“Third rate hotel at the five star price”
Review of Hotel Samrat

Hotel Samrat
Ranked #419 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed November 11, 2006

Designating Hotel Samrat a five star hotel looks to me a big joke. I stayed there in October 2006 and it is a dirty and unkept .
Bathroom leaked, torn mattresses, dirty carpets, holes in walls etc. Baradari restaurant is horrible too. Many waiters but hardly any service they provide. Food was Ok but meats were undercooked.

Many managers are there just seeking bribes or tips. When I checked in they told me that hotel is available only for one night and I have to check out tomorrow. After checking in, the duty manager approached me that he will work out something tomorrow and advised me not to checkout. My reading was that he was looking for something. After two three hours he called my room to ask me that I should come down to meet him because he is alone at this time. Hence, a big tip was given...

Moreover, someone entered our room and stole 1.6 lakh rupees along with 210 US dollars and a checkbook. It happened when we went for a dinner in hotel restaurant called Baradari. The friendly manager knew our plans for dinner time (when and where), the same man who let us stay for another night.

In conclusion, don't stay in this unsafe and a rat hole.

Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank lion1611

Reviewed April 17, 2006

Our first choice hotels were booked up, so our driver took us here. What a mistake 7500 INR for a dump. We left after seeing the room, the 4 alternatives offered were just as bad. Everything the other reviewers mentioned are still the same, bare wires, grey sheets, stained worn carpets, baths that were disgusting. The corridoor walls were horrible. I was prepared to sleep in the airport rather than stay here. Awful, awful, awful.
We left and checked into The Hyatt - worth every penny.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank Frankie707
London UK
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Do not stay at this hotel. For a start, it's only partly a hotel. The upper floors, and part of the 1st floor where there are guest rooms, are obscure Government office eg Telephone disputes Tribunal, Ministry of Forests etc. The rooms are Ok if a bit down at heel, but the corridors are shabby with junk piled up on the staircases. The pool was 'closed' in high season, and the gardens scruffy with no chairs etc. Breakfast in the Red Chilli restaurant was poor, dismal decor and limited food, which ran out. No way is this a 5 star hotel.

The hotel appears to make its money from a nightclub which belts out incredibly noisy music at least one night a week so that you can't sleep. When the nighclub is closed, the restaurant may be let out for equally noisy parties. We had to move rooms at midnight.

Curiously, there is a rather good new restaurant on the hotel premises, stylish, modern and a good menu, if almost no customers. [Not the Red Chilli]

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed October 11, 2005

This is the worst hotel I and my family have ever stayed in. Grey sheets, bare wires inserted into electric sockets. It's not only dirty, it's simply not safe. The entrance is nice, but a complete facade! You will be shocked to see the state of the rooms.
They have 4 bell boys who don't have much to do for most of the time - it's a pity they couldn't give one of them a paint brush to start redecorating the bedrooms. I would never stay in an Ashok property again. The rooms aren't cheap either, I can't believe that it gets away with masquerading as a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 19, 2005

As a frequent traveller I was completed dissappointed with this hotel. From the start the service was appalling. The car I booked to collect me from the Airport never turned up. When I checked in there was no apology or offer to credit the charge. They also were confused and tried to charge me twice even though I had paid e-globe on-line. The foyer was being sandblasted all week and the rest of the hotel was completed dilapidated, musty with regular power cuts. I had cockroaches in my room and the so-called drinking water was in broken sealed out-of-date bottles with the labels torn off. It was my Birthday on the 13th and when I went to the bar to buy a celebration beer, I was told they had run out of stock! There was no Internet or business meeting rooms to hold meetings.
In brief, every aspect of the service, facilities and accomodation was the worst standard I ever experienced. It was a short stay and only because I had pre-arranged meetings, I'd have checked out the following day.
How they can claim 5 star is totally bewildering.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver,Colorado
Reviewed July 12, 2005

We had booked for 2 nights at Hotel Samrat through a travel agent as it was closer to the US Consulate.

We drove back from Jaipur Thursday evening (30th June, 2005) and checked into Hotel Samrat. We went to the reception and checked in. We took an elevator to the 4th floor and had to walk past smoke filled government offices to our room. As soon as we entered it was one of the worst rooms i had ever seen in my life filled with cigarette smoke eventhough it was supposed to be a non-smoking room. We tried another room in 3rd floor which was of similar condition. Then we were told that we will get another newly renovated room and as soon as we entered this room we could smell the paint.

That was it!. We could not take it anymore and talked to the manager that we wanted to check out. So there it was. The shortest checkout!.

Also i wanted to get a copy of the cancellation confirmation and the manager was rude saying that they wont give us the copy. She said we could complain to anyone we wanted and she didn't care.

So Please skip any of the "TheAshokGroup" properties. PLEASE!

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Liverpool England
Reviewed April 5, 2005

An impressive entrance and that's where it ends. Musty, old and bare rooms requiring complete renovation. There isn't a mini bar, tea/coffee facilities or trouser press as advertised. Staff totally unhelpful at reception. Give it a miss!!!!

• Stayed: March 2005