speak to everyone back home using Skype.

The staff was helpful and friendly and guided me to good places to eat and shop in the nearby areas.

I have also taken a Golden Triangle tour from them which I will embark on after I come from Goa just prior to leaving for home.

Overall this is a Fantastic value for money.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2008

Booking the hotel was easy from their website www.smyleinn.com . Let me set the expectations right that this is a basic place but comes out to be a value for money hostel. It provides free internet access, free breakfast. There is a roof top sitting area which gives a good view of the chaotic old city constructions. It was good to chill out there. There is a small travel counter that helped me with a reasonable costing travel package for Rajasthan which I enjoyed very much. They also helped with onward airline ticket. The manager and the staff was OK and were helpful if we had any issues. They also helped in getting the used to the place. Word of advise, please do take their airport pickup service which is a big plus, otherwise it will be very difficult locating their place.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2007

We booked here for 2 nights and arrived in the middle of the night, the airport pickup was waiting for us, which is the only good thing I have to say about the Smyle Inn. That pickup cost us 450 Rs, + we were hounded for a 200 Rs tip by the driver for a trip that should only cost 250-300.

The room is dirty and disgusting, we got a few hours sleep and headed out to find another one. The place is in the middle of a main bazaar, expect dogs, chickens & cows to keep you awake ALL night and then just when you doze off the morning markets will open. Hot water is non-existant.

Staff were friendly, yet obviously trying to make money off you just like everyone else in delhi.

Hands down the worst hotel I've ever been in. BUT also the cheapest!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank jicks
Reviewed December 1, 2007

This budget hostel is cheap, as clean as budget accommodation gets and very central (alley just off Parghanj near railway station in budget backpackers area). You get a TV that works, warm to cold shower - sheets -and a towel and pillow if you ask (they are very grubby i.e. not washed after every user but this is common in India).

Rooftop is small, dirty and awful, no view as screens around it and noisy generator constantly mowing. However, I did meet really nice people there funny enough.

The owner is extremely rude and arrogant. He made life difficult for me and a few others - no-one liked him. He never told you whether you could stay another night until the next morning at 10am so you had to hang around, he seemed to like the 'power'. He was very aggressive and questioned everyone on where they had spent their money i.e. why not with him.

I would not stay there again as travelling through India I have stayed at a variety of places but all with charming and hospitable and helpful owners and managers. However, Smyle Inn is organised, central, clean and functional so you could do worse however this guy does not deserve the business he gets from his disgusting attitude.

Karen, England

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Naama
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Smyle Inn is a just wonderful place in this hectic area of town. Very nice people, superb clean rooms. I've stayed there 2+1 nights, booked the city tour of Delhi and it was just great. Having arrived from Europe in the middle of night, airport transfer was waiting. Day after, city tour was just great, very nice and honest driver, no cheating at all. I was on a fairly short trip to India, 5 days only, 2 days Delhi, Jaipur, Agra, Delhi - this place is just a heaven in this busy area. Walking distance to the railway station, Connought Place. Room are perfect clean, management superb, roof top terrace very nice, good breakfast. I've met a lot of people from Jaipur and Agra again in Smyle Inn. It's THE place to stay in this area of town. Don't get cheated by taxi/tuk-tuk/riksha drivers but insist they take you there. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2007

Before I went to Delhi, I found this guest house and booked through internet. During booking, I requested them to give me Airport pick up service, which cost me Rp450. However, when I arrived in delhi airport, they didn't turn up. Somehow, I paid Rp250 to get the prepaid taxt service to the same destination, which nearly make me felt into the famous "hotel running out of room" scam.
Once I arrived there, the owner insisted that his driver is there, and requested me to pay the pick up service, at least half. I disagree as I have tried to search for half an hour and at least 3 rounds, but I still couldn't find.
At the end, he didn't manage to make me pay.

During leaving time, he "offered" me a taxi service to airport at Rp200, which I found it is cheaper than prepaid booth. After leaving the guest house, I have to carry my backpack and walked for 15min to the end of Main Bazaar road, and waited there for another half an hour. Just because I need to share the taxi with another passager.

Although the room is pretty clean, but the hot shower is not working. And I strongly felt that this owner is making all his way to earn tourist money.

• Stayed: October 2007