“Reasonable hotel in a good location...with areas to improve”
Review of Hotel Gulnar

Hotel Gulnar
Ranked #588 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Booked this hotel for my trip in Feb 2013. Firstly, i think the response time from Puneet Sharma was great and he booked me a room without an advance which according to me is pretty trusting of them.

The room itself - I booked a "Super Deluxe" room, well...for about 3.5k INR you cant expect much of super luxury, but it was ok, just dont go by their names of Super Deluxe.

The area - Pretty good area by itself, but the hotel is on the main road and I was given a road facing room. The windows are not sound proofed and I realized that on the first night. A dog would come every night and keep barking exactly under the hotel, it was soooo irritating. I never had a restful sleep. The minimum the hotel should do is get its windows sound proofed

The hotel - Its got this weird design which looked cool in the photos but wasnt so when you look at it. The kitchen in at the bottom and the funnel design ensures you get to hear every frying pan and every drop of water falling. Add to the road noises, this just makes it a bit more uncomfortable.

The Breakfast - Pretty basic, quite a few things keep running out

The Staff - Generally i found the staff very very helpful, always smiling and eager to help. This was the highlight and i think the hotel is worth staying because everybody is so genuinely interested in pleasing you. However on the last day, i asked one of the guys to buy me a nice Brown Scotch tape, he came back with one and said it was INR30, I even tipped him another 20 before my wife realized, its a used one. The guy gave me the hotel tape!! Plus I had been to the reception asking for one and they had told me we dont have one!! Ultimately he paid back my money, but that still was in bad taste in an overall spotless staff behaviour.

Travel Desk - i booked a taxi to the airport from there, a taxi came and didnt turn on the air con stating the AC has loose wiring. I specifically negotiated for a AC taxi. I asked the guy to stop, turn back and I'll call for a call cab and guess what happens magically...the loose wiring resolves itself and the AC starts working.
Moral of the story - Delhi will remain a "Choron ki nagari (A city of thieves, as its called )", be careful of conning schemes including with your taxi folks including "Oh there's a traffic jam there, i'll take you to a better market to shop", etc...etc.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the back of the hotel, not facing the main road.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Forbidden_apple

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had been keenly awaiting the opening of this new hotel right next to my regular joint (Hotel Maank) at Karol Bajgh. It was under a development for a couple of years and always on my radar so I chose when I got a recent chance to visit Delhi. The rates were higher than usual. The breakfast was disappointing. It was laid out in an open area overlooking the kitchen. The room I got was a corner room. The a/c made a lound humming sound. I think i will be back to my regular haunt. Sorry Gulnar.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Danny03
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had 2 night stay at the Gulnar on our golden triangle tour to India. All the hotels on our tour was Good, but this is THE BEST., Again from the minute we arrived to the minute we left the staff could not do enough for us. Our room was amazing as were the facilities of the hotel. If travelling to India and to Delhi then I would definitely recommend this hotel. Thanks for a great stay

Room Tip: Front side Room For Good View
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Puneet S
Mrinal_Upadhyay, Director of Sales at Hotel Gulnar, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Sir
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in New Delhi. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, Guest Feedback encourage us in improving our service.It is our endavour to provide you best of the services while you stay in our hotel. As our guest's satisfaction is our main priority. It is very important for us that our guests’ experiences are shared. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon at our hotel.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

...What else can you ask for? Its not the Radisson Blu, so temper expectations accordingly

Booked through one of the online sites and it was very affordable for Delhi. Hotel Gulnar is located in Channa Market was a very good for my needs for shopping in Karol Bagh, visits to Patel Nagar, etc. Centrally located for virtually most of Delhi.

Noise level was reasonable. Food was affordable, though a bit spicy. Their Car service was reliable

Suggestions for improvement: Breakfast was included, though variety was limited. No air conditioning in the winter, but they can provide a heater if needed.The internet was very fast the first three days, but slowed to a crawl on day 3. Seemed to be an issue with their service provider.

On the whole a very good experience. Will use again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park in the round about...That's about as good as the view gets.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
20  Thank kumar6851

Reviewed March 7, 2013

It was my first hotel in India and the worst one!
All started with the 'free airport pickup'. The driver tried to charge me 200 Rupees for the airport parking. The prepaid taxi rate to the hotel is 300 Rupees. So what's the sense of this 'free' pick up.
The room smelled cigarettes. The linen was smelly, dirty, contained hair and I suspect it wasn't changed from the previous guest.The next day I changed the room (smelled way better and sheets looked clean too) but the safe was not opening. When I asked the reception to repair the safe or change the room they said no other room was available. It was clearly a lie because the hotel was empty the whole time. They also said that the safe would be repaired by 11 am. I waited till 11 but nobody came. They offered me to keep an eye on my valuables in the reception. I was reluctant ,but because I needed to leave the hotel I was forced to accept. The package contained passports, money and jewellery in a zipped pouch. On my return , when I was handed back the package I checked passports and money. Later, when I already checked out of the hotel I wanted to put on my golden chain and it was no longer in the pouch.This hotel was the only place the package was not in a hotel's safe or on me. Obviously they didn't touch anything I would need right away and would have realised soon enough they went through my package. They took one thing a tourist would be afraid to wear in the streets of Delhi, you so would realise it;s absence only later when it's impossible to prove anything.
The whole experience of this hotel was just dreadful, including the breakfast, it's restaurant meal in the evening, area it is situated.
My advise, pay a little more and you will be in a safe place, where there will be no extortion on every step of the way and where you will not risk your valuables.
Gulnar is not such a place.

Room Tip: Look through several rooms. Make sure safe works and the bed linen smells fresh and is clean.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank gromegrom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here in this hotel from 3rd March to 5th March 2013.

Pros : Room and Toilets are clean.

Cons : I had booked the hotel rooms via email almost a month back and one day before checkin I had reconfirmed my reservation via telephone call. But when I reached, I was told there is no reservation in my name.!!!! and I was told they can give me room only for the 1st and 3rd day, for the 2nd day, I need to adjust in some other hotel. Later they compensated by reduciing room rent for the 2nd day (for some other hotel) and also gave a complimentory airport drop.
Breakfast Buffet has very limited stuffs.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Satvik K
Reviewed February 14, 2013

A pleasant stay, within the hotel. closer to metro station. Courteous front desk manager & rest of the staff. Good food served. No hassle in early morning check out.Midsize lobby with small sitting with newspaper rack available for visitors. Key less room door entry , so better security.

Room Tip: Front Room has street light falling in the room even with curtains on.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business