“walk about life and culture”

Slum Walks In Delhi (Providing Education To Everyone)
Ranked #36 of 485 Tours in New Delhi
More attraction details
Owner description: Ever interested in how people survive and live their life in slums? This walk is organised by a local NGO and registered non-profit organization called PETE India (Providing Education to Everyone). 100% of the proceeds go to support our projects. Participants will accompany a guide through the maze of small streets and alleys of a 5.5 hectare slum in West Delhi for 2 hours. He will show you how millions of people live their lives in the slums of Delhi each day. While in the slum, you'll have the opportunity (if you wish) to have traditional tea with a family during which they can share their personal story of survival and life in the slums. You will visit the three schools that your donations directly support and meet the students and teachers.The aim of this walk is not to "visit" or make poverty a "tourist attraction", but is to exchange experiences with people, allowing the locals a rare opportunity to interact with foreigners if they wish.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Alphen aan de Rijn, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“walk about life and culture”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I booked this tour 2 times during my stay in new delhi first one in last year alone in august and one this year with friends,First walk i booked which i attended single was in baba faridpuri was for 3 hours and i had good experience meeting people drinking homemade tea talking to people playing with lovely school kids my guide was ballu that time who i learnt when i booked again this tour with my friends.to the slums where artists are living was a particular experience too with little performance of puppetier this tour ended in 2 hours people here is more friendly than the first one and less clean and with lot of kids and colours. I am happy to learn that pete org is building a school here for the kids and providing jobs to their parents who are very talented artists for sure.

P.E.T.E. ik wens juliie veel geluk

Visited January 2013

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Singapore, Singapore
“Artists in the slum”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

It was very interesting to see how people were living in the slum and it felt like the tour gave a realistic picture of what life in the slum is like. We got to meet an artist family living in the slum and they even did some performances for us. And the fee we paid is used to build a school in the slum so it's good to know that the money goes to a good cause.

Visited December 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“This was not a slum tour”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked a private slum tour with PETE in order to see a side of Delhi that tourists rarely get to experience and to get an insight in to some of the charities that are working to improve conditions for people in Delhi.

We were picked up by one of Pete's volunteers- Yogi, together with another volunteer who would be our guide on the tour. On our way to the slum Yogi informed us that we would be visiting an artists slum and there would be an opportunity to see some singing and dancing and also a puppet show. He also said that we could make a donation to help the artists if we liked. What he failed to point out was that this was all we would be doing during our visit. There was no actual tour of the slum.

On arriving at the slum, we quickly got out of the car and followed our guide through the slum to a hut. Walking through the slum was not a pleasant experience. Firstly, Yogi and our guide had not made much effort to explain what we were doing during our tour and we a bit bewildered when we got out of the car. Also, our guide spoke very little English and we didn't feel we could ask him where we were going. He made no effort to make us feel comfortable in what was quite an intimidating environment. As soon as we entered the slum he started walking quite quickly leaving my girlfriend and I to follow behind.

We entered a hut and were soon introduced to two teachers whilst the hut filled with children from the slum. Over the next two hours we saw the children and teachers singing and dancing and also a puppet show. Whilst some parts of this were enjoyable, the experience was very awkward overall. For the majority of the two hours, everyone in the hut was watching our reaction to every song and dance to see if were enjoying it and we didn't feel as if we could relax at any point.

Also, we were offered food and drink whilst watching the performance. Whilst we were reluctant to accept this from a hygiene perspective, we were also conscious of offending our hosts and this put us in quite an awkward position. We eventually had some chai and there were no ill effects afterwards.

As the performance ended, we were led back out of the slum and were given a lift back to our hotel having seen very little of the slum. The teachers followed us back to the car and despite Yogi telling us that a tip was optional, we were very much made to feel that this was mandatory.

Overall, the experience left us feeling very disappointed. We signed up for a tour of the slum and to understand the work of the charity and instead saw 2 hours of singing, dancing and puppetry. Had this been made clear to us from the outset we wouldn't have signed up for the tour.
We were keen to learn about the work of PETE and would have made a significantly larger donation had we be told anything about the charity's work. I feel like I learnt nothing about PETE during our visit.

To their credit, we did receive a receipt for our donation to PETE and as far as I can tell from their website, they are a registered charity which does some very worthwhile work. None of this came across during our visit though.

Visited October 2012
7 Thank Mcneesh
PeteIndia, Manager at Slum Walks In Delhi (Providing Education To Everyone), responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We honor people with sense of gratitude as mentioned in our response to earlier review we stopped walks in slums where we had nirvan school running bec of suicide of our guide who gave us land in his building to build up the school. In slums people are very close to each other and its considered very rude to take travelers on a walk in a area where recent death been there.We started artist slum walks only due to this and mentioned in our website too but in your case as you made booking approx 2 months ago we are sorry not to inform you by mail of our updates because it was a shocking incident for all of the pete and we stopped our slum walks too for the moment.Our guides understands Simple English but need practice understanding different accents.DAY you took walk with us we been provided by you hotel address differently than you are staying as you was staying in a sister concern hotel 3kms away (which you realized later too) took us an extra hour to locate you.Being this the reason our guide didnt had time to brief you abt the walk in the start of the tour not knowing too that you have not checked our updated website.We are a small charity who believe in working with grass root and our only source of contribution comes by walks we do.
We have donation box for clothes (which we wash and then distribute in slums once in 3 months)
We have exchange bookstore for convince of travelers in famous organic bakery in backpackers area with our posters informing abt our projects
We recruiting more young guides apart from which we have so that they can improve their English and provide job for them as well while doing it.
We are showing the l travelers real part of India plus art which is getting lost slowly if you support them and their family by giving them little tip of your own will you doing service to others.

We have no pushing policy while seeing puppet show,performances of artists during the walk and mentioned too not mandatory for travelers.
We take contribution in end of the walk for our slum walks if guest is not happy with the walk they have a option not to pay as we don't want any contribution for the walk if its not given by any of our guests by heart.
We apologise once again for inconvenience caused.we now stopped serving tea on walks as well .
Thanks for taking slum walks with us

Kind Regards
On Part of Pete team
Oslo, Norge
“Reality check - highly recomended”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This tour gave me so much in so many ways. I highly recomend the Pete in India slum walk.

The guides are very friendly and helpful. They are also very flexible regardning what day and time to go. Just ask, and you will figure something out. Me and my friend got a tour for about 3,5 hour where we got to see a lot of the slum in Baba Faridpuri.

You haven't seen Delhi if you haven't seen this. It's a must-do when visiting Delhi.

Visited August 2012
Milwaukee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“nice alternative excursion”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

In short, it's not bad. You just need to have appropriate expectations going into it and do your homework.

I took a slum tour on Sep 21, 2012 after reading about the tour on TripAdvisor. I was on my own and joined a group of 2 others visiting from Australia. We went to an artists slum in Delhi. I felt safe, everyone was friendly, and this was the closest interaction I had my entire week with "real" Delhi. The way the tours were advertised on the site and the tour I got were two different things, so either ask lots of clarifying questions up front or be willing to go with the flow a bit. My only hesitation is that I didn't see evidence of a school or location for a planned school or any literature (besides the website) or plans or something that would make me feel comfortable that the money you're paying for the slum walk tour is actually going to fund something real. I would suggest that they still drive by whatever sites they have as the school(s) even if it is not operating at the time of the tour.

Total time for the tour ended up being about 3 hours.

There wasn't narrated story of sorts to help give some context to the tour (i.e. a quick overview with the history of the area to be visited, some more fluid narration as we went along). We kind of just showed up, learned along the way a few pieces of information, walked through the slums (that was probably the best part), saw a puppet show, met some really cute kids, tried some food, drank some hot chai tea, and that was it.

I think the tour operators need to consider the health risk of serving food and beverages on the tour and make it very clear if it is safe for non-native people to consume it and maybe even explain what precautions were taken to make sure it was safe for tourists. I was extremely nervous about drinking tea and tasting food prepared inside a slum in India. So many peoples eyes got very wide when I told them I did that. I will say that I did taste some food and drank some of the chai tea and did not get sick.

The end of the tour was really informal. We paid our guide at a cafe that also serves as the office, I guess. Then we sat there indefinitely until those of us on the tour made eye contact and hinted that it was time to go.

I was extremely grateful to the main tour guide at the time, Yogi, who drove me all around Delhi to about 2 or 3 different stores, one of which wasn't even open, to help me find a soccer jersey that I wanted as a souvenir. Yogi is a really nice guy, I had a lot of great conversations with him about life and culture and reflecting our travels that day. As a female, I felt completely safe with him even on my own. He didn't try to rip me off or drop me to any stores that I didn't ask for which seemed very common on other tours I took while in India.

Be prepared to tip the artists and potentially an additional tour guide along the way. It wasn't required, but it did sort of pop up as we left the slum.

I don't think I learned a lot, but I had a memorable, invaluable experience that I'll always treasure when I think back to my first trip to India.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank KicksLikeAGirl
PeteIndia, Public Relations Manager at Slum Walks In Delhi (Providing Education To Everyone), responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Namaste,
Our teacher husband who was also a guide for the slums unfortunately committed suicide due to family problems just couple of days ago when you took walk it was a shock for both family and for us as he was inspiring young person with dreams like others to do something in life for him and people like him.we mention you in advance about this unfortunate incident and school is closed till end of October before taking the tour by our guide to other slums where artists live.We also advice to you(among other travelers) during walk if "wish" to watch the puppet show,dance and singing by artists its good to give some money whatever you feel like to give to artists in their hands as a sense of gratitude as it makes them happy and support them too but if not feel like also then there is not also problem and nobody asked you during whole walk too.Indian Hospitality is famous all over the world and if guest goes to home (specially poor) they offer tea and snacks as part of their tradition as for them guest is god.We do have in mind about the hygiene conditions of the guests that's why we offer tea and snacks which would not be problem for the guests as you mentioned too in your ref and other guests was there on tour had it also didn't had problem Other people doing similar walks after we started are charging 3 to 6 times for similar walk then our contribution.During the tour you was explained by the guide about the population and culture of the people living there and what they do for living and ladies of one of the family made tea for you. we gave receipt for every walk we do and pay money to our guides and support our future projects like the one we are opening up of school along with music lessons in first week of Nov in artist slums.
Thanks for taking walk with us and we hope to see you again with a positive note and maybe as volunteer for our school on your revisit to India.
Kind regards