“Good value for money?”

Ranked #119 of 1,096 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Bonn, Germany
“Good value for money?”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

OK for one night and you get good value for money, our room was in pretty good shape though a bit small, but the two boys at the reception where an absolute catastrophy, laziest lads in the world who hardly spoke any english. The stairs need a handrail or else someone will get killed sooner or later!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Hotel near the NEW Delhi Railway Station not the Delhi Junction in Old Delhi. So when I arrived early morning, I need to take the metro and walk from the metro station. Hotel entrance is bit difficult to find if you don't look at the photos of their website (other than the Citibank ATM Machine outside and urine stands next to it which smells very bad). Staff is very helpful to make up the room for me. Room is basic. The only window in the room and the bathroom shares the wind tower of the building. I turned on the exhausted fan while taking a hot shower however the bad smells come so I have to turn off the exhausted fan immediately. The fan inside the room make a lot of noise at speed 4 and 5 but speed # 3 is hot. Though they change the bed sheet and pillow case, they are still not clean. I use my own towel for shower and take a nap afterwards. I took the given towel to cover myself. Just about few seconds, I got a sharp bite on my tight. I flip the towel immediately but can't find anything. I leave it with the blankets and don't touch it anymore. Drinking glass is not washed and you can see all the marks on it. Some small roaches inside the bathroom sink and floor. Flushing water is weak. The reception said the properly started 2012/11 but the condition is not. Wifi is ok in the room not until heavy rain in the evening and it starts not working. My room is on the 3/F with a hallway but can clearly hear the noise from the reception and people closing doors. Can't comment what type of car they provide for airport transfer for INR400.- but outsides many places offer for INR300.-. They asked me if I would like to share with someone since am leaving to nite. Since I don't leave the room at least 45 mins after so I just get an auto for INR180.- myself.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Paid for this place on Agoda, which said there would be fresh bottled water, air conditining etc. Realised when i returned that night that there was no air conditioning. window looked out into a 1x1m wide very tall shaft (the whole area round there is tall built up old buildings). room was very clean, had a satellite TV that I have no use for myself, no toilet roll, bed that was really hot and sweaty (?plastic sheet?), blanket but no sheet to lie under (provided without hassle when requested), and no chair in the room, no lobby, balcony or terrace to go to. There were apparently air conditioned rooms. But I had had such a hot stuffy horrible night that I'd booked somewhere else online in the meantime.

Pros:
Kind, decent man in charge - gave me a full refund for my second night after offering me room with air con. Also offered me chai and quite a tasty samosa and some good advice on where to go in Delhi
Shower was actually pretty hot
WiFi pretty good on 1st floor
Quiet (as only 1 window onto a shaft)
Close to metro station and New Delhi Railway station
Pretty clean

Cons:
Area is really quite unpleasant (in my opinion, after 15 days in India), doesn't really feel that safe as a single woman in the daytime let alone nighttime, and taxis can't get closer than about 100m to the door (because of one way streets, they say), which makes life a bit limiting in the evenings, esp when there is nowhere in the entire place to sit.
Hot rooms
Hot bed ?plastic sheets
Window onto a dark shaft
Agoda was charging 18 dollars for one of the nights I stayed there - this was too expensive

Conclusion: If you can get it cheap, and you're quite okay with very lively areas full of people hassling you all the time, and you don't have much use for air conditioning, seating or natural light (eg a 1 night stay for 2 people), this place may well be pretty okay for you.

Room Tip: room 3 lacks air con and natural light but is silent at night time
Tha Khaek
Reviewed March 31, 2013

S.B. Inn, New Delhi

(There is a WARNING at the bottom of this somewhat long post).

This was our first hotel upon arriving in India. The front desk staff are quite helpful, and the owner is extremely accommodating. The airport pick-up is trustworthy and inexpensive. The rooms have very nice bathrooms and never heat up, but the rooms we stayed in have windows facing dark concrete shafts. This means that the air quality can sometimes feel quite damp; the night we arrived, the sheets were damp so we asked for new ones, but they were also damp. We slept in sleeping bag liners.

The major downside of this hotel is that the rooms are very dusty; the tops of the cupboards have never been dusted, and the first room we stayed in (which we requested we be moved out of for the second night of that stay) had over a centimeter of drywall dust and rubble on its cupboard. Thus, when the fan gets turned on, it whirls up a dust cloud so that the air is less breathable than the street outside.

The breakfast they’ll pick up for you is great – the toasted omelette sandwich (bread omlette) they’ll get you is delicious – but check the water before you drink it: we were given one that had been refilled and glued.

WARNING: My girlfriend and I would not recommend staying here as a single woman; one day when I went out, three men knocked on the door of our room (two hotel staff and a “TV repairman”) and pushed into the room when my girlfriend answered it to “see if the TV was working” while my girlfriend was alone in the room. This was quite suspicious, and I happened to arrive back and surprise the three of them dawdling around and staring at my girlfriend as she huddled on the bed. Regardless of whether the TV was working or not, it seems utterly moronic of SB Inn to allow this kind of behavior to happen, given the extremely high prevalence of gang rapes in India. My girlfriend felt extremely unsafe after this event.

We would not stay here again, regardless of the average status of this hotel.

Room Tip: Tip: 1. Use the dusty wool blankets on the bed as a “tarp” over the dust on the top of the cupboard...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kneel1989
sbinn895, Owner at Hotel S.B. Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Customer
I have read your review .During your stay I had personally explained you that there was a problem in cable TV in all the rooms in my hotel so I had called a repairman and I had sent two of my staff members who are working with me for so many years so that they can keep eye on repairman. If in any way this made you feel insecure I am really sorry .But for safety and security of people staying in my hotel .
I have installed 8 CCTV camera in all common areas and there is a recoding going on 24 hrs this is for security of all customers staying with us

I have noted your complaints about dust on top of cupboard I will take care about it .We do not sell any eatables or any drinks in hotel you made a order to one of my staff who got it from the store in the street . I think he bought what is selling in the street .
I am again sorry for discomfort caused to you and your girlfriend if any .
Regards Mike
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at Hotel S. B. Inn 3 times on my recent trip to India as I passed through Delhi multiple times. I found the manager and all the staff incredibly honest, straightforward, and helpful, with a real concern for their clients well being. From my 4am airport pick-up, to helping me mail letters, walking me to a near-by hygienic restaurant my first morning in town, recommendations for places to visit, concern for my personal safety, luggage storage after check out for a day, accommodating unusual arrival and departure times, and friendly honest service, I felt really lucky to have found S. B. Inn. The location is a 5 minute walk to the New Delhi Railway Station and the Metro line. The rooms are cleans and functional. As the building is tucked into a narrow side alley the rooms are also quiet, although do not expect a view from your window. They are basic rooms, but they are very nice, with hot water, clean linens, fan and a/c, good lighting, enough space, and free wifi throughout the building. As a single female traveling I found S.B. Inn refreshing, safe, and peaceful. I've been traveling solo for the last 5 months throughout Asia, and this was the first place I thought- "I really must write a good review for this place!" Note- this place can book up full so pre-book your stay or expect you may be disappointed.

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

In Delhi you need a quiet escape. Hotel S.B. Inn provides this option with clean and quiet rooms that are also equipped with fast and reliable Wi-Fi and a cable TV with over a hundred English channels. The bathroom was exceptionally good... almost unbelievable for this price in Pahar Ganj. Highly recommended.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I chose S. B. Inn despite it only has few reviews as compared to other guesthouses. Nevertheless, I'm so glad I made the right choice! The guesthouse is strategically located in the Paharganj area which is easy access to New Delhi train station which is just 10mins away by walking. The room is clean, and worth the value. Mike, the owner and his staffs are so so helpful! They always went extra miles to help us in anything we need! Mike even let us charged our phone while we're away to explore the town. I definitely highly recommend this guesthouse to anyone who's coming to Delhi! Thank you Mike for your generosity and your great hospitality, we had a great stay in Delhi!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends